Explorer of the Seas Formal Nights

We have cruised many times, but only two cruises that were less than seven nights (and that was a couple of years ago). We are going on Explorer for a five night cruise. My DH all ways brings a tux to wear on formal nights. On shorter cruises are many tuxes worn? I am thinking maybe this time dress pants, jacket and tie could do. Will he be out of place wearing the tux on a shorter cruise?

I tried searching on CC, but did not come up with an answer.

PS

I read what RCCL suggest on formal nights, but I want to know which would he blend in more with other PAX.

Edited by geocruiser

It certainly will. My husband takes his tux on every cruise. A shirt, tie and slacks are appropriate and he won't be out of place if he wears a tux. Whatever makes him comfortable. Enjoy your cruise.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Forums mobile app

Edited by lovetocruiserccl

There will be some men wearing a tux, but they will be a small minority.

That is what I was thinking too. We drive to the port so there is plenty of room to take the tux. But he would like to be more in line with others are wearing, I think.

WE were on Sovereign Of The Seas in 2003, for a four night cruise. He brought his TUX on that cruise. We were happy he did cause PAX were dressed to the nines!

Edited by geocruiser

Lots of things have changed since 2003. Dressing down seems to be "in fashion." I have seen some couples still dressed to the nines but they are far and few between. My DH takes a dark suit and fits right in.

Hmm, I was thinking about renting a tux - maybe dressing down is a better idea...

Go ahead and rent the tux. You will look smashing. As I have stated on other posts concerning this topic on our last Explorer cruise, a 10 nighter, our table of 8 couples was 2 tuxes and 2 dark suits on formal night.

I continually read that people are not dressing up for formal night. I think that may be some cruisers experience but for us I would say most do dress up. Those who do not probably eat in the buffet or specialty restaurant where dress code is not formal. Many also change after dinner. We usually dress for the night unless my shoes are really hurting.

Lots of things have changed since 2003. Dressing down seems to be "in fashion." I have seen some couples still dressed to the nines but they are far and few between. My DH takes a dark suit and fits right in.

its not really fashion as it is being lazy and be all about comfort. Suit is just fine i agree. Tux is not needed in todays world of the casual trend. shame , i rather like dressing up. and i dont get it as a money standpoint because anyone can go to a goodwill thrift shop and get slacks and a jacket for under $20

its not really fashion as it is being lazy and be all about comfort. Suit is just fine i agree. Tux is not needed in todays world of the casual trend. shame , i rather like dressing up. and i dont get it as a money standpoint because anyone can go to a goodwill thrift shop and get slacks and a jacket for under $20

It is funny, the reason my husband brought a TUX was for comfort. He just hate ties. He uses a shirt ( Mandarin Collar Shirts) with a button clip. A sparkly one. With a regular suit he has to wear a tie and he has a short neck, so the tie is not comfortable. So I guess the tux will come.

Edited by geocruiser

It is funny, the reason my husband brought a TUX was for comfort. He just hate ties. He uses a shirt with a button clip. A sparkly one. With a regular suit he has to wear a tie and he has a short neck, so the tie is not comfortable. So I guess the tux will come.

thats interesting as i stated in another thread why do some refuse to wear ties or hate them.

he will look sharp in his tux, but he may be sitting next to a bobo in shorts and a baseball shirt. lol :D

Edited by Harooni

Earlier this month I was on the Explorer for the 5 Night Bermuda. I didn't notice anyone in a Tux, and there were only a few people wearing Jackets/Suits in the MDR. Most men wore collared shirts with or without a tie.

I wore a nice black shirt (no tie) and black pants on formal night.

If your DH is comfortable wearing a Tux, go for it. If he'd prefer to wear a collared shirt with no tie and nice pants, that'll work too.

It's your vacation, dress as you feel comfortable.

Even though I wear a suit and tie every day, at work, I always bring my tux if driving to a port, or I will rent one if I am flying. This includes 5 night cruises. It does not bother me if folks at the next table are wearing jeans and T shirts. It is their vacation. I am on my vacation, so I wear the tux. By the way, I look damned good in a tux! ;)

Eric