With high prices and bad reviews why sail celebrity?

Loyal2Royal1995

Sorry to have been delayed in responding -- family emergency.

Thank you for your observations. What strikes me is that the changes you comment on are probably not designed to attract first-time Celebrity cruisers -- in order to widen the Celebrity passenger base. They seem to me to be changes that would appeal to long time X pax who want to move up to the "suite life." Yet it seems to be the long-time Celebrity pax who complain most about changes -- both to the culture on X and to loyalty perks.

Interesting...

Hope that the situation that keet you away has improved.

I've had the opportunity to talk to some of the top suite passengers in Michael's Club and found them basically to be first time Celebrity cruisers who said that they wanted to see if Celebrity works for them. A couple in the Reflection Suite told me that Celebrity won them over and booked a cruise next year in the Reflection Suite. Another couple, who described themselves as loyalist to another line told me that they have been impressed and look forward to returning when the new dining venue opens. Since Zeniths basically receive the top suite amenities there really is no need for them to book Suites. Much too early to draw any conclusions, but I think that the new approach seems to be attracting some new top end cruisers. Since this is a copy cat industry I expect the competition to up their games as well.

Ohhhh don't make the mistake of comparing an S class to Caribbean Princess. Princess stuck another passenger deck in her doing little to the public space. Solstice never felt crowded to us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not comparing, really, as I haven't been on s-class :) but CB is the biggest ship we've been on. It did not feel crowded -- just BIG. There was no ship motion at all, even though it was windy with choppy seas through much of our cruise. I like a ship to feel like it is at sea.

Hope that the situation that keet you away has improved.

I've had the opportunity to talk to some of the top suite passengers in Michael's Club and found them basically to be first time Celebrity cruisers who said that they wanted to see if Celebrity works for them. A couple in the Reflection Suite told me that Celebrity won them over and booked a cruise next year in the Reflection Suite. Another couple, who described themselves as loyalist to another line told me that they have been impressed and look forward to returning when the new dining venue opens. Since Zeniths basically receive the top suite amenities there really is no need for them to book Suites. Much too early to draw any conclusions, but I think that the new approach seems to be attracting some new top end cruisers. Since this is a copy cat industry I expect the competition to up their games as well.

Well, your survey results surprise me, but I guess it makes sense that already "high-end" cruisers might switch to a line they've never sailed for a suite package they find attractive. Somehow I have always thought of suite pax more as those who have been sailing with the same line for a lifetime, but apparently that is not necessarily the case! Thanks for the enlightening info.

Getting back to you after an unintentional delay --

We had a lovely time on Infinity, and we've had a lovely time on all our cruises, though we have our favorites. So far, our cruising preferences are for ships of not much more than 2000 pax, so S-class isn't high on our list at the moment. But that could change -- especially if Celebrity pax would give me specifics about why I should reconsider these ships.

Also, one specific difference I have read about regarding S-class vs M-class is that the thalassotherapy pool does not exist on S-class. That is a big negative for me (though it may not be for others). If all other things were equal, I would go with M-class for that alone.

Some people just prefer smaller ships and that is understandable (but how do you KNOW?) On the other hand, I would love to cruise on an Oasis Class ship just to give it a try! :o

Specifics on S Class...

(quite possibly nothing more than completely subjective, personal preferences :D)

Impressively large, visually stunning, drop dead gorgeous exterior, with clean white paint, and a sleek, modern design.

Pleasing to the eye, stimulating to the psyche, but still comfortable, contemporary modern décor. (OK, whoever picked some of the artwork on Silhouette HAD to have been psychotic :rolleyes:)

Plenty big enough to have multiple venues for relaxation, education, dining, and entertainment, while rarely feeling cramped or crowded. (OK, pool deck and buffet are occasional exceptions which I avoid at peak times)

Good food and great service in the MDR, wonderful food and fantastic service in the specialty restaurants. The BEST lamb chops I've ever had! (Murano, Tuscan, Lawn Club, Silk, Qsine)

Incredible variety in the buffet for both breakfast and lunch, tasty sashimi at 5, with yummy burgers and dogs poolside.

