I need my "want to go" back!!

Mytime2014

I'm not sure what happened - I was so excited about upcoming cruise then I hit the 7 weeks before we take off to Seattle moment. Today I'm wondering what the heck I signed on for. I think I need to stay off cruise critic for a while.... for some reason I am anticipating a week surrounded by the argumentative, unhappy, and the entitled.

I guess it's hard to sustain the excitement long term, it feels kind of like the new car smell went away before I even got to drive the car.

Anyone else ever get really cold feet before their trip? Any ideas to revive the energy? Maybe I'll spend the day shopping for a cute embarking outfit....and shoes!

Cold feet before going on a cruise? NEVER.

Here are some ideas:

Stay on CC and be active and involved in your roll call. On our last cruise, it was a blast to chat about meet and mingle parties, and joining some others on same tours, beach outings. Loads of fun.

Shopping is always good.

Plan your excursions, we prefer our own plans and not those offered by the cruise line.

Vacations are always great to look forward to. The sad part is that, when it's over, the reality of getting back to work is a bummer. :(

This happens to me as well. To get the "energy up" again I hit YouTube and check out the ports of call. I usually see something I've missed before and that gets the excitement going again.

I guess it's hard to sustain the excitement long term, it feels kind of like the new car smell went away before I even got to drive the car.

I understand that feeling - it happened to me when I over-researched and over-planned for a trip. I suggest forgetting about the trip for a while -- don't check out CC for a while, don't shop for the trip or read about the ports or anything related to the trip that doesn't need doing now (eg shopping for health insurance has to be done, but shopping for new shoes does not). I found by overdoing my planning, I was (like you said here) sort of taking away the newness and excitement about the adventure before it had happened.

Now I think about my upcoming cruise in spurts -- I'll go on a researching binge for a few weeks, immersing myself in what I might want to do in New Zealand, then I won't even think about it for weeks at a time. I find the time travels more quickly and I don't get "worn out" by overdoing it.

I'm not sure what happened - I was so excited about upcoming cruise then I hit the 7 weeks before we take off to Seattle moment. Today I'm wondering what the heck I signed on for. I think I need to stay off cruise critic for a while.... for some reason I am anticipating a week surrounded by the argumentative, unhappy, and the entitled.

You've already identified your problem and solution.

Google photos of your cruise or even better You Tube some videos. You'll get jazzed up in no time!

I understand that feeling - it happened to me when I over-researched and over-planned for a trip. I suggest forgetting about the trip for a while -- don't check out CC for a while, don't shop for the trip or read about the ports or anything related to the trip that doesn't need doing now (eg shopping for health insurance has to be done, but shopping for new shoes does not). I found by overdoing my planning, I was (like you said here) sort of taking away the newness and excitement about the adventure before it had happened.

Now I think about my upcoming cruise in spurts -- I'll go on a researching binge for a few weeks, immersing myself in what I might want to do in New Zealand, then I won't even think about it for weeks at a time. I find the time travels more quickly and I don't get "worn out" by overdoing it.

I think over planning/researching is what I've done. I feel like I could walk on the ship and know how to get around - having pored over the deck plans. There are, naturally, a few personal issues, but until yesterday, the idea of the trip was kind of getting me past all that stuff.

I'm traveling with a friend from work/church, I've always either traveled with family, SO, or long weekends by myself at the beach + I will make up stuff to worry about when there is nothing = recipe for worrying about how we'll get along, being opposite personalities.

Think I'll focus on CC Alaska and Seattle boards since they seem to inspire less arguments and head butting!!!

Hi,

Sometimes you can get sort of overloaded on anything when you invest a bunch of energy into it, even if it is good energy.

There is a huge amount of helpful information here at CC and so many Cruise Fans who love cruising and love sharing that with others. But sometime if can be a bit over the top. Cruising is not, for everyone, the ultimate experience. It's just one way to spend vacation time. Maybe the sort of hyper raised expectations create an unrealistic set of expectations. And it is hard to sustain that kind of energy ; -)

Maybe try just letting, for a while, this trip and it's planning be just another trip and the planning that you would normally be involved in. The phrase "the worst day cruising is better than any other day" isn't true for everyone. And let your expectations of it being some ultimate experience go.

All it has to be is fun ; -)

Sara

What you're experiencing is really not all that unusual. Once the fun or booking and planning shore excursions is over, there's the lag time to wait to go and second thoughts about why you even booked the cruise creep in. :rolleyes:

Once on the ship, you'll be happy you're there. :)

LuLu

I never thought of it like this but I too go through these phases.

Phase 1

Feel the itch to travel. Look at options and find something. Lately it has been cruises.

Phase 2

Book it. Check details on boat, planes, hotels, cars, insurance, excursions and all that.

Now I research more and for a cruise dive into YouTube and CC. Find new and exciting rare things to see on my trip.

Phase 3

Tire of looking at maps and photos. Realize I have ignored my house and work a bit. Not enough to get evicted or fired, but a bit. Get back to those areas of my life.

Phase 4

Tickets arrive. Hyperventilate until departure.

Phase 5

En vacance. A comet can destroy the rest of the world and I do not want a phone call about it. I am on vacation.

Phase 6

Last day of the cruise. This is the feeling used by composers over the years to write the Blues. There is no known pharmaceutical which can cheer me up on the last night of the cruise and during the flight home.

Phase 7

First day back at work YELLING of how wonderful the trip was.

Phase 8

Second day at work. See Phase 6 followed by Phase 1.

Later,

M

I never thought of it like this but I too go through these phases.

Phase 1

Feel the itch to travel. Look at options and find something. Lately it has been cruises.

Phase 2

Book it. Check details on boat, planes, hotels, cars, insurance, excursions and all that.

Now I research more and for a cruise dive into YouTube and CC. Find new and exciting rare things to see on my trip.

Phase 3

Tire of looking at maps and photos. Realize I have ignored my house and work a bit. Not enough to get evicted or fired, but a bit. Get back to those areas of my life.

Phase 4

Tickets arrive. Hyperventilate until departure.

Phase 5

En vacance. A comet can destroy the rest of the world and I do not want a phone call about it. I am on vacation.

Phase 6

Last day of the cruise. This is the feeling used by composers over the years to write the Blues. There is no known pharmaceutical which can cheer me up on the last night of the cruise and during the flight home.

Phase 7

First day back at work YELLING of how wonderful the trip was.

Phase 8

Second day at work. See Phase 6 followed by Phase 1.

Later,

M

:D:D Perfect description

Anyone else ever get really cold feet before their trip? Any ideas to revive the energy? Maybe I'll spend the day shopping for a cute embarking outfit....and shoes!

Ours is worse than your "I want the excitement back." We even cancelled a cruise or two and than regretted it more than you can imagine.

Ours is worse than your "I want the excitement back." We even cancelled a cruise or two and than regretted it more than you can imagine.

I bet....When will you go again?

I put a mile by mile cruise map up in my cubicle, downloaded a book on my kindle, and marked some YouTube videos of my cruise from the past so I have very positive things to look at. The past days I have found the forum a very negative place for me - and had to limit what I'm reading.

I've found I always have a let down the couple days after book a trip (cruise or not). But then as the trip get's closer it builds back up. My favorite part of any trip is actually the last day at work before a trip. Or more specifically, the drive home that day. There is simply no feeling like it where there is absolutely zero stress about anything and a glorious free feeling.

Wow, thought I was the only one that picked up on the negativity. Especially for a new cruiser site, criticism instead of helpful assistance, amazing. Keep that positive spirit and I know you have one with that pink ribbon by your user name.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow, thought I was the only one that picked up on the negativity. Especially for a new cruiser site, criticism instead of helpful assistance, amazing. Keep that positive spirit and I know you have one with that pink ribbon by your user name.

Hey - we're kind of neighbors - or at least in the same general part of the great state! I'm back in the groove and counting minutes [63125 at the moment!]

Edited by Mytime2014

Hey - we're kind of neighbors - or at least in the same general part of the great state! I'm back in the groove and counting minutes [63125 at the moment!]

Oh, I am glad to hear you are excited again. Yes, after I checked out your location, I do see that we are kind of neighbors. We have 46 days to go for cruising and I am pumped. Have never been to the northwest or to Alaska. Have been planning since last year.

........I'm traveling with a friend from work/church....worrying about how we'll get along, being opposite personalities....

If this is what's really bothering you, make sure you have a frank discussion before leaving about whether or not you both have the same expectations. If some personal space/time alone is important to you, then say so up front. Most people who travel together develop some sort of balance of what to do together vs. separately and it's likely that you can too, but it's smart to talk about it in advance. With a little luck, you'll become 'travel buddies' and have a wonderful time.

KartGV - this is it - good advice about discussing it.

we are talking about it ahead of time and I'm putting my "issues" on the table. We have different view of how we are going to spend cruise time and have agreed {I think} to be able to go our separate ways on things like games and group activities for her and deck, knitting and reading time in view of the ocean for me. I may change, but that is what I am looking forward to the most.

Food and excursions are good - ear plugs and breathe right strips are on the packing list!!! :eek:

I'm such a loner - I do need lots of private time - but still enjoy social, just not constant social.