MSC DIVINA: Without Rose Tinted Glasses

cruisetrail

???????????

I'm sorry, maybe I'm just been stupid, but what does that mean?

Does what you've posted on the subject make you a "travel professional"

Definition 'Professional' - engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur.

For example, I am a professional mother. I have three children of my own that I stay at home to look after. BUT... I also have three boys between 13-18 who live with us and whom I care for in a professional capacity - being paid on a fortnightly basis for this service.

Staying at home with my boys for the last twelve years does not make me a professional mother - no matter how thoughtful, well researched and dedicated I am. However, getting paid for caring for three additional teenagers certainly does!

Being a prolific traveller who engages in thoughtful research does not make one a professional. Only get paid for doing it makes one a travel professional.

Edited by Katgoesonholiday

My above post is not intended to be a jab at cruisetrail. But I do think that he is using the term 'travel professional' very ambiguously and failing to clarify how he is defining it. I am hoping my above post clarifies what the generally accepted understanding of 'professional' is so that cruisetrail can specify whether this is what he means or whether he is using another definition for the term.

We have been on about 5 different cruise lines and before every cruise and after each cruise, we always make a point of spending some time on that cruise lines CC board. So during those times, we have read the same things that the OP has posted here, made by others on those boards.

It is the same things all over,

Food quality is down

Service is not what it used to be

They have had to cutback on so many things

They are nickel and diming us to death

Guest services just doesn't care about my complaints

Why are there so many kids running around

Well, we had one or two good shows

etc.

etc.

I think you all get the point. If you go into each cruise looking at the past and looking at what isn't what you would really like it to be, you are doomed to have a bad cruise. For some, they will never be satisfied and only look to find fault.

I was in a service business for 30 years. When my customers approached me with an attitude, they sort of got an attitude right back. When customers approached me with a smile and a pleasant personality, that is exactly what they got back.

To the OP, maybe if you had a better attitude, you would get that back.

Cheers

Len

Definition 'Professional' - engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as an amateur.

For example, I am a professional mother. I have three children of my own that I stay at home to look after. BUT... I also have three boys between 13-18 who live with us and whom I care for in a professional capacity - being paid on a fortnightly basis for this service.

Staying at home with my boys for the last twelve years does not make me a professional mother. However, getting paid for caring for three additional teenagers certainly does!

Being a prolific traveller who engages in thoughtful research does not make one a professional. Only get paid for doing it makes one a travel professional.

And therefore if one gets paid, it suggests that the person paying the person actually wants some sort of result. Perhaps fair, balanced or perhaps otherwise.

Very interesting...if fact it seems that a "professional" might not be the best person to read reviews from unless you know who is paying them and more importantly, why.

Still a video tour of the dinner buffet. For me I can't wait. Why is it taking so long?

And therefore if one gets paid, it suggests that the person paying the person actually wants some sort of result. Perhaps fair, balanced or perhaps otherwise.

Very interesting...if fact it seems that a "professional" might not be the best person to read reviews from unless you know who is paying them and more importantly, why.

Good points - and all things that should be made clear so that one can appropriately judge what has been posted on the subject.

For instance, we were recently given a long lecture on how the Panasonic air conditioning units were inferior and a point by point description of where they failed....by a Fujitsu salesperson. Sure he knows a lot about air conditioners but he's not the best person to believe when it comes to evaluating the competition!

Noted, you did say 24 days!

Were you in Europe at the time?

That's been our holdup from doing Med Cruises, the cost of air round trip makes the Med Cruise costs skyrocket for us, and far more expensive then a Caribbean cruise!

Here we drive to Miami/Fort Lauderdale for about $35.one way, or Port Canaveral for $20. one way since we live in Florida!

Total costs (including air) for us is still far less in the Caribbean on the Divina then even the low price you got on the Med. 24 day cruise!

