Claim for Death in Family

LucyTX

For everyone who has bought cruise insurance but never used it, I am writing this for you to be aware of what is required.

Last month my sister-in-law passed away due to heart failure after dealing with cancer for two years. I was scheduled to take a cruise 5 days after receiving this news. I called the insurance company I had taken out my cruise insurance with and asked if this was a covered reason. I was told that it was covered as she was a sister-in-law.

(I have since found out that was not true, death in certain instances are not covered, as in suicide).

I was told at that time that the first thing I should do is call the cruise line and cancel the cruise. Paperwork would be emailed to me to submit a claim.

This is what I had to submit for the claim:

1. Trip cancellation form provided by the insurer

2. Proof of loss: a death certificate

3. Proof of payment: I had to make photo copies of my credit card statement showing transactions for not only the cruise, but statement showing the purchase of the insurance

4. Airline ticket info - I was driving to the port so didn’t need, but if you do, you will need copy of the ticket, ticket number & travel date

5. Cruise cancellation policy

6. Photo copy of credit card statement showing refund of any monies by cruise company. Fyi – when you cancel your cruise you are refunded tax and port charges. This is VERY important to know because when you purchase cruise insurance you do NOT have to include this amount to be insured. Only insure the cost of what you are not going to be refunded!

So, I sent in all the requested documents via priority mail. A week later I receive an email saying they received my claim. Five days later I receive an email stating that the death certificate I sent in did not have a CAUSE OF DEATH listed. They will not process claim without having this on the death certificate.

Now I have to ask my brother in law to request a death certificate that has this listed for me. I felt bad asking for the first death certificate, now I am really feeling awkward.

I called the insurance company and was told that the cause of death must be included because not all deaths are covered. I asked to speak to a supervisor and 4 hours later have received no call back.

I never knew there were different death certificates, some that say cause of death and others that do not list this.

On the insurance paperwork it merely says to include death certificate and I feel it is wrong to have to go back now and request this.

Any opinions or experiences with other cruise critic members?

Thanks for letting me vent.

It is reasonable for the insurance company to request Cause of Death to be listed; I expect they didn't specify, as they expected it to be there; it should be listed on all certified certificates of death. (Some states will NOT list it on uncertified copies.)

They aren't necessarily requesting autopsy results here, just the basic classification of the death (I believe the categories are: Natural Causes, Accidental Death, Homicide, and Suicide.)

In Florida cause of death I am told is private information and not released. It will only be released if next of kin asks for it. My brother in law was never asked, he was just given death certificates that did not include that information.

The insurance policy I purchased (I purchased within 10 days of booking) included pre existing conditions. So, her cause of death should not have been an issue.

Insure my trip, evidently, does not insure my trip.

The insurance policy I purchased (I purchased within 10 days of booking) included pre existing conditions. So, her cause of death should not have been an issue.

Your policy probably excludes things like suicide, overdosing on heroin, having a parachute accident, or being killed while robbing a 7/11. None of those are pre-existing conditions but they're all excluded from coverage. That's what the death certificate is for -- did she die from a covered reason or not? Insurers take NOBODY'S word for it when it comes to cause of death.

In Florida cause of death I am told is private information and not released. It will only be released if next of kin asks for it. My brother in law was never asked, he was just given death certificates that did not include that information.

Given that the cause of death is so important with many different kinds of insurance, I'm surprised that's not the default when the funeral home places their order for copies. (Funeral homes usually place the initial order for copies, and it's just a check-box on the form to order certified copies; it doesn't even cost any extra over the fee for a certified copy.)

http://www.floridahealth.gov/%5C/certificates-and-registries/certificates/death/_documents/DH_727_09-08.pdf

But yes, suicide is not covered, among other exclusions.

And why are you saying "Insure my trip doesn't insure my trip."? When you get them the information they need, they'll be able to write you your check. This was really the funeral home's fault more than anything... a mistake that will cost all of $5 to fix.

Edited by sirwired

Would this be a problem if the policy had the "cancel for any reason" clause:confused:

It would be, as 3rd-party insurance policies never issue a 100% payout for Any Reason claims. If you want a 100% payout, it needs to be for a properly documented covered reason.

Lucy, I would add that insure my trip is just a broker, they are not your actual insurance policy provider. There are many insurance companies; some are real sticklers on the details. It appears your insurer is one of the sticklers. Good luck in getting this resolved, it sometimes takes perseverance.