White Pass Railroad - are train cars assigned

tsg

This is our second cruise to Alaska and this time we will be traveling with another couple who are going to Alaska for the first time. We really enjoyed the White Pass railroad last time and want to do it again. I can't remember though whether we had an assigned cars or seats. We were going to each book our tickets separately so we can each pay for our tickets, but I want to make sure we end up together for the trip.

Is it first come/first serve for seating or do we need one person to buy all of our tickets to make sure we are together for the trip? If we decide to book through the cruiseline, is there some way to let them know we want to travel together on the excursion?

Thanks!

From my recollection, the cars are assigned by cruise ship or tour company. It is likely you can get on the same car as long as you book the same time and same method (cruise ship excursion).

We used Chilkoot (bus up train down) and we were directed to a certain train car by our amazing guide/driver at the end of our bus portion..worked out without any problem...very organized.

Does anyone know how much the Chilkoot White Rail Pass train and bus tour is? I can't email them bc their email doesn't work.

We are signed up for the White Pass Summit Rail and Bus Excursion in June through Chilkoot and we paid $126.00 per person. We are doing the train up and bus down. I hope this helps you out. I can't wait!!

Does anyone know how much the Chilkoot White Rail Pass train and bus tour is? I can't email them bc their email doesn't work.

We are signed up for the White Pass Summit Rail and Bus Excursion in June through Chilkoot and we paid $126.00 per person. We are doing the train up and bus down. I hope this helps you out. I can't wait!!

Yes this is exactly what we paid last May 2013..but we opted for the early bus up and train down...so glad we did this option...as the afternoon train had problems and was late returning back down to Skagway...and yes the ship did wait since there were ship booked excursioner's on board along with those who booked privately.

Yes this is exactly what we paid last May 2013..but we opted for the early bus up and train down...so glad we did this option...as the afternoon train had problems and was late returning back down to Skagway...and yes the ship did wait since there were ship booked excursioner's on board along with those who booked privately.

Wow. That would be horrible with the train breaking down and miss the ship!! We too signed up for the early trip. Now I am really glad we did!! Thanks for sharing that...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks. Looks like we will need for one of us to buy all four tickets to make sure we are all in the same train car. We were just trying to keep costs separate because it was a hassle when we tried to settle up after our last vacation together.

As long as you both buy through the same vendor, you can each pay separately and still be in the same train car. It won't work though if one of you buys through Chilkoot and one through the cruise line.

We did the train up and the bus back last year. While I would have enjoyed the extra half hour of sleep, I'm glad we did it that way. It was raining on the way up, but the fog rolled in and was really heavy on our way down. We at least got pictures from the train even in the rain. Not sure how many pictures the passengers got in the fog.

I highly recommend Chilkoot Charters. Their price includes the train ticket (as does the cruise line I'm sure). The other operator (can't remember the name, but they also come highly recommended here on CC) looks like they have a low price, but you have to purchase your train ticket separately (well at least last year you did). A private excursion is really the way you want to go here. They have much smaller buses (25 people maybe) and stop at all the places the cruise buses stop, but they can also stop in other places too that the big buses can't get to. For instance, our driver stopped at a lake so we could get out and stretch our legs and relieve our bladders at an outhouse (nasty thing, but welcome relief if you are desperate). The lake was just beautiful. As we got to the "Welcome to the Yukon" sign, there was a cruise bus there so we decided to skip that stop at the time and catch it on the way back. Good thing we did too - there was no one there on the way back and all of us were able to get all our pictures taken at the sign before the next tour bus drove up. Our bus driver even dropped some of us off in downtown Skagway to do shopping and then dropped the rest of us off at our respective piers. I would use Chilkoot again in a heartbeat.

