Upcoming Greek Islands cruise - what to do?

belugos

Hey folks.

After many years of dreaming this vacation, we are finally going to Greece (mostly) at the end of May. See below our ports of call.

euem_3153792.gif

Any suggestion of must do things? Certain locations (such as Athens) we are already planning a lot of things, but would still appreciate tips from other past cruisers about what to avoid and etc.

MANY thanks in advance.

My general advice is to start by looking at what the cruise lines (yours and others) offer as excursions for each stop. The things they offer are very typical of what many (perhaps most?) cruisers will want to do on a day in port. If you see something you are interested in, then you can research whether it makes sense to do it on your own, with a tour guide, through the ship or otherwise.

I also read, read, read. TripAdvisor.com is a great site in addition to this site for seeing what others have written on destinations.

Mykonos is a great place to just walk around

https://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

In Corfu we went to the palaces. If I had to do it again, I would just tour the city.

https://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/504

Sounds like you have Athens set. We did the usual things.

Thanks folks. Did some reading on Tripadvisor and found interesting things... but still having trouble to find a way to visit Myrto Beach in Kefalonia. Looks like there is no shuttle or tour company going there, so we may have to rent a car or pay 100.00 euro to get a taxi.

If you are in great shape in Kotor climb the ruin stairs but start early. I am 58 and in OK shape and it was the hardest thing I ever did but well worth it.

In Mykonos go to Delos but early since there is no shade. Most ships are in Myknonos for many hours so this will still leave lots of time for the town itself.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In Mykonos, it is easy to walk around the streets and see the shops and little churches. It is easy to walk to see the windmills and the harbor area. Our cruise line had a shuttle from the port to the main town area and it was maybe just a 5 minute drive. As I recall we took the bus to town as there were no sidewalks to get into town and it seemed dangerous to walk on the side of the road. Mykonos was a very beautiful island, In Corfu you can also easily walk around the town. There are two forts and you can walk to the top and have beautiful panoramic views. In Athens I'd suggest sticking to a ship excursion to see the main historical sites. The Plaka area of Athens is a neat part of town (small shops and eateries).

Sent from my iPad using Forums