FUN but still laid back, COMFORTABLE, soothing and relaxing "FEEL" to the ships. (been on Solstice, Silhouette and Reflection, would LOVE to try the others!)

A pretty broad range of interesting and (mostly) enjoyable entertainment options. Multiple speakers on a wide range of topics, some impressive main theater shows, (Reflection!) comedians, and varied musical performers.

Multiple bar venues that serve FANTASTIC drinks, with wonderful service! (Sunset, Passport, Molecular, Martini Bar)

Edited by teecee60

We just love cruising and have never had issues on any lines. I think its great that you have someone make up your room twice a day, get served breakfast lunch and dinner, and have free entertainment for the duration of a cruise.

Some people just prefer smaller ships and that is understandable (but how do you KNOW?) On the other hand, I would love to cruise on an Oasis Class ship just to give it a try! :o

Specifics on S Class...

(quite possibly nothing more than completely subjective, personal preferences :D)

Impressively large, visually stunning, drop dead gorgeous exterior, with clean white paint, and a sleek, modern design.

Pleasing to the eye, stimulating to the psyche, but still comfortable, contemporary modern décor. (OK, whoever picked some of the artwork on Silhouette HAD to have been psychotic :rolleyes:)

Plenty big enough to have multiple venues for relaxation, education, dining, and entertainment, while rarely feeling cramped or crowded. (OK, pool deck and buffet are occasional exceptions which I avoid at peak times)

Good food and great service in the MDR, wonderful food and fantastic service in the specialty restaurants. The BEST lamb chops I've ever had! (Murano, Tuscan, Lawn Club, Silk, Qsine)

Incredible variety in the buffet for both breakfast and lunch, tasty sashimi at 5, with yummy burgers and dogs poolside.

FUN but still laid back, COMFORTABLE, soothing and relaxing "FEEL" to the ships. (been on Solstice, Silhouette and Reflection, would LOVE to try the others!)

A pretty broad range of interesting and (mostly) enjoyable entertainment options. Multiple speakers on a wide range of topics, some impressive main theater shows, (Reflection!) comedians, and varied musical performers.

Multiple bar venues that serve FANTASTIC drinks, with wonderful service! (Sunset, Passport, Molecular, Martini Bar)

Thank you for your very thoughtful and detailed description of what you like on S-class ships -- you should work for Celebrity!

May I ask, have you been on M-class ships to compare?

Some of what you describe sounds a lot like what we experienced on Infinity -- much of what does not sound familiar sounds pretty much how I have pictured S-class ships, and less than appealing to me. We have different tastes.

But I also wonder whether the M-class ships would seem familiar to me, either, as they have been changed, I understand.

We will be new to Celebrity this fall. I assure you I have done extensive reading about Celebrity and am looking forward to a top shelf experience. However, my post was an answer to the noted question.

I think you will very much enjoy your Celebrity Cruise, we always have. Our last cruise was on NCL because of the itineray as is our next one which is going to HI on Carnival (missed a few years in between due to family illness). We will be back on Celebrity in 2016 and are more excited about that cruise then our HI one.

There's an old saying...You can please some of the people all of the time, and, you can please all of the people some of the time, BUT, you can't please all the people, all the time.

I have never sailed on a Celebrity cruise that was not great! We just came off the Summit and booked it again for next year! Trying to get the whole family to book a cruise on Celebrity as they are Royal Caribbean cruisers. What's not to like? Staff is great! food is good and rooms are clean and some else makes the bed!

Your on vacation! Enjoy every minute! WE love Celebrity!

Cruiserone

May I ask, have you been on M-class ships to compare?

Some of what you describe sounds a lot like what we experienced on Infinity -- much of what does not sound familiar sounds pretty much how I have pictured S-class ships, and less than appealing to me. We have different tastes.

But I also wonder whether the M-class ships would seem familiar to me, either, as they have been changed, I understand.

