Where to stay in New York, New York

General Max-

You're welcome. I have received so much useful cruise info here, I feel the least I can do is give advice about our wonderful city. I've only been on a few cruises, so I can't offer as much advice in that area! I remember how intimidated I was by the city when I first visited here by myself. The most stressful parts for me were always getting from the airport to my correct desitnation and riding the subway. It got so much easier after a few trips here! Have a great time in NY!

Kelly

Any other advice about the mid-town Manhattan area would be appreciated. We have been to Philadephia several times and enjoy the Philly cheesesteak sandwiches. Is there a good place for philly cheesesteaks? We don't have anything close to them here in Florida.

Cheers

General Max

Is there a good place for philly cheesesteaks? We don't have anything close to them here in Florida.

I heard there's a place in Bklyn that makes them.

Not sure of the name, tho. I'll ask my friend who lives in that area (Bay Ridge) and let ya know.

Any other advice about the mid-town Manhattan area would be appreciated. We have been to Philadephia several times and enjoy the Philly cheesesteak sandwiches. Is there a good place for philly cheesesteaks?

Cheers

General Max

In NYC you want NY CheeseCAKE, not cheesesteak. Go to Sardi's in the midtown Manhatten Theatre District for cheesecake and a lot of NYC atmosphere. :D

Thanks, Vic. I appreciate the help. By the way, have you booked the Nordam inaugural cruise in February yet?

peaches from georgia, I forgot about New York cheescake. Good recommendation as Mrs. Max and I both like cheescake.

Cheers

General Max

My cousin was here a few months ago from Virginia and insisted that he wanted a cheesesteak sandwich. I kept telling him that you get good cheesesteak sandwiches in Phily, not NY. Well we ran across a cheesesteak place next to my favorite pizza place, Pasty's, at 3rd Avenue and 34th Street. I can't remember the name of the cheesteak place, but it was quite good. I had just been in Phildelphia and had one at one of their "famous" places and this was quite comparable. Patsy's, the pizza place, is also quite good. If you go there, they only take cash.

K

Thanks, Vic. I appreciate the help. By the way, have you booked the Nordam inaugural cruise in February yet?

peaches from georgia, I forgot about New York cheescake. Good recommendation as Mrs. Max and I both like cheescake.

Cheers

General Max

Hey Max

Sorry,can't do it .... job issues.

:(

I may have mentioned this earlier, we saw Wicked in February it is very good, and tickets are very hard to get. We saw Spamalot in Chicago in January in its pre broadway work out the kinks engagements. It is a blast. Great cast, funny stuff, especially if you are Monty Python fans. Wicked is a better musical. Spamalot is about as funny as anything you will ever see and tickets are very hard to get. :D

jc

We saw Spamalot 2 weeks ago and it was excellent. Tickets are very hard to get. I ordered mine the middle of March at full price, and those were the first open seatings. We were almost all the way at the top of the theater. I can't complain, though. It was an excellent show. I loved every minute of it.

I also have heard great things about Wicked. If you are looking to see famous people, it seems that right now many of the plays rather than musicals are featuring people you would know.

My husband wanted to see Spamalot as he is a great "Monty Python" fan but the tickets were very hard to get and terribly expensive so we opted for Chicago as we have not seen the film or the musical before. We did get a great deal with our tickets.

Jennie

My husband wanted to see Spamalot as he is a great "Monty Python" fan but the tickets were very hard to get and terribly expensive so we opted for Chicago as we have not seen the film or the musical before. We did get a great deal with our tickets.

Jennie

Hi there, Jennie

What website did you use? ... And when are you coming to town?

I'm planning on getting tix to Spamalot for mid-Feb.

So far, in my local paper, we have two sites to use ..

http://www.ticketmaster.com, and http://www.montypythonsspamalot.com

In your opinion, what would be the better one?

Thanks

:)

Tickets for Spamalot are gonna be even harder to get seeing it just won a bunch of Tony Awards (Broadways version of the Oscar) The other night.

Usually after a big win ticket sales go up.

Chicago was excellent

The Producers was Fantastic. Of course I saw it with the originals Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick and they just were the best. I am not sure who is in it now, but it was still a great play.

The same with Hairspray, Harvey Fierstein is no longer in it and he was phenomenal. But still a good story and great music.

Vic, I just ordered two tickets for "Spamalot" on telecharge for the 3:00 PM matinee on Sunday, February 20, 2006. Tickets weren't as expensive as what we paid in London to see "Chicago" in 2003.

Cheers

General Max

Vic.

We will be in New York from 7th July for a week before we go to Boston and board the Maasdam for the Transatlantic.

I looked at two websites which a U.S. friend passed on to me and chose the best price for Chicago. We got great seats and are looking forward to our first "Broadway" Show. Mind you we do get all the good shows down here but it is the experience that we are looking forward to.

http://www.broadwaybox.com/

http://www.entertainment-link.com/broadway/musicals/shows.asp

Jennie

General Max,

You are correct. There were no seats available for July a couple of months ago when we were looking at tickets, that is one of the reasons we didn't pursue it. Also I have never heard of telecharge, not living in the U.S. Besides we were happy to see Chicago which had the best ratings from the critics at the time and we are happy with our choice. As I said previously, just going to a Broadway show is fantastic.;) ;)

Jennie

Yes, you will have to get them well in advance and pay full price. Otherwise, some concierges can get them for you but you will pay a nice premium over the face value. http://www.playbill.com is a good source for reviews, times, specials, and you can click through and buy tickets on-line with your seat number (and a diagram of each theatre). It is free.

Archived