Limo companies - any honest ones?

Bruin Steve

So, I am looking for some sort of transportation from home to LAX and back for our trip...

In the past, we've usually used Roadrunner Shuttle...$106 plus tip--so around $122 for a round trip...

But, last time, they sort of messed up in picking us up at LAX...an excruciating hour and a half experience...So my wife said "let's find someone else"...

I don't want to go with another shuttle service as, from my experience, they can be just as bad...or worse (since we are at the edge of Roadrunner's normal service are, we've always been the last picked up and first dropped off)...

Anyway, I figured that, if I'm willing to pay $122 for a shuttle, I should be willing to pay a little bit more for a private car or towncar...

I've seen ads and mailings for limo companies CLAIMING to offer Calabasas to LAX for $65...

I figured, okay, $65 times two plus a 20% tip should come to around $156...and I am willing to pay that...

I've now contacted two of those...

First company I contacted came back with a "quote" of just under $200...

Second one came up with $215 and change...unless I want them to meet me at baggage claim, in which case it's $238...and these guys are all over the internet (under several different names, but same phone number) with ads that say "Starting at $49"...When you get to the website, it ups the price by distance with "Up to 30 miles" at $65...(we live exactly 30 miles from LAX).

I get so many mailings from Limo companies promising cheap rates that I'm weondering if they all aren't "bait and switch"...

How much does it cost to drive to the airport and park?

And not have to wait for the car, etc.

Problem is we are gone for 19 days on an extended Viking River Cruises package to China...

19 days times $15 per day (and rates do vary depending on which lot you use...most require some form of shuttle to and from the terminal) equals $285 right there, not to mention three gallons of gas for the 60 mile round trip plus wear and tear and leaving your car exposed in a lot somewhere...plus, you get to deal with LA traffic...and leave extra time to take the parking shuttle rather than just being dropped at the gate...

The Van Nuys flyaway bus sounds like an idea until you realize that 19 days of parking at Van Nuys is still $76 at $4 per day...plus $32 for two for the bus equals $108...plus any tip to the bus driver.. Plus the cost of gas to Van Nuys...which edges us very close to the shuttle price of $122 including tip. But our car gets to spend the 19 days safely in the garage at home...and direct door-to-door service...

If there really was this imaginary $65 each way town car, I'd probably take it...$156 rather than $122, a $34 premium is well worth it to be in a private car rather than a shared shuttle...but it doesn't appear any of those special offers really exist...

By the way, I went back and looked at those limo company responses...the one for $199 did offer a "pay now and get $10 off" special--but it did NOT include the suggested 20% tip??? so let's call that one $230 round trip as well!

I booked Synergy Limousine in March 2013 to get our family of five from San Pedro to LAX after a Mexican Riviera cruise. They were at the pier at the time promised, charged what was quoted and the driver was friendly and pleasant. I would definately use them again.

Steve, please let us know what your final solution is. I live a few miles west of you and I have had the same problem. My favorite was I could book a town car (or even a limo) BUT if I wanted to take my luggage with me - well, then I would have to book a second car at the same price. I asked the 12 YO that was helping me - "Don't you think paying over $100 each way just for my luggage is a bit much?"... Her response - "no". Okaaay. I did ask how many people actually go to LAX without luggage.

Another suggestion: Get family, friend, or neighbor to drive you to the airport and/or pick you up. Use your own vehicle so their cost is the time they spend. If the departure or return time is just too inconvenient, I use a shuttle service.

It helps that I own a pickup, and I've let several friends use it while I'm gone. Other "payment" has been returning the favor in kind or in other ways, and college-age friends have more time than money and are very happy with $100 or $150.

I have had good success with finding cheaper off-site airport parking than $15 near LAX at http://www.cheapairportparking.org/lax

The last two times I used this, I was able to get parking for $8 and $9 a day, both times in secure lots (yes, open air, but gated and with a 24/attendant). One was at the Fox rental car site right next to the 405. I had great shuttle service both from my car to the terminal and back both times, and plan to use this same method for my next flight out of LAX later this year.

