What is the difference between a Cove Balcony and a regular balcony

Patches1966

We will be cruising in June having booked our first Cove balcony on the Magic. So I can't say from practical experience, but I do know that the cove balconies are on the lower decks, closest to the water. I think they are below the lifeboats and are standard sized balcony rooms. the balcony is covered; not sure if it's a standard size balcony, we will have to see. The price is lower also than those balconies on higher decks.

They are closer to the water and beneath the lifeboats. We were on Deck 2 on last year's Breeze cruise. I'm not sure if they're smaller or larger or pretty much the same size as the regular balcony. For some reason, I think that it was slightly larger(?). I truly loved the cove balcony however this year we're trying a Lido deck...but not to say that we won't go back to a cove.

The difference is mainly in the balcony itself. The Cove Balconies on the Dream class of ship are on Deck 2 in the hull of the ship. Therefore, an opening is cut right into the sheet metal of the hull to provide the "opening". The balcony is surrounded by sheet metal. If you are a balcony lover like us, these balconies do not provide the same experience we are used to.....as they are more closed in and thus darker....very little sunlight unless at the right angle comes in. Also, if the weather turns stormy, there are electronically controlled panels that close over the door and window in a cove balcony room for safety sake (so you can't get out) and to prevent water flooding damage. That turns your cabin into an "inside" room for the time being, if you don't mind that.

We prefer the traditional balcony that has a railing about a third of the way up with glass to the ground and it is totally open above the railing. As far as size there is not much difference in the balcony size and the cabins are identical.

There are folks who love the cove balconies, which are an improvement over an inside room or an ocean view as you do get to go "outside" somewhat and smell the fresh air. We just prefer a more "open" balcony.

The difference is mainly in the balcony itself. The Cove Balconies on the Dream class of ship are on Deck 2 in the hull of the ship. Therefore, an opening is cut right into the sheet metal of the hull to provide the "opening". The balcony is surrounded by sheet metal. If you are a balcony lover like us, these balconies do not provide the same experience we are used to.....as they are more closed in and thus darker....very little sunlight unless at the right angle comes in. Also, if the weather turns stormy, there are electronically controlled panels that close over the door and window in a cove balcony room for safety sake (so you can't get out) and to prevent water flooding damage. That turns your cabin into an "inside" room for the time being, if you don't mind that.

We prefer the traditional balcony that has a railing about a third of the way up with glass to the ground and it is totally open above the railing. As far as size there is not much difference in the balcony size and the cabins are identical.

There are folks who love the cove balconies, which are an improvement over an inside room or an ocean view as you do get to go "outside" somewhat and smell the fresh air. We just prefer a more "open" balcony.

They do not cover the window in bad weather. There is a storm door that covers the balcony door in bad weather, but you will still be able to see out the window. It has happened a few times from what I have read on this forum. So it turns your room more into an ocean view room if they need to cover the door. But the odds of this happening are small but still there.

We had a cove balcony on the Breeze and really enjoyed being that close to the water and we also liked having the shade. We get plenty of sun when we are on the Lido deck and when we are in port. Oh and the standard balcony is 35 sq ft and the cove balcony is 45 sq ft.

Sharon

Edited by luv2trvlnow

Never did a cove but from what you're saying think I'll stick with my traditional balcony too.

Ummmm? The hull of the ship is not sheet metal. It is standard industrial steel. Yes the opening for these balcony cabins are cut out from the steel hull on the side of the ship. As mentioned if really rough weather is expected the crew will secure your balcony and you will be unable to go outside. They will also open the dividers between balconies as it is part of the process to allow any water not to collect and I believe they also are part of what is used to secure your balcony door.

I have a cove balcony booked for the 3rd time. I love it. We always book a balcony room. These cabins are the same but u get a little more leg room in a cove. A ton more privacy and no glass blocking your view. I truly recommend trying it one time. I have heard only once of the doors ever getting closed. I was in really rough seas on the dream and never was there any water on our balcony.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The cove balconies are located on the 2nd deck.

Very close to the water.

Some people LOVE them.

Some people HATE them.

DH has ZERO desire to book one.

He prefers the Lido balconies, as do I:D:D:D

I really think it boils down to a personal preference.

Little, if any, sun on the coves.

If the weather is bad, they will lock your door, and no access to balcony.

Total crap shoot.

Not to worry about closing door. This was a question asked and of all dream ships it happened once or twice. I have yet to hear it happen to anyone. I love to be able to hang out going into ports in my pjs on the balcony. That u can do. U r not able to lay out and get sun on your balcony either way. It's only a chair. Don't comment until u have tried both.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have never sailed in a cove balcony, but have 2 booked on the Dream in February. Did a lot of research before booking, and it seems pretty overwhelming that the people who stayed in them, LOVE them. Hope I feel the same! The pic shows where they are. They are the rounded openings under the life boats. Very close to the water.

cove.jpg.43dcf0699c345f85207abd80e99763d9.jpg

If the weather is bad, they will lock your door, and no access to balcony.

Total crap shoot.

Personal opinion.... if the weather is bad enough for the door to be closed, it's unlikely anyone will be hanging out on any balcony so which one you have won't matter.

Never did a cove but from what you're saying think I'll stick with my traditional balcony too.

Don't let bad information sway your decision to try a cove. The op is correct about less sun, but that is about as far as it goes... I was in a cove Sept 2013 on a western carribean through a hurricane and not once did they close our storm door. Also on a Dream class ship if you want to be able to look out over your balcony and see water book a cove. If you want to look over and see a deck and people book a traditional balcony. If you are really adventurous book a balcony on deck 6 so people can look onto your balcony from outside...

I've stayed in both, I absolutely love the cove balcony. The waves are up close and personal :D

And so are the pier runners if you are on the dock side.

They are balcony of choice for me. Not a sun worshiper, no one below you.

I am one that prefers the cove. I loved being close to the water. Google pictures and it will give you more sense of the differences. You tube also has some videos.

I did just that,had to check out what a cove is all about.

I would try it.

The link below has many pic's of Carnival Dream Cove.

You will even see Carnival workers sealing up the Doors...

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/carnivaldream/coveDummies.htm

Oh...forgot to add....last year on our cruise there were dolphins swimming and jumping alongside the ship. My son & I were on the Lido deck and saw them (DS was worried that the ship would hit them). Anyway, I can only imagine how cool it would've been to see them up close from our cove balcony...

Anyway, as others have stated, it's a matter of preference but I wouldn't hesitate to take a cove again....

Video tour of my Cove Balcony cabin on Breeze in 2012. See link in my Sig below.

:)

I appreciate your video of your cove cabin, we will be in 2369 on the Magic in June! We are really excited about the cove balcony.