Driver License

drolltroll

She doesn't have passport? That's ally need. They never ask us for DL

Sent from my HTC One mini using Forums mobile app

Not all cruises require a passport. Many people just cruise with a birth certificate & driver's license.

If she's in college, her most current college ID should work.

My son was 16 when we went but didn't have a driver's permit yet. His most current school ID was fine, according to carnival when I called.

I did end up getting Texas ID cards at the last minute. We got them quicker than we've ever gotten a Driver's License.

Call Carnival and ask if there is anything you have that might work.

Edit: n/m...he was under 19. Forgot that part. Sorry... [emoji15]

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Edited by christyran1228

except it has to be a photo id.

That's why the paper temporary license renewal in our state has to be carried with the current ID/License until the replacement license arrives. The paper itself doesn't work alone...it just shows that the license has been renewed. The reason we get a temporary paper/receipt is because of the new security requirements. They can not issue us a license upon walking in...it goes through a strict process to avoid counterfeit licenses being issued and will mail your license a week or so later from the main headquarters. All the new security was put into effect after 9/11. I'm not sure how other states work...but most have confirmed to stricter security requirements.

All this of course is a moot point for the OP's daughter because she said she lived in NC and that state apparently doesn't offer online renewal...and their DMV is not open on weekends.

Really do hope it all works out for the OP and her daughter!

That's why the paper temporary license renewal in our state has to be carried with the current ID/License until the replacement license arrives. The paper itself doesn't work alone...it just shows that the license has been renewed. The reason we get a temporary paper/receipt is because of the new security requirements. They can not issue us a license upon walking in...it goes through a strict process to avoid counterfeit licenses being issued and will mail your license a week or so later from the main headquarters. All the new security was put into effect after 9/11. I'm not sure how other states work...but most have confirmed to stricter security requirements.

All this of course is a moot point for the OP's daughter because she said she lived in NC and that state apparently doesn't offer online renewal...and their DMV is not open on weekends.

Really do hope it all works out for the OP and her daughter!

Oh, I see now. I agree... I realy hope she can get on the cruise...

I hate when I make typos...lol! I meant..."most states have conformed" not confirmed.

Anyhow...I would not want to be in the shoes of the 21 year old daughter right now. I would be so worried about not being able to go on the cruise.

Do let us know how it goes OP!

Edited by Tacosha

REALLY? I always thought u needed a passport now a days. It sure saves a lot of hassle having one.

I am firmly in the camp of "get a passport". It solves a lot of "what if" issues.

However, according to the US State Department - on a closed loop cruise (beginning and ending in the same US port, on the same ship, visiting only Western hemisphere ports), the minimum requirement is a proof of citizenship (birth certificate) and for those 16 and over a government-issued photo ID (driver's license, state ID).

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

I will also point out that some cruise lines can (and do) have more strict requirements for cruising with them. So, a cruise line can require a passport on a closed-loop cruise, regardless of what the Department of State says.

Not according to Carnival:

Photo Identification

In addition to proof of citizenship, a non-expired government-issued photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver’s License

• Driver’s Permit

• School/Student I.D (acceptable ONLY for guests under 19 years of age)

• Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

So my Federal Govt Employee ID would work? Never thought of that.

Well, we were going to play dumb but I do appreciate the responses guys. It will probably depend on who she gets as a agent but maybe her holding her baby in her arms will help.

I have already looked at Greyhound going back to Asheville and that would be a very long 20 hr ride for her. We will take the baby on with us, he is 15 months. I am not going to flush 3 grand down the toilet over her irresponsibility! This is so stressful.

At least my niece is down here getting a book award and my daughter can stay with her tomorrow night to catch the bus Monday if necessary. The only bus tomorrow leaves too early for her to catch it if she is denied. It will be after the cruise before I can let you guys know what happens. I am not even sure the best way to handle this.....All of us check in at once...send her and the baby 1st and if she gets on to call me so I can go ahead and pay to park...if she is denied just call a taxi...I do not know!

I know I wont be checking her luggage!!!!

If she is denied and you take the baby you are opening another can of worms for documentation. You may want to make sure you have a notorized letter from her stating you are taking him with you. That would be easy enough to have done at an Office Supply type store or a bank. Again that may be hard if the notory decides not to take the id.

Sorry but wish you luck that she is able to board.

I am firmly in the camp of "get a passport". It solves a lot of "what if" issues.QUOTE]

I'm with you Shmoo! I would never step foot into a foreign country without a passport and a credit card! But I hope all goes well with the OP. I suspect they won't have any problems.

Well, we were going to play dumb but I do appreciate the responses guys. It will probably depend on who she gets as a agent but maybe her holding her baby in her arms will help.

I have already looked at Greyhound going back to Asheville and that would be a very long 20 hr ride for her. We will take the baby on with us, he is 15 months. I am not going to flush 3 grand down the toilet over her irresponsibility! This is so stressful.

At least my niece is down here getting a book award and my daughter can stay with her tomorrow night to catch the bus Monday if necessary. The only bus tomorrow leaves too early for her to catch it if she is denied. It will be after the cruise before I can let you guys know what happens. I am not even sure the best way to handle this.....All of us check in at once...send her and the baby 1st and if she gets on to call me so I can go ahead and pay to park...if she is denied just call a taxi...I do not know!

I know I wont be checking her luggage!!!!

Bummer, but maybe it's time for some tough love.

Taking a child that isn't yours onboard probably isn't the best idea. I believe there is specific documentation you will need for this. Legal and medical and it must be signed by a notary.

If she is denied, probably best to have them both find their own way home...while you enjoy your vacation.

Lesson learned: everyone should get a passport.

Does she have an original birth Certificate? I ALWAYS cruise with a passport.

The birth certificate isn't the problem. It's the photo ID.

If you travel with a birth certificate (and not a passport), for those people 16 and over, you also need a government-issued photo ID.

OP is reporting that their 21 year old daughter just announced that her driver's license (her photo ID) is expired. That is likely a problem, but maybe not.

The child will really complicate matters. And according to Carnival...

"Additionally, passports are required in the event you need to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons."

Can you not get the expired photo id officially notorised (sp) by the police department or through legal along with a valid Birth certificate and other id?

In Australia a Justice Of The Peace can do this, in fact a JP has to do it for Passport photos anyway!

Most of our JP,s are Doctors Pharmacists Police officers and post office managers.

If you are allowed to carry a license renewal document along with your expired drivers licence then the Photo ID is still valid just the license on it is invalid without the new documentation!

So an expired drivers licence along with official birth certificate is the same deal as an expired drivers licence with renewal doc,s only you cant drive with just the BC:)

Bummer, but maybe it's time for some tough love.

Taking a child that isn't yours onboard probably isn't the best idea. I believe there is specific documentation you will need for this. Legal and medical and it must be signed by a notary.

If she is denied, probably best to have them both find their own way home...while you enjoy your vacation.

What happens if she had a passport and let that expire?

Or better yet. Lesson learned: learn to take responsibility for your actions.

I hope they let them all on and they have a wonderful cruise.:)

Bill

I personally think she will be fine. I'm a check in agent for a different cruiseline and I don't even look at the expiration date on DL. Only on passports do I look. I do look at DOB of course for check-in reasons but beside that I would just say "don't forget to renew your DL when you get back". However if the check in agent gives any issue the supervisor can give the okay to get her on board. It should not, in the least bit, be a big deal. Only reason why the passport date matters is because it will pop up on our end when its expired. Only thing we need the DL for is the photo part because it proves that the person whose name is on the BC is the person in front of us and in the system. Good Luck!

I personally think she will be fine. I'm a check in agent for a different cruiseline and I don't even look at the expiration date on DL. Only on passports do I look. I do look at DOB of course for check-in reasons but beside that I would just say "don't forget to renew your DL when you get back". However if the check in agent gives any issue the supervisor can give the okay to get her on board. It should not, in the least bit, be a big deal. Only reason why the passport date matters is because it will pop up on our end when its expired. Only thing we need the DL for is the photo part because it proves that the person whose name is on the BC is the person in front of us and in the system. Good Luck!

That's all well and good, but, as Carnival Brides points out:

Not according to Carnival:

Photo Identification

In addition to proof of citizenship, a non-expired government-issued photo I.D is required of all guests 16 years of age and older. The following are acceptable:

• Driver’s License

• Driver’s Permit

• School/Student I.D (acceptable ONLY for guests under 19 years of age)

• Government-Issued identification card (city/state/federal)

Since they take the trouble to point out "non-expired" I'm thinking there could be a problem when trying to board Carnival.