Another suggestion: Get family, friend, or neighbor to drive you to the airport and/or pick you up. Use your own vehicle so their cost is the time they spend. If the departure or return time is just too inconvenient, I use a shuttle service.

It helps that I own a pickup, and I've let several friends use it while I'm gone. Other "payment" has been returning the favor in kind or in other ways, and college-age friends have more time than money and are very happy with $100 or $150.

Of course, it's not that easy finding friends willing to drive an hour in each direction through LA traffic...and, more importantly, there is a major risk involved in allowing someone unrestricted use of your car for 19 days...Don't you watch Judge Judy or People's Court?

Did you price out two one-way car rentals?

Just leaving no stone unturned.

Of course, that can be a major hassle...and you've got to deal with the whole rental car check in/rental car return/shuttle back to the terminal thing...

I have had good success with finding cheaper off-site airport parking than $15 near LAX at http://www.cheapairportparking.org/lax

The last two times I used this, I was able to get parking for $8 and $9 a day, both times in secure lots (yes, open air, but gated and with a 24/attendant). One was at the Fox rental car site right next to the 405. I had great shuttle service both from my car to the terminal and back both times, and plan to use this same method for my next flight out of LAX later this year.

Even at $8, parking for a 19 day trip comes out to $152...more than the shuttle...and you're leaving your car exposed in a lot somewhere...I actually parked in that Fox lot once--for a shorter trip--and the time wasted waiting for their shuttle wasn't great either...

Steve, please let us know what your final solution is. I live a few miles west of you and I have had the same problem.

It looks like our solution will be to just go back to Roadrunner Shuttle and hope for the best...The price of $116 (yeah, looks like it just went up $5 each way) plus a 15% tip round trip is unbeatable. I'll just keep my fingers crossed they are a little more reliable with a prompt pick-up this time. At least it gets us "door-to-door" with no extra time or effort to get parking lot shuttles and we don't have to drive ourselves. I was willing to spend up to another $50 more for a non-shared situation...but those ads with the "$65 to LAX" headlines appear to just be a ruse...C'est la vie!

Edited by Bruin Steve

It's not just the honesty issue (the bait and switch you found), but the reliability issue, which you know that I totally understand after our experience a few years ago.

One of the suggestions (having someone drive you) reminds me of one CCer's plea a few years ago on this very board. He was pleading for someone local to pick up him and his son up from LAX and take to the port. Besides his insistence that he can only fly in the day of the cruise, he also couldn't get the reason why only one person, who didn't know him, was willing to pick him up (I think that's how they got to the port). Despite telling him that there were liability concerns and inconvenience factors (two aspects that many would be willing to be fine with if we're talking about a good friend or a family member), he seemed to think we locals weren't being too nice.

My experience is that even friends and family can be lackadaisical when it comes to acting as transport to airports, train stations, etc. Just getting my parents to get dressed on time for my wedding was a royal pain. Not kidding about that.:(

Of course, it's not that easy finding friends willing to drive an hour in each direction through LA traffic...and, more importantly, there is a major risk involved in allowing someone unrestricted use of your car for 19 days...Don't you watch Judge Judy or People's Court?

LOL, a person willing to do it for you is a really great friend by default ! My drive time to LAX is 1h10 each direction and I have no problem getting friends to help if it's not 4am or they have other commitments.

Agree the person has to be responsible and insured..."son's friend's brother" doesn't fly unless I really know the kid and parents. And you're right there's potential liability (and that's even greater when you drive your own car) !

Sometimes I get a ride in their vehicle...they're headed that way anyway or prefer to drive their own car for the liability/responsibility reasons you commented to.

