Rumor Alert : Another MSC Ship Order Imminent ?

Andy

Hi Everyone,

Thought you might be interested to know that rumors are around (according to Cruise Industry News), that MSC may be ordering another 2 ships in the 152,000 ton range, this time from Fincantieri. This is in addtion to the recent 2 ship order from STX France.

Here's a link to the story : http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11127-msc-to-announce-another-new-ship-order-.html

Hope this is helpful !

Hi Everyone,

Thought you might be interested to know that rumors are around (according to Cruise Industry News), that MSC may be ordering another 2 ships in the 152,000 ton range, this time from Fincantieri. This is in addtion to the recent 2 ship order from STX France.

Here's a link to the story : http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11127-msc-to-announce-another-new-ship-order-.html

Hope this is helpful !

On the Armonia recently, I went to a lecture, ostensibly on the history of MSC, given by a member of the animation team reading from a script. This detail is important as it means that the script must have been MSC-sanctioned. There were precisely six of us in the audience! He said MSC had ordered six new ships, i.e. not the two as per press release, three like this:

mscnewshipclass.jpg

which are fatter in the public decks, taller, shorter and overall larger than the Fantasia class, and three others the same size as the Lirica class but would be "ultra luxurious" and Yacht-Club only.

I assume the same lecture has been given on other repo cruises as a fill-in on a sea day and with a similar attendance judging by the lack of awareness even amongst the mods here..

If i recall correctly three ship builders had been approached by MSC to build prototype ships, STX in France, Fincantieri in Italy and Meyer-Werft in Germany.

If the link Andy added is correct i wonder if they will also announce two ships to be built by Meyer! which may be the smaller ships Tim mentioned despite Meyer`s also building bigger ship for RCI.

Edited by sidari

The ‘Seaside’ prototype presents unique features such as a sea-level promenade that circumnavigates the ship,

Sounds like they listened to Cruisetrail at last .... :)

Certainly look very futuristic.

The ‘Seaside’ prototype presents unique features such as a sea-level promenade that circumnavigates the ship,

If it's "Sea-level" will you need to take Wellies to use on the promenade?:D:D:D

All I will say is WOW - these ships look fantastic.

Like 'a block of flats' fantastic?

I am old. I must stop trying to have a rational conversation. Maybe next year.

Study the graceful, sea-worthy lines of classic ocean liners of the past (google 'ocean liners'). Compare to the tower blocks of modern incarnations of new and proposed cruise ships. I get the impression that if they had a power cut they would just topple over.

To an old yachtsman, the new ships do not look at all sea-worthy. It may take another disaster to prove that point but for the time being they will be legal.

As you will gather, I have no interest in these mega ships for many reasons.

I assume the same lecture has been given on other repo cruises as a fill-in on a sea day and with a similar attendance judging by the lack of awareness even amongst the mods here..

A few points :

1. I wrote this at 2:30 am. I received an email alert on my cell phone, and got out of bed to post - in an effort to bring you breaking news, which btw, is now reality.

2. I do not remotely claim to be an MSC expert, but I thought the information would be interesting for those who enjoy MSC's product.

3. You could be a little kinder, and avoid making uncalled for, and snarky comments. Why knock someone, when they are making an effort to being information to this forum, and help our members ? As I always say, a little kindness goes a long way.

Edited by Host Andy

The certainly won't end up with a very consitent product across their fleet - new builds of similar size with completely different designs, different service concepts between ships (Divina in Europe, but with Americanized service), etc.

A few points :

1. I wrote this at 2:30 am. I received an email alert on my cell phone, and got out of bed to post - in an effort to bring you breaking news, which btw, is now reality.

2. I do not remotely claim to be an MSC expert, but I thought the information would be interesting for those who enjoy MSC's product.

3. You could be a little kinder, and avoid making uncalled for, and snarky comments. Why knock someone, when they are making an effort to being information to this forum, and help our members ? As I always say, a little kindness goes a long way.

Kudos to you for responding to a post rather than deleting it...

Like 'a block of flats' fantastic?

I am old. I must stop trying to have a rational conversation. Maybe next year.

Study the graceful, sea-worthy lines of classic ocean liners of the past (google 'ocean liners'). Compare to the tower blocks of modern incarnations of new and proposed cruise ships. I get the impression that if they had a power cut they would just topple over.

To an old yachtsman, the new ships do not look at all sea-worthy. It may take another disaster to prove that point but for the time being they will be legal.

As you will gather, I have no interest in these mega ships for many reasons.

