Change over day in Boston for b2b

kqcallahan

Good Day, Mom and I are doing a 14 days b2b cruise from Montreal-Boston-Montreal. But there's only one excursion on the Boston day since I guess most people get off. Does HAL offer anything on the change over day?? I was hoping to get up to Salam. Anyone have suggestions on tour companies?

You could take public transportation (the "T"/buses) to Salem on your own. On (most) Saturdays, by car, from Black Falcon Cruise Terminal to Salem is about 35 minutes depending upon traffic/rain or no rain. By public transportation it is likely up to an hour.

What is it you want to see there to make it worth the trip?

House of Seven Gables, Witch House, Peabody Museum?

Edited by sail7seas

Last time we went to Boston we were supposed to go into Salem and well the outlet malls kinda held us up :o I just wouldn't mind seeing the town you hear so much about and stop by the Witch House and things. Is it a walkable town?

Last time I was in Boston honestly, I did a trolley ride and the water front stuff and couldn't think of anything else I wanted to see haha. Sad I know

Last time we went to Boston we were supposed to go into Salem and well the outlet malls kinda held us up :o I just wouldn't mind seeing the town you hear so much about and stop by the Witch House and things. Is it a walkable town?

Last time I was in Boston honestly, I did a trolley ride and the water front stuff and couldn't think of anything else I wanted to see haha. Sad I know

Outlet Malls in Boston? Where? :confused:

The Peabody Museum is lovely and some of the traveling exhibits they display are very special but I'm not sure I would think it worth it to take public transportation from Black Falcon to Salem to see the Witch House. The downtown of Salem is walkable but I think you can find more interesting things to see and do in Boston.

We were in the North End last night and it was outstanding. That is the Italian section of our city and the place was fabulous on a beautiful evening. I've had a rough stretch lately and being with two girlfriends there really lifted my spirits.

Walk the Freedom Trail in Boston (or part of it); see the USS Constitution; Paul Revere House; tour Fenway Park if there is no afternoon game; go to Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall; Museum of Fine Arts; Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum; shop on Newbury Street or Copley Place for luxury stores or Downtown Crossing for Macy's et al; walk the beautiful Esplanade along the Charles River; cross the river and see Harvard Square; see the JFK Museum....... and on and on and on. There really is something for everyone in Boston.

Have a great seafood/lobster lunch. :)

Personally, I would not spend the time and energy to go to Salem when there is SO MUCH in Boston.

Good Day, Mom and I are doing a 14 days b2b cruise from Montreal-Boston-Montreal. But there's only one excursion on the Boston day since I guess most people get off. Does HAL offer anything on the change over day?? I was hoping to get up to Salam. Anyone have suggestions on tour companies?

I would want to do that, too ;) I just googled "salem witch tours from boston" and got all kinds of returns. I don't think CC permits us to provide links for that kind of thing, so maybe try the same search. Looks like there might tours you can take.

I believe a Seabourn ship is scheduled to dock in Salem in the very near future. I'm not sure she may even be there today..... Seabourn Quest.

I have lived North of Boston all my life. Salem is very familiar to me. Sometimes the locals actually know lots about the area in wihch they live. ;)

I would want to do that, too ;) I just googled "salem witch tours from boston" and got all kinds of returns. I don't think CC permits us to provide links for that kind of thing, so maybe try the same search. Looks like there might tours you can take.

What in particular interests you to see in Salem?

I was in Salem last week.

Yeah I saw a number on google. Thought some previous CC people might know of one that might pick us up from the port, also I number of them are 7.5 hrs and I don't think we have that long :) I will keep searching on there though

As for Boston, hate political american history I care not. (sorry) Nor sports fan.

And I love seafood but I'm from Newfoundland :) The Italian part sounds interesting though, I will have to look into that area.

As for the outlets they were on the way to Boston, hence why we didn't get the time by the time we got to Salem :)

I'm from the south of Boston...Boston is a fantastic, walkable city....I would do what Sail has suggested.

Salem is OK...my sister's BF renovated some brownstones in Salem and we spent time there...cousins lives nearby in Marblehead, Ipswich, Beverly, and Hamilton so we visit frequently.

Having said that, Boston is a lot more interesting. A swan boat ride in the Public Gardens, a walk along the Esplanade and the Charles River, browsing in the shops on Newbury Street or Charles Street, a walking tour of Back Bay and Beacon Hill....the list is endless.

I agree with Sail. Most of the extended family of my husband and myself have migrated to Boston so we visit there about once a month. There are many wonderful things to do in Boston that don't involve American political history.

We've also been to Salem, it's a delightful town and I would include it in a multi-day stay in the area. However, for a brief overlap in a B2B it would be far easier to stay in Boston.

Sail, my brother's family lives in the North End--a delightful and delicious part of town.

I'm from the south of Boston...Boston is a fantastic, walkable city....I would do what Sail has suggested.

Salem is OK...my sister's BF renovated some brownstones in Salem and we spent time there...cousins lives nearby in Marblehead, Ipswich, Beverly, and Hamilton so we visit frequently.

Having said that, Boston is a lot more interesting. A swan boat ride in the Public Gardens, a walk along the Esplanade and the Charles River, browsing in the shops on Newbury Street or Charles Street, a walking tour of Back Bay and Beacon Hill....the list is endless.

