Glacier Bay Question

In perusing the map for Glacier Bay it seems to the "untrained" eye that there may be more than one glacier to see. We are on the June 29 sailing of the Oosterdam and I was wondering if, from experience, anyone would be able to tell me which one(s) the ship might sidle up to. Thanks:confused:

The main glacier you stop at for a while is Margerie, all the way at the top. We also went to Johns Hopkins, but I think not all cruises do because of seal mating season. You will pass by some other smaller glaciers on the way to and from those two, but won't get as close to them as Margerie.

BTW, Margerie is named for a French geographer/geologist, not a woman! :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margerie_Glacier

Edited by catl331

The often ignored and dirt covered Grand Pacific is to the right of Margerie.

There is Reid, hmmm- my memory stops there but if no one posts before I get home I will continue the list. Johns Hopkins is only open to cruise ships after Sept. 1, but you will likely see it in the distance if you pull in to Jaw Point. Ships go up Tarr inlet (west). John muir inlet is for small boats/ kayaks/sail boats with permit.

Have you been o. The NOAA site to download a PDF chart?

The often ignored and dirt covered Grand Pacific is to the right of Margerie.

There is Reid, hmmm- my memory stops there but if no one posts before I get home I will continue the list. Johns Hopkins is only open to cruise ships after Sept. 1, but you will likely see it in the distance if you pull in to Jaw Point. Ships go up Tarr inlet (west). John muir inlet is for small boats/ kayaks/sail boats with permit.

Have you been o. The NOAA site to download a PDF chart?

For the last four years (in early May) we first cruised (no stop) by Reid, which is set just off the "beach"; then we stopped at both Lamplough and Margerie. For the last two the order on any given cruise is up to the Captain and the Pilot.

Here is a link to the NOAA chart for GB:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/17318.shtml

It is also available as a PDF for home printing.

I was going to mention to look for the glacier as you pass Taylor/Dundas Bay but you are southbound and it is not likely you will see it from the ship on the way in the morning.