As an old yachtsman, you are not a naval architect, therefore have no clue about how stable these are. I can tell you as someone training to be a naval architect that these ships will be perfectly stable, as there are ludicrously extensive regulations they have to meet. The correct calculations will have been done long before the steel is even cut. Simply put, stability has nothing to do with the height of the superstructure, but with centres of gravity and other things such as metacentric height.

I must say though, that these ships look very different, quite refreshing compared to what most cruise lines have been putting out recently

Edited by littlesteelo

I'm not sure how I feel about the design - I do agree we lack some modern vessels with traditional looks (Disney is the only one that has tried) but I also feel like it's different, which is always cool.

It reminds me a lot this video (

) from Fincantieri that is a couple years old - I kept thinking the new Carnival ships (that they haven't released anything yet) would be like the one it shows but the MSC renderings remind me of it too (look aft!). Anyways, I see a new pattern coming up (after the to me similar Royal Princess/NCL Breakaway/RCL Quantum/Mein Schiff 3) that include these and Aida Prima (somehow following Oasis)...

I can tell you as someone training to be a naval architect that these ships will be perfectly stable, as there are ludicrously extensive regulations they have to meet. The correct calculations will have been done long before the steel is even cut. Simply put, stability has nothing to do with the height of the superstructure, but with centres of gravity and other things such as metacentric height.

I must say though, that these ships look very different, quite refreshing compared to what most cruise lines have been putting out recently

Hi littlesteelo!

It just caught my attention that you are studying naval architecture - that's great! Where are you studying it? I'm currently a Mechanical Engineering major but am really inclined to do a masters in Naval Engineering!

Hi Everyone,

Hope this is helpful !

Very interesting! Thank you!

A few points :

Thanks host andy for the news just ignore the ignorant.

Hopefully it will shut him up about promenades!:D

The new MSC ships from Fincantieri are actually based on this concept design from the shipyard shown in 2013.

It features a mid-ship engine/funnel placement. Very narrow forward and aft superstructure. A low, wrap around promenade with lifeboats below. Pool area behind the funnel with a dome covered pool ahead, and a large after pool low on the promenade. The MSC ships even have the exact same forward mast design as this model concept.

Fincantieri-Project-Mille-2.jpg

seaside-nuova-nave-msc-accordo-fincantieri.jpg

While not the prettiest design, it's nice to see something different.

Edited by Fairsky84

Hi littlesteelo!

It just caught my attention that you are studying naval architecture - that's great! Where are you studying it? I'm currently a Mechanical Engineering major but am really inclined to do a masters in Naval Engineering!

I'm studying it at Newcastle University :)

Also just adding to the discussion about the design, it would look infinitely better if they just rounded the aft superstructure a bit, keeping it like the concept design rather than just being vertical.

Edited by littlesteelo

The new MSC ships from Fincantieri are actually based on this concept design from the shipyard shown in 2013.

It features a mid-ship engine/funnel placement. Very narrow forward and aft superstructure. A low, wrap around promenade with lifeboats below. Pool area behind the funnel with a dome covered pool ahead, and a large after pool low on the promenade. The MSC ships even have the exact same forward mast design as this model concept.

Yes, I completely agree it's not the prettiest design but it is refreshing to see something different.

How do you know this is based off of the Mille project?

From this angle, it almost looks like a ship version of the Fiat Multipla...

As an old yachtsman, you are not a naval architect, therefore have no clue about how stable these are. I can tell you as someone training to be a naval architect that these ships will be perfectly stable, as there are ludicrously extensive regulations they have to meet. The correct calculations will have been done long before the steel is even cut. Simply put, stability has nothing to do with the height of the superstructure, but with centres of gravity and other things such as metacentric height.

Windage.

There are good reasons why ocean liners evolved into their recognisable shape. There are totally different reasons why cruise liners have evolved into blocks of flats - the lure of squeezing ever more lucrative balconies over and above sea-worthiness.

I am not a naval architect but I have A levels in mechanics and further mechanics and I am an old yachtsman.

I have also designed and built a block of flats. I started by studying the local building regulations and optimised the design in whatever way I could to exploit the regulations. I see the same thing going on with new ship designs. Complying with complex regulations does not make them intrinsically seaworthy. Yes, the centre of gravity can be ballasted to where it needs to be but in 15m seas and a force 12 abeam, I am sure the current regulations would be tested with this type of design.

The Titanic had the regulation number of lifeboats. The Costa Concordia was due to hold their muster drill two days after she sunk, permitted within the regulations. Regulations usually get changed in the wake of a disaster.

I suspect optimisation within and exploitation of the current regulations in these designs. They are adding decks = windage. One day a great storm will come and one of these blocks of flats will be blown over. Only then will questions be asked about 'the regulations'.

Edited by Skipper Tim