Chilkoot Charters Prices

White Pass Summit Rail & Bus Excursion (lunch is not included with this excursion)

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM & 12:00PM (Train first)

Departure: 8:30AM & 1:00PM (Bus first) - 1:00PM

Cost: $126.00 Adult $76.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser & return to Skagway

Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion (lunch included)

Duration: 7.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM (Depart Skagway by train)

Departure: 8:30AM (Depart Skagway by bus)

Cost: $179.00 Adult $119.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch Included: BBQ chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, dinner roll, cake doughnuts, coffee, tea, water

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum and Husky Puppy Camp also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train – 1 ¾ hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion With 15 Minute Dogcart Ride (lunch included)

Duration: 7.5 Hours

Departure: 7:30AM (Depart Skagway by train)

Departure: 8:30AM (Depart Skagway by bus)

Cost: $211.00 Adult $151.00 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch Included: BBQ chicken, baked potato, coleslaw, dinner roll, cake doughnuts, coffee, tea, water

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum, Husky Puppy Camp and the 15-minute dogcart ride also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Fraser by train – 1 ¾ hours on train to Fraser, Fraser to Carcross & Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

Bennett Scenic Journey (lunch included)

Duration: 8 Hours (May 28-Sept 5, 2014 Tues. thru Sat. only)

For the 2014 season the Bennett Scenic Journey operates as follows:

Northbound train on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays

Southbound train on Tuesdays and Fridays

Departure: 7:30AM for the Northbound train

Departure: 8:30AM for the Southbound train

Cost: $229.00 Adult $114.50 Child (12 & Under)

Lunch: Mulligan stew, homemade bread, coleslaw, apple pie. Lunch is at Lake Bennett Train Depot dining hall. Parks Canada Interpretive Displays and self-guided walking tour also included

Itinerary: 2 ¾ hours on train to White Pass Summit, Fraser & Lake Bennett – 1 ¼ hours for lunch and layover at Lake Bennett– 1 ½ hour by train to Carcross – Carcross to Emerald Lake and return to Skagway by bus

White Pass Summit Excursion (By bus only)

Duration: 2.5 Hours

Departure: 8:30AM

Cost: $46.00 Adult $35.00 Child (12 & Under)

Itinerary: Skagway to White Pass Summit with photo stops all along the way, fully narrated and entertaining, gold rush history with amusing Alaska stories

Discover the Yukon Adventure (By bus only)

Duration: 6.5 Hours

Cost: $99.00 Adult $67.00 Child (12 & Under)

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum and Husky Puppy Camp also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Carcross/Emerald Lake and return to

Skagway by bus

Discover the Yukon Adventure with 15-Minute Dogcart Ride (By bus only)

Duration: 6.5 Hours

Cost: $130.00 Adults $97.00 Child (12 & Under)

Admission to the Yukon Wildlife Museum, Husky Puppy Camp and the 15-minute dogcart ride also included

Itinerary: Skagway/White Pass Summit/Carcross/Emerald Lake and return to

Skagway by bus

Edited by Lisichka

As long as you both buy through the same vendor, you can each pay separately and still be in the same train car. It won't work though if one of you buys through Chilkoot and one through the cruise line.

If we buy through the cruiseline, then we were going to buy online in advance of our cruise. I imagine the cruise line has many cars reserved so if we aren't booked together it seems that we can't be sure to be assigned to the same car.

I see Chilkoot gets good reviews here, but personally I'm turned off by places that make you call for prices rather than having them readily available on the website.

If we buy through the cruiseline, then we were going to buy online in advance of our cruise. I imagine the cruise line has many cars reserved so if we aren't booked together it seems that we can't be sure to be assigned to the same car.

I see Chilkoot gets good reviews here, but personally I'm turned off by places that make you call for prices rather than having them readily available on the website.

I didn't have to "call" Chilkoot Charters...I just sent them an email and they responded back with their options and prices based on the time of year I was going to be in port (also their prices haven't changed from last year to this)...Then I easily booked online and was sent my confirmation # immediately which was also my ticket with instructions on where to meet them etc.....This way of booking most Alaska private excursions (or at least the ones I've booked) is the way it's done...and should give you no worries.

Edited by Ashland

I didn't have to "call" Chilkoot Charters...I just sent them an email and they responded back with their options and prices based on the time of year I was going to be in port (also their prices haven't changed from last year to this)...Then I easily booked online and was sent my confirmation # immediately which was also my ticket with instructions on where to meet them etc.....This way of booking most Alaska private excursions (or at least the ones I've booked) is the way it's done...and should give you no worries.

Does the train have bathrooms? Thanks

You can email Chilkoot for prices. That's what I did last year and I had prices within a couple days. The price was about the same as it was if we had booked through the cruise line, but having booked private vendors a lot, I knew that we would get a much more personal tour than that through the cruise line - 20-25 people versus 50-60 people? Yep pretty much guaranteed to get a more personable experience. But you have to do what's best for you and your family.