That said, we are looking at 2015/2016 to a transatlantic on the Divina (when they announce their schedules), over in the spring, visit family/friends in Europe, and back in the fall! Better then flying anyday!:D

No, we had to pay $1150 r/t each on BA for air from Vancouver to Barcelona and return from Rome to Vancouver. The main attraction of doing the Med. as a back-to-back in October was we got to spend 3 days in Venice with the ship as a home base saving us the exorbitant cost of a land hotel, plus we did earn almost enough points from the trip to pay for our airfare to Florida this year. Actually the most expensive part of the trip was paying for private excursions at most of the ports, esp. in Italy. With the limited time @ each stop, going by private vans for 6-8 persons on pre-booked tours with guides meant we got to see and do a lot more than trying to do it on our own or even on the ship's excursions.

There are times I envy those live in Florida for their access to cheap cruises since we love cruising, then I remember the hot muggy summers (had to go to Florida 2-3 times a year on business) and I know why I love living in Vancouver (Canada). Only wish there were more west coast cruises other than Alaska or Mexico. Of course we have to live with insane real estate prices here - a standard size (60'x130') building lot in a good part of town is now over $3 million dollars, even in the suburbs (where we live) it is around $1 million for the land and we still have to build a house on it.

You must be retired (or rich)to be have enough time to spend an entire summer in Europe! Wish I could do that but there is no way my work would allow that - I am self-employed and do have the luxury of scheduling my work around our travel plans, but my clients would kill me if I disappeared for several months. It was hard to fit in the five weeks last year (we spent a few days pre and post cruise in Europe since we had to pay for the airfare anyways). That said, we are looking to do the same 24 day Barcelona to Rome on Princess in October 2015 - hope we can find a similar cheap price. It may happen since next year there will be several large ships doing the Med. adding almost 10,000 berths into the region.

This is not true.

How many is several?:)

I will post a video tour of the dinner buffet.

About RCI dinner buffet. It's the weakest part of RCI product - thus the closest point to MSC Divina.

Princess buffet and everything dining in general is space years above MSC Divina.

Oh my. Calling another poster a liar?

Doesn't that contravene the rules of these boards? Don't you normally throw a hissy fit and demand removal of similar posts when directed at you?

Not very professional Cruisetrail.

Oh my. Calling another poster a liar?

Doesn't that contravene the rules of these boards? Don't you normally throw a hissy fit and demand removal of similar posts when directed at you?

Not very professional Cruisetrail.

I'm not sure you are allowed to post in these threads.

Well lets wait for the buffet movie as perhaps it will show carving stations and other assorted wonderful food choices. I certainly hope the film is clear and not to heavily edited. Raw video is always better than worked over films.

Why is it taking so long. Many travelers, professional and otherwise, get reviews and film up quite fast...what gives?

So confused...the suspence is killing me.

You know I put on my critical (the other definition) thinking cap and wonder who really uses travel professionals much anymore?

Are their really better perks given by TA's and or travel sites? Seems like adding another layer or a middleman.

Last time we had to use a TA was like 1977. So I was just wondering what they offered.

And before anybody asks, I don't feel I am hijacking this thread as the first few sentences mentioned "travel professionals"...and anyway this review, pictures and videos is slow in getting going.

I did read that Carnival no longer allows TA's to offer special perks.

Critical thinking minds want to know.

I cannot comment on any reviewers biases and motivation in posting a review as only the individual reviewer is privy to that knowledge. However, it is apparent MSC is a serious threat to RCL, Carnival and especially NCL. The parent company is very well funded and can bring many resources to the U.S. market if they desire to pursue this strategy. My personal experience is that MSC pricing is far superior to NCL for the same product. I booked a YC2 for an August family cruise for $6,000. A similar 2 bedroom Haven suite on NCL is $10,000. The Yacht Club amenities are also a tad superior to NCL Haven amenities. I am NCL platinum and typically book a suite for our family of four. With a $4,000 price difference, I am willing to try MSC. I presume there are many more passengers like me, and this passenger shift likely causes some serious concern with the large Florida based cruise lines. MSC's entry into the Florida market benefits all cruise consumers by bringing some serious price competition to the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah that is us too. The haven for the same week, was $4000 to $10,000 more depending on the ship.

Even a non haven ship suite was $1000 more than our yc1 cabin.

