Calling all Pirates of the Caribbean - Advice required

moomoocow

Hi all

Below is our intenary for Rio-Miami.

Barbados excepted (because I've been there before) I am looking for recommendations for each port. Assume all port times are 10am to 6pm.

Rio de Janeiro

Santos, Brazil

Salvador, Brazil

Bridgetown, Barbados

Saint George, Grenada

Willemstad, Curacao

Oranjestad, Aruba

Falmouth, Jamaica

Georgetown, Cayman Islands

What experiences have you had at these ports that you would recommend? Also if you know of any places with free or cheap wi-fi then please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Give us a little more info about what types of things you like to do. Are you beachy, snorkel types? History and/or Architecture buffs? Love to hang at touristy spots and people watch? That might help.

I can start by telling you what we have done and enjoyed in each port.

Bridgetown, Barbados-Cab to Harrison's Caves which included an informal island tour with a stop to photograph and feed the wild monkeys.

Willemstad, Curacao-Cab for snorkeling at Playa Lagun, Rental car to Playa Porto Mari Beach for snorkeling.

Oranjestad, Aruba-Cab to Palm Beach, Rental Car to drive around 1/2 of the island including the California Lighthouse, snorkeling at Boca Catalina/Catalina Cove Beaches, Bushiribana gold ruins, Natural Bridge and Baby Bridge, Ayo rock formations and Casibari Rock Garden.

Falmouth, Jamaica-Historic Culinary Walking Tour (see my current review for details). I have also climbed Dunn's River Falls and River tubing, but both were from the port Ochos Rios. They are quite a drive from Falmouth.

Georgetown, Cayman Islands-Island tour including Hell, Dolphins or Turtles, and Rum Cake tasting; Swim with Stingrays; 7-Mile Beach; Jolly Roger Pirate snorkeling Excursion, Walking to Eden Rock dive shop in town and snorkeling there.

As you probably already know, many places in each port will advertise free WiFi to get you in their doors. I find asking around among the crew, waitstaff, reception desk, cabin steward, usually finds you the most reliable WIFI. They know the best spots.

Also check out the port boards on Cruise Critic for great ideas.

Thanks Mrs Squirrel!

Basically we will do anything that seems exciting, interesting or unusual. Mr Moo isn't a massive snorkelling fan but will indulge me if required. I'm keen to hear of recent experiences from fellow cruisers, whatever they chose to do.

Now make sure this posting doesn't keep you from your review that we are all enjoying immensely :D

Hi MooMoo! not done many of these ports but for the ones I have done:-

Rio - how long are you there? You have to wander the boardwalk at Ipanema and Copocabana - trust me , you and tick will both definitely enjoy the view(and I'm not just talking about the surf!). Brazilians live for the beach and all walks of life mix there. There are various sports, open air beach gyms, classrooms, you name it, it is going on on the beach. Tourist train up Corcovado to the cristobalite redeemer statue is a must - you can't really be in Rio and not do it. Either get there early or try booking tickets online. We went there about 11 and stood in a queue to buy tickets for around 20 minutes or so and our tickets were for the 13.00 train. We had 3 days there so were happy to wander off for a drink and early lunch. Not so good if you're trying to cram a lot oin. The toursists train is part of the experience but you probably could get up to the top quicker by taxi. The views up there are spectacular.

Then there is the cable car ride up to sugar loaf mountain another great thing to do of the mist isn't shrouding the top. It is in 2stages. Allowing for queueing to get on and doing the whole thing at a reasonably relaxing pace -allow at least 2 hours.

Salvador - unbelievably easy and cheap to DIY. Come out the terminal and turn right and walk about 5 minutes up the road. Cross the road at the junction and you'll see the mercado modelo opposite (indoor market) they have some interesting stalls and some of the stuff is reasonably proced. Go out the back of it and you'll see the public elevators diagonally to the right across the road. Costs peanuts to ride up to the old town in the alto barrio. Queues move quite quickly. You'll come out up top in a biff square. Great views of the bay from here. You an ya also see some of their famous ladies in crinoline dresses there. It's a pretty square with multi coloured pastel shaded buildings. Go to the top left of the square and go along that street and you'll come to an even nicer square. They have no shortage of churches there. Can't remember what you all that Brazilian style of fight dancing, but when I was there there was a group of guys busking doing a show in the middle of the square. Just wander around and admire the buildings and atmosphere. Plenty pavement style bars and cafes as well. Take a brolly or a rain coat - Salavador tends to have sudden and heVy downpours but thankfully they don't seem to last long.

Grenada - first time we did a tour of the Island going to nutmeg places Nd some stunning scenery. Next time I just wandered around the hectic mRkt in the main town. LiterLly you fall into the centre of town and spice (and loads of other stuff) mRket as you cross the road coming out the terminal.

Have a fab time!

moomoo .... Right at the end of the dock is the elevated Fort George where they do an excellent guided tour with no charge to go in but a decent tip for the guide at the end if you feel they have given you a good tour ... :) ours was very informative. There are great views from the Fort, come down out of the Fort and turn right and head through the tunnel under the fort to the other side where there is a large bay and small fish market.

When you head back to town as Amo says take a stroll around the spice market, as we looked around one of the Grenadian women said to Kerry if you are not going to buy my spices at least leave me your husband .... :eek: we walked away laughing.

Papcx - the main reason for getting off the floating gin palace is to give the liver a rest!

Amo - thanks very much for your suggestions. Between you and Sidari I've got a great day planned in Grenada for not much outlay.

I want to make sure where possible we DIY ports. Most of our "port cash" will be going on Rio as we are thinking of hiring a tour guide for us both for the day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk