Can you climb the Kukulkan pyramid at Chichen?

Sablerose

We're going to be in Progreso in late October/early November. We selected this cruise becuase it is a life's dream of mine to visit Chichen Itza and climb the Kukulkan pyramid.

I'm even working out to get myself into shape to do it.

Now I've read a couple of posts on other boards by people who haven't been there recently who suggest that one cannot climb the big pyramid.

Can anyone soothe my pain about this? I'll be really heartbroken if I don't have the chance to do that. We've already booked our Chichen excursion. Don't get me wrong - I joke that I was a Mayan in another life and I will truly enjoy every other part of the experience. I just always dreamed I'd look down from the top of that majestic structure.

In addition, if anyone has taken the guided tour that's offered as an excursion (I'll be on CCL) could you tell me if/how they give you enough time to do that, and anything else about the tour?

Please! Don't crush my dream! Can I climb the pyramid??

My last visit was Oct 2003 and at that time you could climb. The inside climb had limited hours though. Chichen Itza is an amazing experience. You will probably have about two hours touring. Wear a hat and loose clothing. Sunscreen and water and lots of film or memory.

Wear a hat

Check! My husband has been deployed in Central and South America and is bringing me home a Panama Hat!!

and loose clothing

Check! The working out has helped me lose weight which means all my comfy clothing is now VERY comfy!

Sunscreen and water and lots of film or memory.

This is one trip I am actually going to bring my "big, real camera" on. I have an Olympus C2100UZ with enough memory cards to build my own shelter out of if I needed to. No point-and-shoot for me, I'm going to completely revel in this experience. This is going to be the two hours of my lifetime... I hope I get to be like you, hdawson, and make a regular trip out of the Yucatan. I just have to get as much out of it as I can now!

I've done a little bit more researching and found some reviews of Chichen dated June of this year talking about people climbing the pyramid. With any luck, it'll be that way early November when we get there.

I almost get teary-eyed just knowing I'm finally going to see it. Does that make me weird? My husband says I must have been Mayan in another life and that I'm so excited because it'll feel like I'm going home. :eek: :D

Sablerose. I got my Panama hat in the central market in Merida. The best are not cheap. This is my second one and the fiber is very thin and tightly woven. Made in caves for the dampness. The kids weave one part and the men weave the other. Not sure which is which. Also have a couple of Guayabera shirts which are pretty cool in the tropics. Also when traveling, the extra pockets come in very handy.

The state of Yucatan is a great place for a land vacation. Very relaxing, very safe with lots to see and do. The people are warm, friendly and proud.

Merida is very clean and so safe that most police in town do not even carry sidearms.

Have a great time and report back on your return.

And from this old vet, many thanks to your husband for his service.

• 2 months later...

Sablerose,

You will love this tour. The bus ride is alittle long but it is broken up with a rest area break..also a gift shop.. My daughters and I went on Carnival Elation in June of 2005. It started out sunny but we did get some rain..oh well. There is so much to see. My girls loved it, ages 22 and 24. One of the girls climbed Chitzatiza? not sure of the spelling. Go for it! We took the tour from the Carnival and the price was fine. Some of our best pictures were at the ruins.

Michelle

• 2 weeks later...

I was at Chechen Itza this past December; yes, you can climb the outside. Yes, you can climb the inside passage way. A warning about that, though - it gets very hot inside and there is an unreal clammy feeling to the place. We didn't realize my son had claustrophobia until we went in, and he wasn't the only one.

But, the statute inside is something unreal to behold! We stayed overnight at Chechen Itza and loved it!

Don't worry, you CAN climb Chichen Itza on two different sides. The other two sides are left as they were found and are unclimbable.

If you want to climb inside, try to do it when its not crowded. There is only enough room one person and when people are trying to go both ways, its panic-inducing in someone who doesn't have claustrophobia. Personally, I didnt think the inside climb was worth it.

Don't neglect the rest of the park...there are a lot of very cool ruins all around the Castillo.

And if you haven't checked it out already, Hacienda Chichen is a great place to stay if you want to spend the night. Or even a lovely place to go have lunch if you are just there for the day. I'm not sure but I think you can walk out the back entrance and go to Mayaland or Hacienda Chichen. Mayaland is more modern. Hacienda Chichen is more traditional hacienda. Both have gorgeous grounds, big old trees....they are beautiful.

Have a great time!

Archived