I have cruised both Infinity and Constellation, in addition to Solstice, Silly (twice), and Flex. All were 14 or 15 nighters that allow you to get a real feel for the ship and crew. Never had a bad experience, and looking forward to another 15 nights on Reflection again this fall with the same expectation. I'd absolutely LOVE to do a 26-28 night B2B. ;)

I have not been on an M Class since they were "Solstice-ized," but I think I would be significantly disappointed with the loss of most of the topside jogging track to new cabins. The loss of a large portion of the Sky Lounge to kids club facilities is the single WORST decision X has ever made, tied with the similar gutting of the Sky Lounge on Reflection. :mad:

I never got to address your concern about the thalassotherapy pool on M Class ships. There IS a similar indoor pool on S Class in the same location that is VERY nice. The only reason I use pools is for diving, so shipboard pools have nothing to offer me. :o

I appreciate the dark rich woods and classic décor of M Class ships almost as much as the ultra cool, contemporary décor of S Class ships. Some like one or the other, some like neither, I like both. :)

My only complaint with X is their insane groping for a "new identity" by touting the empty, inane phrase "Modern Luxury" and marketing to a new, SIGNIFICANTLY younger age demographic. ANY business MUST change with the times, but these guys seem hell bent on alienating 90+ percent of their current guests by REVOLUTIONARY versus EVOLUTIONARY change.

It's absolutely pathetic, and should be embarrassing to the company, how totally incompetent Celebrity is at programing appropriate music and entertainment to the DIFFERENT segments of their shipboard audience.

Edited by teecee60

I have cruised both Infinity and Constellation, in addition to Solstice, Silly (twice), and Flex. All were 14 or 15 nighters that allow you to get a real feel for the ship and crew. Never had a bad experience, and looking forward to another 15 nights on Reflection again this fall with the same expectation. I'd absolutely LOVE to do a 26-28 night B2B. ;)

I have not been on an M Class since they were "Solstice-ized," but I think I would be significantly disappointed with the loss of most of the topside jogging track to new cabins. The loss of a large portion of the Sky Lounge to kids club facilities is the single WORST decision X has ever made, tied with the similar gutting of the Sky Lounge on Reflection. :mad:

I never got to address your concern about the thalassotherapy pool on M Class ships. There IS a similar indoor pool on S Class in the same location that is VERY nice. The only reason I use pools is for diving, so shipboard pools have nothing to offer me. :o

I appreciate the dark rich woods and classic décor of M Class ships almost as much as the ultra cool, contemporary décor of S Class ships. Some like one or the other, some like neither, I like both. :)

My only complaint with X is their insane groping for a "new identity" by touting the empty, inane phrase "Modern Luxury" and marketing to a new, SIGNIFICANTLY younger age demographic. ANY business MUST change with the times, but these guys seem hell bent on alienating 90+ percent of their current guests by REVOLUTIONARY versus EVOLUTIONARY change.

It's absolutely pathetic, and should be embarrassing to the company, how totally incompetent Celebrity is at programing appropriate music and entertainment to the DIFFERENT segments of their shipboard audience.

Based on what I am reading, you really should look at what HAL has to offer. We definitely prefer Celebrity, but they are far from perfect. I don't expect ANY cruise to be perfect, and each has their benefits and weak points,

Everyone has their OWN definition of 'perfect' and I hear HAL calling your name,

Again, I appreciate the effort you put into responding to my comments and questions (I imagine it takes extra time since you use the "hunt and peck" method :p :)). I have seen photos of the "solarium" pool on S-class ships, and it looks very nice, and I believe it is adults only, which is great. But I have heard this pool is not heated and has no water jets, etc., the distinctions of the thalossotherapy pool, of course. Perhaps when folks say it is "not heated" they mean it is of the usual rather cool temperature of cruise ship pools. But if you do not use ship pools, you probably cannot confirm this either way... Actually, the only ship pool I have ever used is the T-pool on Infinity!

One other thing you mentioned that sounds unlike my taste is the "ultra-cool, contemporary" styling of the newer ships -- yep, I'm and old-school gal and like the woods, brass, etc. ("classic décor," as you call it) that give ships a nautical feel. Based on photos I've seen, the newer ships seem sterile, almost hospital-like to me -- just not my idea of "nautical."

Who knows if I'll sail with Celebrity again. It will be decided by price, itinerary, ship, all the usual considerations. We have very much enjoyed trying different lines, and will probably try a few more at some point. If we return to any cruise line, it will most likely be HAL (our favorite, so far) or Carnival (just for the convenience and price). But Celebrity is certainly not out of the running.

Actually I've quit reading the reviews in the review section and just look at the overall star rating for a ship I might be interested in. Some people will state their cruise was the worst because the room attendant may have forgotten to make a towel animal or the buffet ran out of bacon for 5 minutes. Too many people on CC are professional victims and they'll never be happy. I think the vast amount of cruisers who go on Celebrity have a great time. Will it be perfect every time? No, but what is perfect in life?

Too many people on CC are professional victims and they'll never be happy. I think the vast amount of cruisers who go on Celebrity have a great time. Will it be perfect every time? No, but what is perfect in life?

I believe this statement, as well believe too many are "professional cruisers" who have come to have far higher expectations for their cruise than a typical cruiser may have, which leads to shattered experiences when something isn't delivered that was on a prior cruise.

It's why I honestly believe Cruise Critic is not the best source for people to truly understand what a cruising vacation is all about, its a place for the hyper-informed, OCD types (myself included) to come and get into the minutia of cruising, and also why we CCers are not the best "target audience" for cruise line to pay attention to either (myself again included).

Actually I've quit reading the reviews in the review section and just look at the overall star rating for a ship I might be interested in. Some people will state their cruise was the worst because the room attendant may have forgotten to make a towel animal or the buffet ran out of bacon for 5 minutes. Too many people on CC are professional victims and they'll never be happy. I think the vast amount of cruisers who go on Celebrity have a great time. Will it be perfect every time? No, but what is perfect in life?

One of my favorite reviews was the one that having to ask for ice diminished their cruising experience. They got it everyday after requesting it, but wow it diminished their cruising experience. You've really got to wonder how these folks get along in their daily lives, where so many things aren't perfect.

I read all the reviews but take them with a grain of salt. My wife and I sailed Carnival once a the cruise was horrible because we picked the wrong cruise not because of Carnival. We went on slack week/March break week for US colleges and there were 2000 college students that were there in full party mode. They were drunk and disgusting just like I probably was when I was their age when I drank. I have sailed HAL 5 times since that cruise and enjoyed every cruise. I have listened to people ***** and complain about the most trivial stupid things. My towel animal was crooked, the fire drill was hot, my omelette didn't have enough cheese, (made to order). I was in the hot tub on the Westerdam and this lady was non stop complaining about the food and my wife asked her what was wrong with it and she said her chicken had to much spice in it on the Mexican buffet. She also said Dominica was nice but it rained a bit. I informed her she was in the "Rain Forest" and it rains 300 inches a year so the chances of not having it rain were slim to none. Some people were just born to nit pick and find fault with everything. I personally don't like the food on cruise ships. Why you ask?? I am just an average guy who doesn't eat in 5 star restaurants every night !! To overcome this I get a burger and fries on the Lido deck or a peanut butter and banana sandwich from room service. Works for me.

I believe this statement, as well believe too many are "professional cruisers" who have come to have far higher expectations for their cruise than a typical cruiser may have, which leads to shattered experiences when something isn't delivered that was on a prior cruise.

It's why I honestly believe Cruise Critic is not the best source for people to truly understand what a cruising vacation is all about, its a place for the hyper-informed, OCD types (myself included) to come and get into the minutia of cruising, and also why we CCers are not the best "target audience" for cruise line to pay attention to either (myself again included).

This is so interesting -- and I agree with you completely -- but, ironically, I also have the opposite opinion! (Don'tcha just love Cruise Critic?) Well, to be honest, I don't have the opposite opinion, but I see the problem from the other side of the coin -- Cruise Critic is really not the best place to find out about a cruise vacation not only because there is so much complaining, because there is so much "cheerleading!" There is a large contingent, as we all know, who tolerate no negative comments about their beloved cruise line, and therefore paint a picture of cruise line perfection that no line or ship could ever live up to. This feeds into the tendency for cruise newbies, or certainly newbies to a particular cruise line, to be disappointed with their cruise, because -- guess what -- it was not PERFECT, as they were led to believe it would be by the cheerleaders! It is not only because folks complain too much about the minutiae on their cruise, but also because folks "complain" too little. CC posters who make everything sound perfect, or who vehemently beat into submission anyone who makes the slightest negative comment about their favorite cruise line, actually set up unrealistic expectations and thus foster disappointment, which does their favorite cruise line no good. If my choices are "rose-colored glasses" or realism with a dose of negative minutae, I'll take the latter, any day! I have cruise enough to know what to consider personally important and what not to.

I have found this thread refreshing in that it is not bloated with cheerleaders, nor "crabby-cakes," either.

<smashes head on desk>

....I sail on Celebrity because I love the ships, love the relaxation, love the food, love the itineraries and AM A FREE INDIVIDUAL!

Not a sheep!

Absolutely agree with you.I fell in love with the Eclipse when I saw her....that is the reason I booked her for last year, this year and next year. Once we boarded, well what can I say! WOW

To the OP......Please by all means read what others say but remember, their opinion is just that. With nearly 3000 passengers on board, you can rest assured that not all will have the same experience. It is YOUR experience that matters. If you enjoyed your first cruise with celebrity, then chances are you WILL enjoy your next. Go forth and Cruise with relaxation and an open mind :D:)

Howdy,

I've just returned home from the June 2nd Reflection 11 day sailing of the Med.

So you get an idea of my frame of reference: This was my 28th cruise since 1990. I've sailed on HAL, NCL, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Xpedition to the Galapagos, a Vantage European river cruise, and Cruise North to the Arctic.

I like the Elite perks I get with Celebrity. Perks I use everyday while on board.

So there is loyalty on my part to Royal Caribbean Corp. (I get Diamond status on RCCL ships

too). I got my clothes washed/folded, free drinks every night, nice cocktail party with the officers and staff, breakfast each morning in the Tuscan Grille with fruit smoothies, free internet time, elegant tea in Blu. Makes for a nicer vacation experience for me.

I like the attention Celebrity pays keeping onboard illness to a minimum. Purell dispensers stationed everywhere, crew with portable units when you re-board after a day in port. Staff cleaning the rails and elevators.

I liked my recent Med cruise so much, I booked 2 more cruises while on the ship.

Galapagos and a Baltic cruise.

See ya onboard...

This is so interesting -- and I agree with you completely -- but, ironically, I also have the opposite opinion! (Don'tcha just love Cruise Critic?) Well, to be honest, I don't have the opposite opinion, but I see the problem from the other side of the coin -- Cruise Critic is really not the best place to find out about a cruise vacation not only because there is so much complaining, because there is so much "cheerleading!" There is a large contingent, as we all know, who tolerate no negative comments about their beloved cruise line, and therefore paint a picture of cruise line perfection that no line or ship could ever live up to. This feeds into the tendency for cruise newbies, or certainly newbies to a particular cruise line, to be disappointed with their cruise, because -- guess what -- it was not PERFECT, as they were led to believe it would be by the cheerleaders! It is not only because folks complain too much about the minutiae on their cruise, but also because folks "complain" too little. CC posters who make everything sound perfect, or who vehemently beat into submission anyone who makes the slightest negative comment about their favorite cruise line, actually set up unrealistic expectations and thus foster disappointment, which does their favorite cruise line no good. If my choices are "rose-colored glasses" or realism with a dose of negative minutae, I'll take the latter, any day! I have cruise enough to know what to consider personally important and what not to.