Edited by kenish

One of the suggestions (having someone drive you) reminds me of one CCer's plea a few years ago on this very board. He was pleading for someone local to pick up him and his son up from LAX and take to the port. Besides his insistence that he can only fly in the day of the cruise' date=' he also couldn't get the reason why only one person, who didn't know him, was willing to pick him up (I think that's how they got to the port). Despite telling him that there were liability concerns and inconvenience factors (two aspects that many would be willing to be fine with if we're talking about a good friend or a family member), he seemed to think we locals weren't being too nice.

My experience is that even friends and family can be lackadaisical when it comes to acting as transport to airports, train stations, etc. Just getting my parents to get dressed on time for my wedding was a royal pain. Not kidding about that.:([/quote']

I remember that one! And yes, a lot of friends are willing to be "limo driver" but fewer can be relied on. I've never had to wait more than 10 minutes, bless 'em, and then it was a straight shot home.

Try Karmel Shuttle. They picked us up in Burbank & took us to the pier & back. We used them in April for our 15 day cruise. Not sure they go to Calabassas. You can give them a call # is 888-9957433. They have a few different size cars or vans. We used them for a non-shared ride.

Have you asked your neighbors who they use???? You might have to spend more to get reliability. I know someone from Filmore that said Roadrunner is a nightmare.

Grace

Try Karmel Shuttle. They picked us up in Burbank & took us to the pier & back. We used them in April for our 15 day cruise. Not sure they go to Calabassas. You can give them a call # is 888-9957433. They have a few different size cars or vans. We used them for a non-shared ride.

Have you asked your neighbors who they use???? You might have to spend more to get reliability. I know someone from Filmore that said Roadrunner is a nightmare.

Grace

Karmel doesn't serve Calabasas...

From Filmore, just about any shared shuttle would be a nightmare...they probably do a complete tour of Ventura County on their way home from the airport...

For us, there is one distinct advantage in using Roadrunner: Their traditional service area is from Santa Barbara to Calabasas...so, we are always the closest pick-up or drop-off from the airport (either LAX or Burbank).

Bruin Steve I mentioned execucar in an earlier post the other day. Have you considered them?

Keith

I considered them...

For a sedan, $100 to LAX, $105 home...plus tip of course, so approximately $226 RT...There is an AAA discount that would take $10 off...so, $216...

They also offer "Business Express" service...$79 each way, no meet and greet, doesn't look like the AAA discount applies, so, with a 20% tip, figure $190 round trip.

It is my understanding that the "business express" service is a single party (not shared) ride in a standard (non-luxury) sedan with no "meet and greet". At $190 RT, it's not a bad price...and I only care about getting to and from the airport so the type of vehicle doesn't matter much...

Since my transportation with Roadrunner would come to around $132 including the tip and this is $190, the question is whether this would be worth $58 more...

One would expect that, with no other pick-ups to make on their way to us, there is a chance they would be more prompt (Of course, on the way TO the airport, this doesn't matter much as all these services schedule a pick-up time far more than ample for arrival at LAX)...So, the real key is efficiency upon arrival at LAX AFTER the trip...Without "meet & greet", we'll still have to call the service and wait by the curb with luggage...so, we are still at their (and LAX traffic's) whim as to how fast they get a car there...We would save on not having to wait for the shared van to fill up...Question is "Is that worth $58?"...

For what it's worth, we use the Execucar "business express" round trip LGB / Crowne Plaza whenever sailing out of San Pedro. Our experience is that it is a single party service in a mini-van. Service is always prompt and the drivers are professional. It is also our experience that there is no discount for booking round trip.

If Roadrunner provides you with acceptable service to LAX and another service is better for you from LAX, perhaps you can mix it up while still controlling your overall cost.

Lax to San Pedro highly recommend "Coolride" and in Seattle "Already There Town Car". If you want to relax and go in style with professional service it is worth paying for. Seadeck2

The issue isn't getting from LAX to the port. Los Angeles is a sprawling city so the issue is getting from a suburb that is 45 miles from LAX. Finding someone to do that at a reasonable price is difficult. You also can't count the 45 miles as a time chart. It often takes me an hour to 1-1/2 hours depending on traffic.