Where to stay in New York, New York

General, my Dad -- the Major General :D -- tells me that the Rihga is a fantastic hotel. I didn't know this until just a little bit ago, but my parents have stayed there twice ... the last time being a little shy of 4 years ago, just prior to their last Transatlantic. Hence, while their experience is out of date it was, nevertheless, a positive one. Things may well have changed for the worse since then, but at least I have that to go on.

General --- I am thinking of taking the QM2 out of NYC in the Fall. If so, I plan to stop by and give it a quick look personally. Will post if that happens :)

Thank you, calm seas. I think based on Reverend Neal's response, I am satisfied and will continue with the reservations.

Cheers

General Max

July 18, 2005 review of Rihga Royal Suites.

Just returned from the Rihga and thoroughly enjoyed it. Hotel is clean, comfortable, safe, has a helpful staff (especially concierge) and good location. We were on a family girl trip - felt very safe and secure in location. Weren't in our rooms very much, but they were large, modern and comfortable. Easy walking distance to Broadway, 5th Avenue, Times Square and Grayline Double Decker bus tour pick up. Elevators were super fast. Only complaints would have been that we were charged $6.50/day to use ice in minibar. Hotel doesn't advise that they charge to use ice. Also, remote control on tv is very tricky and not very user friendly. You can easily rent a $12.99 in room movie without even realizing it. Front desk did admit they were still trying to work out the "kinks" with their system and kindly removed this charge from our bill. Also, check in was a little hairy - we arrived during a torrential rain storm - purchased umbrellas, checked our baggage & walked around until about 2pm. Check in is 3 pm. At 3:30, 2 of our 3 rooms were still not ready. Since we were cold, wet, and hungry, this didn't go over very well. Also, restaurant is very pricey, but so is everything else in NYC.

Cheers

General Max

Reverend Neal, I have a recommendation to eat at the Ben Benson's Steak house on West 52nd Street right near our hotel. Has anyone else had the opportunity to try this restaurant and how were the steaks and crab cakes?

Cheers

General Max

There is a great hotel, the Weehawken Sheraton Suites, just across the river from the cruise terminal in Weehawken, New Jersey. You get a lovely view of the cruise ships and the skyline of NYC. A five minute ferry ride take you to Manhattan. The ferry dock is at the foot of the hotel property. While in Manhattan you have the use of a bus system operated by the ferry line to transport you all over the city. We stay at this hotel whenever we visit New York City.

Firststatecruiser, I checked out the rates for February, 2006. They want $196.00 per night plus 14% tax for a room. They also want 100% payment up front per their internet site. I think I will stay with my Rihga Royal Suite reservation. Thank you for the recommendation though.

Cheers

General Max

Firststatecruiser-

Is the ferry terminal there in NJ a safe place to park? Is it an outdoor lot or a building? My in-laws plan to park there for about a week in August and then take the ferry to the city to visit us. Are there cabs there on the NY side to take them where they need to go if they don't use the bus? Is there much walking from the where you park to the ferry on the NJ side or from the ferry to the bus/cab line on the NY side? They will have suitcases and my father in-law has some heart issues. Thanks for your help!!

Kelly

General Max-

No. I haven't been there. My husband is a fan of both Morton's and Smith and Wollensky's which are both in midtown and on the east side. I have also heard great things about both Sparks and Palm (46th and 2nd area). I looked at Ben Benson's website (http://www.benbensons.com) and prices appear to be similar to most NYC steakhouses.

Kelly

NYC has many steakhouses now, including a Del Frisco's. Ben Benson's is good but by far, the best is Peter Luger's. Take a cab to Brooklyn. It is just over the bridge, near the river. True, authentic NY steakhouse, very old. Otherwise, I think I'd choose the Palm or Smith and Wollensky's.

NYC has many steakhouses now, including a Del Frisco's. Ben Benson's is good but by far, the best is Peter Luger's. Take a cab to Brooklyn. It is just over the bridge, near the river. True, authentic NY steakhouse, very old. Otherwise, I think I'd choose the Palm or Smith and Wollensky's.

Thanks again, stephef for the information on Del Frisco's steakhouse in New York. I went to their website and they are affiliated with the Orlando location.

We have a $175 gift certificate for Del Friscos and will plan on using it one of the nights that we are in New York.

Cheers

General Max

Yes, I would. Although you may be able to make them when you are here, you can be sure to get the exact time that you want if you do it in advance. Most restaurants accept reservations one month in advance. Del Frisco's is pretty large so it shouldn't be a problem.

HI,

Going on the Constellation on Monday Oct. 17th.Like to visit NY Sat and Sun. Live 5 hrs away taking bus into NY(Port Authority)THinkin of staying at Hotels around

Madison SQ. or Times Sq. Since ship is sailing out of NJ (cape Liberty cruise port).

How much for cab to port from either Madison Sq. or Times Sq.

Or any other ideas where to stay or get to port..... thks

Archived