Infinity loss of power

joandian

I also was on the TA ending Harwich- well nobody got really behind why we were 5 hours behind schedule in leaving Maimi. Well sailing out of Miami with all the lights was also a nice experience!

I have never experienced code red though, now I now. Oh dear I felt really sorry for the crew, since no self service in OView I overheard an elderly guest bitterly complaining about the long wait for a cup of coffee! True there were lines- but during those five days I sticked with Al Baccio , had breakfast in the cabin and lunch in Bistro on Five , worked like charm.

Acciendents, technical problems happened ever since , will always, can always happen.

Millenium Class ships are not very well built - that is an open secret- even admited by crewmembers I spoke to - on all four ships. Since Milli- Class came out Chantiers ( now part of STX ) was never used as ship yard by X. All Millenium Class ships had problems since they made their debut! Anyway- I still favor them over the S- Class ships!

I

If you ask them about a "replacement" engine, of course they will not answer you. There is no such thing on board. The answer was not BS - the questions was! :D

I specifically asked about the 5 hour delay leaving Miami (not engine replacement) - the answer he (chief engineer) gave (after a long delay - like he was making something up) was something about a problem refueling. I, along with others in the audience (the main theater where the presentation took place had about 200 people in it), thought that was a BS answer.:cool:

I'm a bit confused I thought the Inifnity was five hours late leaving Miami due to extra cleaning required because previous cruises had been code red? I also thought this was well known and communicated to passengers who were told they couldn't board until 2pm? :confused:

The extra cleaning and delayed embarkation only delayed departure till 6PM - about 1.5 hrs from scheduled departure. The rest of the delay was caused by "technical issues" as described by the captain.

I know quite a bit about how these ships are built. Even have Celebrity's DVD on the Reflection's construction, which is quite fascinating.

They DO NOT have a spare engine to be used as a replacement. A cruise ship typically has two or more diesel engines, each driving a generator to supply electrical power to the ship. Even the azipods are electric motors, and not driven directly from the engines. They start up more of the engines as the demand increases.

Some, but not all cruise ships, also have a gas turbine, similar to those used on helicopters and propeller driven passenger planes (not like on the 747!). These provide mainly electrical power for lighting, pumps, etc. They are often used while in port due to lower emissions being generated. They are not as efficient under the heavy load required for propulsion, and are expensive to run.

Yes the Millie Class ships at least do.

Given the engine room control room tour a few years ago on the Summit and it's one of the points made during the chat.

Been a spare on the Summit every time I sailed her (8 times now)

Hard to miss as you board on deck one. It's that fridge sized jet engine looking thing in a plastic case.

Edited by A Sixth?

I read it as propulsion came back a few minutes after hotel services, not that it came back immediately :)

That is far from correct. We had lights in our cabin, midships, about 15 -20 minutes after the blackout and lights were progressively restored through the ship. It was at least an hour after we had lights and water back that the ship was able to move under its own power.

That engine is still there. We saw it yesterday.

Guernsey wasn't on the Itinerary. We were in Cork yesterday.

I'm pleased someone from Celebrity posted but our cabin was directly up from where the tug was and I know that it took way more than a few minutes for the propulsion to come back online. I have video of that tug pushing us at least an hour after we lost power. Now of course there may be a delay in something happening after it's up? To answer a question, there was emergency lighting in the halls and the speakers were working.

The Infinity was listed by the local harbour authorities schedule of cruise ships due in 2014, for earlier this week. I gues this just prooves that you can not believe everything you read!!!

Hope you enjoyed your cruise, and perhaps you may be on one that visits Guernsey in the future?

Gas Turbine Ship = GTS

The M class ships used to have GTS in their name (i.e. GTS Millennium) but the GTS was removed from the official name a few years back. The use of GTS is similar to the old designation SS in ship names which stood for Steam Ship. Also found this wiki on sip prefixes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_prefix

Thank you:)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

That is far from correct. We had lights in our cabin, midships, about 15 -20 minutes after the blackout and lights were progressively restored through the ship. It was at least an hour after we had lights and water back that the ship was able to move under its own power.

That engine is still there. We saw it yesterday.

Hi all,

There was a brief power outage during the evening. Announcements were made and power was quickly restored for hotel services followed by propulsion power a few minutes later. The emergency generator was used temporarily until power was fully restored on the ship.

Hope this helps!

Just going by what Celebrity said! Don't shoot the messenger! :(

Edited by DebbieMacG

We were having dinner in BLU when the lights went out. It was about 9pm and still light outside so not complete darkness for us. It was about 5 minutes before an announcement was made and we were updated every 10 minutes or so until all parts of the ship's power was restored. I understand from people in the the theater, during the show, that it was complete darkness. Very strange and has never happened to me on my 40+ cruises I have been on. Thank goodness we were not far from the port and tugs remained on our sides to keep us from getting hit in the shipping lanes.