I have found this thread refreshing in that it is not bloated with cheerleaders, nor "crabby-cakes," either.

Bingo!

I believe this statement ("Too many people on CC are professional victims and they'll never be happy"), as well believe too many are "professional cruisers" who have come to have far higher expectations for their cruise than a typical cruiser may have, which leads to shattered experiences when something isn't delivered that was on a prior cruise.

This is so interesting -- and I agree with you completely -- but, ironically, I also have the opposite opinion! (Don'tcha just love Cruise Critic?) Well, to be honest, I don't have the opposite opinion, but I see the problem from the other side of the coin -- Cruise Critic is really not the best place to find out about a cruise vacation not only because there is so much complaining, because there is so much "cheerleading!" There is a large contingent, as we all know, who tolerate no negative comments about their beloved cruise line, and therefore paint a picture of cruise line perfection that no line or ship could ever live up to. This feeds into the tendency for cruise newbies, or certainly newbies to a particular cruise line, to be disappointed with their cruise, because -- guess what -- it was not PERFECT, as they were led to believe it would be by the cheerleaders! It is not only because folks complain too much about the minutiae on their cruise, but also because folks "complain" too little. CC posters who make everything sound perfect, or who vehemently beat into submission anyone who makes the slightest negative comment about their favorite cruise line, actually set up unrealistic expectations and thus foster disappointment, which does their favorite cruise line no good. If my choices are "rose-colored glasses" or realism with a dose of negative minutiae, I'll take the latter, any day! I have cruise enough to know what to consider personally important and what not to.

This is the best 2-sided standpoint/analysis I've seen in years.. I can see both viewpoints very clearly.... and I applaud you both for shedding light to diametrically opposed, yet equally valid, perspectives....

This is what mature online discussions should be all about.. It sheds light on ideas and topics from which we can all benefit... without belittling or denouncing anyone else's opinion.

To me THIS is what the Cruise Critic forums should be all about..

- Rick

This is the best 2-sided standpoint/analysis I've seen in years.. I can see both viewpoints very clearly.... and I applaud you both for shedding light to diametrically opposed, yet equally valid, perspectives....

This is what mature online discussions should be all about.. It sheds light on ideas and topics from which we can all benefit... without belittling or denouncing anyone else's opinion.

- Rick

We sail on a number of cruise lines because we are destination focussed rather than ship. Which means I spend a lot of time on CC.

Surprisingly, or maybe not, nearly all the lines we cruise with have their CC champions. Some more obvious than others. Some possibly posting because of conviction, other posting because of ....

Whatever, CC is still the place I visit to learn. What you learn is up to your own common sense.

- Rick

Maybe there's just something about Celebrity that attracts the more balanced, intellectual cruiser than some other lines...

this is so interesting -- and i agree with you completely -- but, ironically, i also have the opposite opinion! (don'tcha just love cruise critic?) well, to be honest, i don't have the opposite opinion, but i see the problem from the other side of the coin -- cruise critic is really not the best place to find out about a cruise vacation not only because there is so much complaining, because there is so much "cheerleading!" there is a large contingent, as we all know, who tolerate no negative comments about their beloved cruise line, and therefore paint a picture of cruise line perfection that no line or ship could ever live up to. This feeds into the tendency for cruise newbies, or certainly newbies to a particular cruise line, to be disappointed with their cruise, because -- guess what -- it was not perfect, as they were led to believe it would be by the cheerleaders! It is not only because folks complain too much about the minutiae on their cruise, but also because folks "complain" too little. Cc posters who make everything sound perfect, or who vehemently beat into submission anyone who makes the slightest negative comment about their favorite cruise line, actually set up unrealistic expectations and thus foster disappointment, which does their favorite cruise line no good. If my choices are "rose-colored glasses" or realism with a dose of negative minutae, i'll take the latter, any day! I have cruise enough to know what to consider personally important and what not to.

well said !