The yc came in at just slightly higher in cost than an OV on Carnival and on par with the costs of OV's on other major lines.

The only real bargain was HAL's Westerdam, the kids sail free in an OV on her for the same week and thus the OV is $3000 less than the yc1.

Anyway, those I have asked who have sailed both the Haven and YC have said about the same thing. The Haven cabins were bigger and better (obviously talking yc1 and not the yc2 or 3) but the service and amenities were superior in the YC. And they seemed to suggest not by a tad.

I guess its what your looking for in a ship within a ship concepts but after a lot of research we determined the YC sounded better overall. But $4000 - $10,000 more :eek:

Edited by legion3

This is not true.

How many is several?:)

I will post a video tour of the dinner buffet.

About RCI dinner buffet. It's the weakest part of RCI product - thus the closest point to MSC Divina.

Princess buffet and everything dining in general is space years above MSC Divina.

Yes it is true!(several means more then one) I find your comment offensive!:mad:

I don't care about your video, a video can easily be incomplete, I personally saw the buffet every day for 14 days, several times a day, and no 'biased' video from a biased reviewer can change what I saw! My wife and I actually were sitting in the buffet area several times commenting on the choices!

If you want explanations, explain 'space years' above since the Divina is a 'newer' product then Princess, possibly beyond your understanding of 'modern' cruising!

There is an old saying that fits your post, 'anyone who claims expertise rarely has it'!:eek:

I'm not sure you are allowed to post in these threads.

Well lets wait for the buffet movie as perhaps it will show carving stations and other assorted wonderful food choices. I certainly hope the film is clear and not to heavily edited. Raw video is always better than worked over films.

Why is it taking so long. Many travelers, professional and otherwise, get reviews and film up quite fast...what gives?

So confused...the suspence is killing me.

More then likely the OP needs to find them on the internet!:D

However, it is apparent MSC is a serious threat to RCL, Carnival and especially NCL. The parent company is very well funded and can bring many resources to the U.S. market if they desire to pursue this strategy. My personal experience is that MSC pricing is far superior to NCL for the same product. I booked a YC2 for an August family cruise for $6,000. A similar 2 bedroom Haven suite on NCL is $10,000. The Yacht Club amenities are also a tad superior to NCL Haven amenities. I am NCL platinum and typically book a suite for our family of four. With a $4,000 price difference, I am willing to try MSC. I presume there are many more passengers like me, and this passenger shift likely causes some serious concern with the large Florida based cruise lines. MSC's entry into the Florida market benefits all cruise consumers by bringing some serious price competition to the market.

I totally agree, and that's why I think many of the negative reviews are either employees of other cruise lines, or TA's who get huge bene's. pushing cruisers onto certain cruise lines, away from MSC!

I have heard this from several TA's that MSC will give a TA a low price to cruise, but none of the other freebies other lines give like credit/free cruises/etc., of course this could change in the future if MSC continues to Americanize!

Isn't it light years? I cannot find a decent definition of space years. Maybe it is space years but what does that really mean?

I assume Princess must be better in some way in regards to food but without some context it is kind of a hollow statement.

I thought we were suppose to compare ship to ship not cruise line to cruise line? As quality can change from ship to ship flying the same flag.

Gosh...this travel expert reviewing is hard.

Edited by legion3

I think that what we have here are negative social media marketers working for companies that are being hurt by the rise of the MSC product. Its' popularity and great value are such a threat to the industry that there are those who will stop at nothing by downplaying MSC's greatness as the competition threat is so real.

I don't know what others think about travel agents, but I think that they are great for those who do not have access to that new thing that they call the World Wide Web.

I cannot comment on any reviewers biases and motivation in posting a review as only the individual reviewer is privy to that knowledge. However, it is apparent MSC is a serious threat to RCL, Carnival and especially NCL. The parent company is very well funded and can bring many resources to the U.S. market if they desire to pursue this strategy. My personal experience is that MSC pricing is far superior to NCL for the same product. I booked a YC2 for an August family cruise for $6,000. A similar 2 bedroom Haven suite on NCL is $10,000. The Yacht Club amenities are also a tad superior to NCL Haven amenities. I am NCL platinum and typically book a suite for our family of four. With a $4,000 price difference, I am willing to try MSC. I presume there are many more passengers like me, and this passenger shift likely causes some serious concern with the large Florida based cruise lines. MSC's entry into the Florida market benefits all cruise consumers by bringing some serious price competition to the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mister,,I can tell you the passenger shift has begun. We booked the Grand Suite on Adventure Of The Seas for March. After returning from our 3 day trip in the Yacht Club aboard Divina last week, we cancelled our trip with RCCL and booked a YC3 suite for both legs of our b2b in April. Oh yeah,,the best part,,2 weeks aboard Divina saved us over $1,500.00 compared to the one week aboard Royal, add in the Yacht Club amenities, and the savings are even more.:D

Mister,,I can tell you the passenger shift has begun. We booked the Grand Suite on Adventure Of The Seas for March. After returning from our 3 day trip in the Yacht Club aboard Divina last week, we cancelled our trip with RCCL and booked a YC3 suite for both legs of our b2b in April. Oh yeah,,the best part,,2 weeks aboard Divina saved us over $1,500.00 compared to the one week aboard Royal, add in the Yacht Club amenities, and the savings are even more.:D

You are exactly correct! We also chose the Divina for 14 days instead of 7 days on RCL with our Diamond Plus benes. and were proven right!:D

The incredible savings on the Divina vs the competition right now are fact, and you comments prove yourself to be an intelligent vacation shopper! :)

Enjoy your cruise!

I think that what we have here are negative social media marketers working for companies that are being hurt by the rise of the MSC product. Its' popularity and great value are such a threat to the industry that there are those who will stop at nothing by downplaying MSC's greatness as the competition threat is so real.

Oh, please...

Do you think MSC (and other) marketing people don't write "reviews"? :):)

Thanks American. After experiencing Divina first hand, we just felt that dollar for dollar, we received the best value for our money, and that's what is most important to us.

It depends on what each individual consider to be a great value.

It depends on the benchmark for comparisons.

After experiencing YC first hand I can say that my rating of value for money for this class is 2 of 5. Divina regular product - 3 of 5.

YC experience was entertaining - let's put it in these words.:)

Edited by cruisetrail

Oh, please...

Do you think MSC (and other) marketing people don't write "reviews"? :):)

Nah,

I think that the MSC product and value speaks for itself. As an American, I would put my money on flailing, (as in a wounded animal), American TA's afraid of the competition and what the competition has to offer.

Perhaps with MSC's price point and lack of perks, the TA's are intentional steering customers to cruise lines that are more lucrative to the agent.

This is only my assumption for the negative and untruths that are posted concerning MSC.

Edited by thraak

It depends on the benchmrk for comparisons.

After experiencing YC first hand I can say that my rating of value for money for this class is 2 of 5. Divina regular product - 3 of 5.

I will agree with the first part of your statement " It depends on what each individual considers to be a great value", but notice I used the words "OUR" and "US" in my statement, referring to myself and my family. I'm not sure why you felt it necessary to take a reply that was not directed towards you, and use it as a spring board for more of your MSC bashing. Myself and my family loved everything about our experience aboard Divina, so much so, we booked another cruise on her for January today.

Edited by Mikesa1721

It depends on the benchmark for comparisons.

But you didn't actually sail in the Yacht Club...

You didn't actually pay for the Yacht Club membership...

Oh thats right you said you had friends who let you experience it. So you sort of freeloaded and "carpet bagged" in a place you not really suppose to be.

Interesting. It suggests a slightly dishonest person who would take something that they were not entitled too. In our legal system you cannot bring up a defendant's past bad acts unless they were crimes of dishonesty or perjury. And once a defendant is considered dishonest, he always is. Thats fee legal FYI.

So even for free you gave it a 2 out of 5. Wow! You're tough to please.

It was entertaining? Did they catch you and kick you out. Perhaps you had a bad experience with those who had actually paid for the experience. Yeah that's probably it...what a buzzkill. :cool: