Driver License

drolltroll

So my Federal Govt Employee ID would work? Never thought of that.

I would read that more as a city/state/federal government issued non-Drivers License identification card than an employment identification card.

My husband had flown and cruised using his (city) government work identification, it also allows him to carry a firearm on an airline due to his particular job. I don't believe all city employees can use their id to travel though. It may depend on the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP and her daughter are to board today! Just hope we hear what actually happened.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

How do we know it worked out for them? :confused:

Guess I need to put on my glasses, lol! I thought the post above said "OP and her daughter were on board today"

If all else fails play stupid. Chances are they will not even look at the date. They are just interested in the name and the picture. If they call her on it the response should be "what? on no I took the wrong one" If that doesn't work they cry. Finally ask for a supervisor and cry a lot!

I agree with this. I don't think they check dates or anything but name & picture. I moved and had to get a new license, Had it for 5 years and never noticed my height was wrong, it had me at 5'8" and I am only 5'. Was in an accident and had 1 traffic stop and even the police didn't notice the discrepancy! In all the times I have had to show it, no one ever caught that.

Birth Certificate should still suffice for flying and cruising.

No, a birth certificate will not suffice by itself for either flying or cruising. You still have to have a valid photo ID in addition to the birth certificate to cruise and to fly the photo ID is the important thing. You do not need to show a birth certificate to fly in the US.

Edited by Eng23

This post is certainly a wake up call to everyone who travels to check docs for expiration dates! My hubby and I are cruising on Liberty in 40 days. When we entered our passport info we realized they expire Jan 2015! We have made a note on our calendar to renew as soon as we get back. Btw, someone should've noticed the expiration date on that daughters license when inputting all the info...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This post is certainly a wake up call to everyone who travels to check docs for expiration dates! My hubby and I are cruising on Liberty in 40 days. When we entered our passport info we realized they expire Jan 2015! We have made a note on our calendar to renew as soon as we get back. Btw, someone should've noticed the expiration date on that daughters license when inputting all the info...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Haven't used a BC/DL in years to board a cruise.

Does the checkin 'form' ask for the expiration date of a DL?

Good question! I'm not sure about driver's license...but you would think that they would want that information, as they do require expiration date when entering Passport information.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No. We use DL/BC and when you get to the port, you show it to get your sail and sign. They basically glance at your pic, then you and hand it back. I seriously doubt they even look at the date.

They do look at the BC for a second, too.

I hope the OP will come back here when their cruise is done and let us know what happened. I feel so sorry for all the stress this family has had to go through. I feel sorry for the 21 yr.-old. Going to school and having a 15 mo.-old baby. That's tough stuff.

I'm responsible for taking care of all documentation for our travels. The minute we book a cruise or vacation, one of the first things I do is to check the validation of our passports and driver licenses. My DS is now 18 and I have a copy of his license and passport to make sure of his expiration date. I will have no problem reminding him when the time comes that he needs to renew them. He's in college too and our main concern is that he's focused on his grades, not worrying about expired passports and driver license.

Just a reminder that just because your passport hasn't expired doesn't mean you can use it in some countries if it expires within 2 or 3 months of your cruise date. The amount of time varies so be sure not to wait until the last minute to renew your passports.;)

I sure do hope all of the family got on the cruise and that they are having a great time.

Edited by mousey

I hope the OP will come back here when their cruise is done and let us know what happened. I feel so sorry for all the stress this family has had to go through. I feel sorry for the 21 yr.-old. Going to school and having a 15 mo.-old baby. That's tough stuff.

I'm responsible for taking care of all documentation for our travels. The minute we book a cruise or vacation, one of the first things I do is to check the validation of our passports and driver licenses. My DS is now 18 and I have a copy of his license and passport to make sure of his expiration date. I will have no problem reminding him when the time comes that he needs to renew them. He's in college too and our main concern is that he's focused on his grades, not worrying about expired passports and driver license.

Just a reminder that just because your passport hasn't expired doesn't mean you can use it in some countries if it expires within 2 or 3 months of your cruise date. The amount of time varies so be sure not to wait until the last minute to renew your passports.;)

I sure do hope all of the family got on the cruise and that they are having a great time.

Not sure what countries make you have 6 months on your passport for cruises but not on closed loop cruises in the Caribbean.

As long as there is 1 day left on your passport when you get back to the good old USA you are good to go.

Bill

Can't you just get a state ID? You know, it's looks just like a driver's license (picture, dob and organ donor info), but it doesn't allow you to drive. Not a big deal.

I don't drive, (for personal reasons) and a state ID works just fine. Not everybody drives.

Edited by 17andacruiseaddict

Can't you just get a state ID? You know, it's looks just like a driver's license (picture, dob and organ donor info), but it doesn't allow you to drive. Not a big deal.

I don't drive, (for personal reasons) and a state ID works just fine. Not everybody drives.

In my business I card young people all the time. And many times they have state ID's. Some have them because they DON'T drive and some have them because the aren't allowed to drive. (DUI'S). In Ohio you can not have both. Also I seriously doubt they look at exp. dates or birthdates. Believe me it would slow down the process. Every state has info in different places. Some DOB'S are printed in bold and some you have to scan the whole license to find the DOB. My bet is they glance at the picture and glance at the person and move them along. Thats what they do with my passport picture.

Exaclty but in the case of the OP, she was freaking out because the daughter wouldn't be able to use her licence. To me it sounds weird. Like there is a bunch of fuss over nothing (besides the fact that the daughter should get this done). Just go to the DMV and get a state ID. Does exactly the same thing as the DL does when needed for traveling. Even can be scanned.

Exaclty but in the case of the OP, she was freaking out because the daughter wouldn't be able to use her licence. To me it sounds weird. Like there is a bunch of fuss over nothing (besides the fact that the daughter should get this done). Just go to the DMV and get a state ID. Does exactly the same thing as the DL does when needed for traveling. Even can be scanned.

Yes she was freaking out because the DMV was closed on Saturday and her cruise was on Sunday and her daughter told her on Friday night.

Bill

you missed the obvious.

The OP posted on May 17, a Saturday, saying that they were leaving on Sunday [May 18].

Since there DMV office was not open on the weekend, she could not "Just go to the DMV and get a state ID." That is what precipitated her panicky situation.

My personal guess? Since it is now May 20 and the OP has not posted anything else, I am guessing everyone got on board.

My personal guess? Since it is now May 20 and the OP has not posted anything else, I am guessing everyone got on board.

Hope so, but the poor OP got a couple dozen more Grey Hairs over this whole episode !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

you missed the obvious.

The OP posted on May 17, a Saturday, saying that they were leaving on Sunday [May 18].

Since there DMV office was not open on the weekend, she could not "Just go to the DMV and get a state ID." That is what precipitated her panicky situation.

Yeah this is what i get for skimming. i thought i was missing something because it just wasn't making sense. Didn't see what she was getting so worked up about.

When I'm the mom paying I go a bit over the top making sure everyone's documents are in order... I want to see them, touch them, check names and expiration dates and recheck! I have even been know to hold everyone's passports in one place and supervise the obtaining of Visa's.

When I'm paying the bill it's Nana's rules and if you don't like it stay home!

And all this checking and double checking happens within a day or two of booking the trip. In the OP's case this trip was booked several weeks ago and DD only told her within 72 hrs of sailing that her license had expired :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app