Thanks Sheila, what is the port like? Is it a port we can walk out of or will we need to arrange transport just to get out of the port area? Thanks for the help guys

I agree with Sail. Most of the extended family of my husband and myself have migrated to Boston so we visit there about once a month. There are many wonderful things to do in Boston that don't involve American political history.

We've also been to Salem, it's a delightful town and I would include it in a multi-day stay in the area. However, for a brief overlap in a B2B it would be far easier to stay in Boston.

Sail, my brother's family lives in the North End--a delightful and delicious part of town.

The three of us ladies ordered different dinners and all were wonderful. We had chicken cacciatore, veal marsala and chicken parmesan, pasta, salads, cannoli etc Wonderful. We had a lovely table by an open window with blooming window boxes all around the side of the building. The streets were full of people strolling, eating and just enjoying. It was a wonderful escape for me. :)

Under Boston Attractions .... don't forget Filene's Basement :D:D

Sadly, both Filene's and Filene's Basement are both long out of business. All stores are closed.

Awwwww .... :(

Now you know how long it's been since I've shopped in Boston.

Maybe it is time for another visit?

We'd be happy to welcome you back. :)

There currently is construction in progress at the former location of Filene's/Filene's Basement and that development sounds like it will be fabulous when completed. Hopefully that will be sometime during my lifetime. :eek: :D

We enjoyed our turn-around day in Boston. It is a lovely and interesting city.

You should keep in mind, the time the ship will be in port. We were there from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m., which meant we had to be back on board by 3 p.m. for the lifeboat drill. That made for a short day, so we opted for the ship's tour of Boston. If we'd had more time, we would have gone into town on our own, but with the tour we saw a lot of places we missed the last time we were there.

Whatever you decided to do, you will have an interesting day.

Thanks Sheila, what is the port like? Is it a port we can walk out of or will we need to arrange transport just to get out of the port area? Thanks for the help guys

It's about a 1.16 mile walk to South Station, which is roughly the start of central Boston. The SL2 Silver line of the "T" goes right past the cruise terminal. It runs as a bus out by the cruise terminal but goes underground about mid-route.

I'm not sure about the bureaucracy there. You should clear immigration at perhaps Portland or Bar Harbor, but most of the passengers will need to clear customs leaving the ship. I don't know if that would slow you down or not.

Roy

Hi

Since I was born in Boston and worked most of my life in Boston.Am I to understand you ddo not like any American History at all. Its ok most of mmy frienisa don't like it either.

One thing I di is take people visiting the city is to take the Boston harbor tours out to the Island of Boston but If you like history you will love this.

Not a history find or sports fan wow that is hard.. Boston is a walkable city.. Do not rent a car there is no parking. You will get lost or have a heart attck with our state drivers

Look at our city I really think of something for you to see. unless you might like museums we have all kinds you might be interested in

Mary

Hi

Not a history find or sports fan wow that is hard.. Boston is a walkable city.. Do not rent a car there is no parking. You will get lost or have a heart attck with our state drivers

Look at our city I really think of something for you to see. unless you might like museums we have all kinds you might be interested in

Mary

HAHA Love this about the streets. Last time we came in town we drove. Stayed at a hotel on the Harbour. Only town where the street changes its name 3 times and there is such a thing as a right, soft right and a hard right :)

I will find something I'm sure. Just gotta figure out what to do in town and how to get there haha

We cleared immigration in Bar Harbor, those leaving the ship in Boston went through customs there -- I think in the terminal. No one could disembark until the ship's tour left. If I remember correctly, independent passengers who were doing b2b had to leave before disembarkation began or had to wait until all disembarking passengers were off the ship. There was a special breifing before we got to Boston about the turnaround day procedures.

All wonderful suggestions. And yet, no one mentioned Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. kqcallahan, it's right next to the North End and has many unusual shops and pushcarts for shopping and many food stands and restaurants. It's also a great place for people watching - when I worked in the financial district, I used to wander over to Faneuil Hall, grab a bite to eat and sit and watch the locals and tourists wandering around. :D

Luna

All wonderful suggestions. And yet, no one mentioned Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. kqcallahan, it's right next to the North End and has many unusual shops and pushcarts for shopping and many food stands and restaurants. It's also a great place for people watching - when I worked in the financial district, I used to wander over to Faneuil Hall, grab a bite to eat and sit and watch the locals and tourists wandering around.

Outlet Malls in Boston? Where? :confused:

The Peabody Museum is lovely and some of the traveling exhibits they display are very special but I'm not sure I would think it worth it to take public transportation from Black Falcon to Salem to see the Witch House. The downtown of Salem is walkable but I think you can find more interesting things to see and do in Boston.

We were in the North End last night and it was outstanding. That is the Italian section of our city and the place was fabulous on a beautiful evening. I've had a rough stretch lately and being with two girlfriends there really lifted my spirits.

Walk the Freedom Trail in Boston (or part of it); see the USS Constitution; Paul Revere House; tour Fenway Park if there is no afternoon game; go to Quincy Market/Fanueil Hall; Museum of Fine Arts; Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum; shop on Newbury Street or Copley Place for luxury stores or Downtown Crossing for Macy's et al; walk the beautiful Esplanade along the Charles River; cross the river and see Harvard Square; see the JFK Museum....... and on and on and on. There really is something for everyone in Boston.

Have a great seafood/lobster lunch. :)

Personally, I would not spend the time and energy to go to Salem when there is SO MUCH in Boston.

YouMissedPost#4

Edited by sail7seas