Documents Required for Allure

Hi,

I'll be sailing this July on the Allure to the eastern Caribbean with extended family. My sister will be part of our group along with her husband and kids. She has a drivers license with her married name and obviously, her birth certificate has her maiden name. She does not have a current passport. Will these docs be sufficient or does she need some sort of marriage certificate as well (apparently, she doesn't have this and would have to order it)? I'm thinking many married women have a similar situation.

Thanks!

If you are in the United States you will need a

official birth certificate, one with the raised embossed stamp, and picture I.D. aka drivers license, and credit card if cabin in her name.

It is a "closed" loop cruise starting and ending in the U.S.

However, in the event of an injury or catastrophe, she would need a pass port to fly out of some of those ports of call. Not sure about St. thomas with it being a US territory.

You have time, get the pass port, it is good for 10 years--more cruises!!

Sea Ya

If you are in the United States you will need a

official birth certificate, one with the raised embossed stamp, and picture I.D. aka drivers license, and credit card if cabin in her name.

It is a "closed" loop cruise starting and ending in the U.S.

However, in the event of an injury or catastrophe, she would need a pass port to fly out of some of those ports of call. Not sure about St. thomas with it being a US territory.

You have time, get the pass port, it is good for 10 years--more cruises!!

Sea Ya

Wrong because not all BC's have raised seal and wrong again as no one is required to have a credit card

Without a passport I would have her get an official copy of her marriage license as a "bridge" document between the birth certificate & the driver's license...they very well may NOT ask for it, but sometimes they do...and for peace of mind I would have it....

Without a passport I would have her get an official copy of her marriage license as a "bridge" document between the birth certificate & the driver's license...they very well may NOT ask for it, but sometimes they do...and for peace of mind I would have it....

I totally agree with KC320 here. I looked through Royal's info on documents, and it does not specifically address your situation. You really should call them and double check, and if you are told that the marriage license is not needed, get it in writing. Otherwise I would note what is said on that page, I'm quoting it here:

"It is the sole responsibility of the guest to identify and obtain all required travel documents and have them available when necessary. These appropriate valid travel documents such as passports, visas, inoculation certificate and family legal documents are required for boarding and re-entry into the United States and other countries.

Guests who do not possess the proper documentation may be prevented from boarding their flight or ship or from entering a country and may be subject to fines. No refunds will be given to individuals who fail to bring proper documentation."

I would think the marriage license is what they might be referring to when they say: "family legal documents". Trying to go without it would be too much of a gamble for me.

Edited by Gayle V

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, she's going to just pay the money and spend the time to get an official version of the marriage certificate and then use it to get a passport. We're sailing in 8 weeks so, time is starting to get short for the passport.

I am so glad to have chosen a few years ago to just get a passport. It makes cruising super simple. I highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed that having a passport takes away all/most of the worry. I wouldn't be surprised if the rule will change and having a passport will be a requirement in the next few years anyways.

Wrong because not all BC's have raised seal and wrong again as no one is required to have a credit card

I think it is amazing how our TA made sure we had a passport, which we did,since we travel out of the country alot, so we did not have to take our official paper birth certificates (when cruising a loop)............maybe it was her rule, sorry for the confusion.

Also, I when cruising, I have only seen on the Pre- sail forms room for credit card information.................did not know about not having one is okay when sailing.............I apologize for this error.

Sea Ya

Thanks, everyone. Yeah, she's going to just pay the money and spend the time to get an official version of the marriage certificate and then use it to get a passport. We're sailing in 8 weeks so, time is starting to get short for the passport.

Keep in mind what name the booking is in. If the last name on the booking does not match the passport, you'll still need a marriage certificate as a bridge document.

Agreed that having a passport takes away all/most of the worry. I wouldn't be surprised if the rule will change and having a passport will be a requirement in the next few years anyways.

Highly unlikely. The document requirements were tightened in response to 9/11, resulting in the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, or WHTI. Passports are required for all international air travel to the US, but not by land or sea. A birth certificate is allowed under WHTI for closed loop cruises to Canada, Bermuda, the Caribbean, and Mexico. It took eight years for WHTI to take effect and nothing is going to change any time soon, unless there is another major security breach, such as a terrorist attack, G-d forbid.

To clarify, no passport is needed to fly to the continental US from St Thomas, or San Juan, since they are US territory.