Driver License

drolltroll

That's all well and good, but, as Carnival Brides points out:

Since they take the trouble to point out "non-expired" I'm thinking there could be a problem when trying to board Carnival.

Again as stated before, it depends on the check-in agent and whether they choose to allow it or not. I'm stating what I would do if I was the check-in agent. All the agent has to do is get an ok from the supervisor. They are more worried about people who don't have passports or ids and BC at all....

That's all well and good, but, as Carnival Brides points out:

Since they take the trouble to point out "non-expired" I'm thinking there could be a problem when trying to board Carnival.

My husband didn't have the proper BC for our first cruise and he was allowed on.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband didn't have the proper BC for our first cruise and he was allowed on.

How long ago was that?

My mother in law's friend showed up at port with no paper work because she had left her purse at home, and was allowed to cruise after her friends swore she was who she said but that was a long time ago.

It wouldn't happen today.

How long ago was that?

My mother in law's friend showed up at port with no paper work because she had left her purse at home, and was allowed to cruise after her friends swore she was who she said but that was a long time ago.

It wouldn't happen today.

June 2013

Um, no.

An expired driver license with supporting renewal documentation (not a birth certificate) makes that identification valid. An expired driver license is not a valid identification.

Then how is that? if the license renewal documentation has no photo then the original photo on licence is still a valid photo ID for the renewal doc,s:confused:

If the photo ID was invalid once license expired it would still be invalid accompanied by non photo licence docs.

I have read this from the beginning.... The 21 yr old is not getting on the ship without "VALID" govt issued photo ID.... Sorry an expired drivers license is NOT going to work!!! Really sorry but I just can't see it happening :(

Seems the OP leaves tomorrow if I read her post correctly, hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid there is going to be an issue with the Photo ID, maybe they will get lucky!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

Oh my, have been just looking at OP's past posts. It seems that this cruise with daughter and grandchild has been booked since at least late March!!! How in heavens name did it come to pass that only now an expired DL comes to light. As a mom and a grandmother I can only say that "murder" would be on my mind about this time if my kid did this to me..... Sorry JMHO

Ok maybe too strong a word but that's what came to mind!

Edited by nana541

I have read this from the beginning.... The 21 yr old is not getting on the ship without "VALID" govt issued photo ID.... Sorry an expired drivers license is NOT going to work!!! Really sorry but I just can't see it happening :(

Seems the OP leaves tomorrow if I read her post correctly, hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid there is going to be an issue with the Photo ID, maybe they will get lucky!

So you have more experience with this issue than a Carnival employee who says its possible and that they have allowed it before? There are a few posts from that employee stating so:p

So you have more experience with this issue than a Carnival employee who says its possible and that they have allowed it before? There are a few posts from that employee stating so:p

Absolutely hope I'm wrong! I feel bad for the OP..... Not here to argue.

Sadly that Carnival employee won't be at the pier to allow her on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Im betting she gets to sail. her bc will tie to the drivers license which has a picture on it to tie to her. the dl is to match a face with a name. if a school id will work then the dl even though expired should work.

Did anyone ask if the baby's father is sailing with them?? If not, her expired DL is the least of her problems. Does she have her sole custody court docs or a notarized travel doc from dad?? If not, nobody is going anywhere.

Her expired dl is her only problem.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/kw/minor%20child%20travel/session/L3NpZC9HUjQ3Qy10bA%3D%3D

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1254/kw/1254/sno/1

Did anyone ask if the baby's father is sailing with them?? If not, her expired DL is the least of her problems. Does she have her sole custody court docs or a notarized travel doc from dad?? If not, nobody is going anywhere.

the daughter is 21 from the original post. no need for docs

Several states in the United States allow for online license renewal or renewal in person, but then have to wait for their new license to arrive to mail. In those cases, the person receives documentation of a temporary license renewal, which states to carry the previous license with the renewal documentation since the documentation usually does not include a picture. Although the previous license may be "expired", it continues to provides photo identification in support of the temporary license document until the new license arrives. Alone, the expired license is invalid. In conjunction with a temporary license renewal documents, yes, the old license is still invalid, but providing between the photo (on the old license) and name (on both old license and renewal documentation), makes the temporary license renewal valid until the new license arrives.

I used to live in a State where this happened. This even goes back to when you first get your license. I had a Learner's Permit license. Once I passed the DMV road test, I was given a notice of successful completion, which combined with the learners permit, was an actual valid drivers license until my new license came in the mail. If I just had the paper notice without the learner's permit, the police would not easily be able to identify I was the person on the paper, and if I just had the learners permit license and lost my notice of successful completion, then I would have no record that I was legally allow to drive outside of the learner's permit restrictions.

Yep...exactly what I was conveying in my previous posts here. Unfortunately for OP, they live in NC and NC doesn't offer online renewal and their DMV is closed on Saturdays. I believe her daughter informed her Friday evening after DMV was already closed. Not sure why the daughter let her license expire...when they get a renewal notice 60 days in advance. Irresponsible on the daughters part.

Hopefully with a lot of luck on their side...Carnival will let the daughter set sail with her family. I would be stressed beyond belief if I were in this situation, but I'm a bit anal retentive about making sure we all have documentation long before traveling. Not to mention, when you book online with Carnival...they ask for your passport/identification in order to do check-in. I personally would not travel without a passport, in case an emergency arises.

Here's hoping they are now on the ship with a cold beverage in hand...and no longer stressing! :D

the daughter is 21 from the original post. no need for docs

Correct for daughter.....but OP said she was planning to take granddaughter without daughter if daughter can't board. I think that is where others were saying that grandma needs correct docs for her taking baby out of the country. Here's hoping all goes well.

Correct for daughter.....but OP said she was planning to take granddaughter without daughter if daughter can't board. I think that is where others were saying that grandma needs correct docs for her taking baby out of the country. Here's hoping all goes well.

This was the way I've read it. If they do not let Mama board, than Grandma will need a letter from both parents stating that Grandma can take the grandchild out of the country.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the "Carnival employee" that everyone has written about on this page works for another cruise line's embarkation staff, not Carnival. Things differ from port-to-port and so what's ok in Miami or Galveston might be completely different in Baltimore and vice-versa.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

My bet is all will be ok. She has a valid birth certificate that shows her age, her DL shows her picture that ties her to her BC.

The only thing that would worry me (more) is a possible flight. I tried to fly on an expired DL last month, and they did not allow that.

The OP and her daughter are to board today! Just hope we hear what actually happened.....

Thanks for the update, so glad that everything worked out for them. I think this is a reminder to double check with everyone sailing that their documents are all in order, especially if anyone has had a recent birthday and is using their driver's license to cruise.

Thanks for the update, so glad that everything worked out for them. I think this is a reminder to double check with everyone sailing that their documents are all in order, especially if anyone has had a recent birthday and is using their driver's license to cruise.

How do we know it worked out for them? :confused:

Are you referring to starstruck05? If so, she stated she worked for another cruise line.

While they represent the cruise lines, I always thought check-in employees were employed by the port and not the cruise lines.

This was the way I've read it. If they do not let Mama board, than Grandma will need a letter from both parents stating that Grandma can take the grandchild out of the country.

Also, I'm fairly certain that the "Carnival employee" that everyone has written about on this page works for another cruise line's embarkation staff, not Carnival. Things differ from port-to-port and so what's ok in Miami or Galveston might be completely different in Baltimore and vice-versa.

Nope, I do not work for Carnival. The training does not very from port to port, of course the acutal check-in agents do. We do not work for the port however. We work for the companies (I won't name which one I work for) who hire the port staff (check-in, directional staff, some security) But saying I work for the cruise line is more known than said company most people have never heard of. That all being said check in process is basic across most cruise lines, I know Carnivals very well and training is universal. If its a problem with any kind of documentation, all we have to do is get a supervisors approval, they are they ones who will always deny you boarding. Never a check-in agent.

Like I said before I don't see a HUGE issue with an exprired DL but I don't work at that port, they may make it an issue. All I would do is ask if its okay and get a yes or no. Simple as that. Yes its okay is the most likely answer. However it is a whole different can of worms regarding the child and traveling with grandma or having documentation to travel with only one parent. but that depends on names and things like that....