One way or roundtrip

woldridge

We are flying from RSW to Singapore March 4 or 5, 2015 to do a B2B2B cruise ending in Rome and then flying home to RSW on April 21 or 22. It is still a couple days too early to do the last leg, but I am finding minimal flights and, using Choice Air, a lesser cost to book as individual flights. I am sure there are more options out there, but I do not know where to look. Any advice?

Barb

Both dates are searchable now on ITA Matrix. Using the multi-city option, I'm finding $1,878 on United - RSW-ORD-HKG-SIN going, FCO-EWR-RSW return.

Of course, this is all in Economy. This is the type of trip I'd really be wanting to do in Business, so if I were you I'd be looking at my FF mile-earning possibilities - credit card bonuses, shopping, etc.

Both dates are searchable now on ITA Matrix. Using the multi-city option, I'm finding $1,878 on United - RSW-ORD-HKG-SIN going, FCO-EWR-RSW return.

Of course, this is all in Economy. This is the type of trip I'd really be wanting to do in Business, so if I were you I'd be looking at my FF mile-earning possibilities - credit card bonuses, shopping, etc.

Thanks, I was searching on Delta and the site told me I had 2 more day before I could do the return. I agree, Business class is the way to go on this crazy long flight.

Barb

If you are willing to go, in order of increasing distance, MIA, TPA, MCO... you'll find man more options. I'd even wager that at least 4 of them from MIA will be one-stop.

Good idea. We are going to Rome this fall and flying out of MIA in order to get a non-stop.

Barb

Good idea. We are going to Rome this fall and flying out of MIA in order to get a non-stop.

Barb

If you're frequent long distance travelers, you might want to investigate round-the-world tickets. To make them cost-effective, you'd need to do a fair amount of travel annually, possibly including travel within North America/Caribbean/Central America, and you need to do a bit of advance planning (which it seems you're able to do.)

For example, if, during your trip to Europe this autumn, you did a quick diversion to Egypt, Israel or Jordan, you could buy a 16-segment business class RTW ticket for around $6000. Six of those flights could be within North America (first class if business isn't offered) so when you're not cruising in Asia or Europe, you could be flying to, say, Alaska, or Vancouver, or Costa Rica - many options.

I wrote up a lengthy intro piece to RTW tickets on TripAdvisor, here. Might be of interest.

We are flying from RSW to Singapore March 4 or 5, 2015 to do a B2B2B cruise ending in Rome and then flying home to RSW on April 21 or 22. It is still a couple days too early to do the last leg, but I am finding minimal flights and, using Choice Air, a lesser cost to book as individual flights. I am sure there are more options out there, but I do not know where to look. Any advice?

Barb

Barb,

We are on the Singapore to Dubai, Celebrity Century cruise as well (not Dubai to Rome).

I just purchased our tickets from Air France for our trip. Cost $1757 each. this includes a one night layover in CDG Paris airport. We fly from JAX, Fla.

I have been checking ticket prices for a few months, of course until recently could not actually purchase the tickets, since the trip was more than 330 days away.

Even after I was able to buy the tickets, I checked every day for a while and with way different results. Delta wanted $3000 per person. Emirates Air would sometimes have a good deal, sometimes not.

I know you will be flying back from Rome instead of Dubai, but I actually checked the cost of flying back from Rome, as you would do, with the option of booking the second cruise. Amazing, but the air ticket prices were never any cheaper.

Good luck, see you on the cruise.

We are staying at ROYAL PLAZA ON SCOTTS. Hotel in Singapore, pre-cruise.

Barb,

We are on the Singapore to Dubai, Celebrity Century cruise as well (not Dubai to Rome).

I just purchased our tickets from Air France for our trip. Cost $1757 each. this includes a one night layover in CDG Paris airport. We fly from JAX, Fla.

I have been checking ticket prices for a few months, of course until recently could not actually purchase the tickets, since the trip was more than 330 days away.

Even after I was able to buy the tickets, I checked every day for a while and with way different results. Delta wanted $3000 per person. Emirates Air would sometimes have a good deal, sometimes not.

I know you will be flying back from Rome instead of Dubai, but I actually checked the cost of flying back from Rome, as you would do, with the option of booking the second cruise. Amazing, but the air ticket prices were never any cheaper.

Good luck, see you on the cruise.

We are staying at ROYAL PLAZA ON SCOTTS. Hotel in Singapore, pre-cruise.

Lucky you that you have your ticket. I am still researching. I did look at flying out of Miami last night and that did give us a lot more options. However JAX would be a stretch for us! :) I am also going to look at Tampa today. When you say you have an overnight in Paris but that is included in the price, are you saying the airlines is putting you up, or that you just added it into the cost of the trip?

I am also looking for a configuration of seats that have 2 and not three. If I have to fly economy, at least one of us is not in a middle seat. That also seems to be an issue flying from RSW.

Ah, another day of research!

Barb

Lucky you that you have your ticket. I am still researching. I did look at flying out of Miami last night and that did give us a lot more options. However JAX would be a stretch for us! :) I am also going to look at Tampa today. When you say you have an overnight in Paris but that is included in the price, are you saying the airlines is putting you up, or that you just added it into the cost of the trip?

I am also looking for a configuration of seats that have 2 and not three. If I have to fly economy, at least one of us is not in a middle seat. That also seems to be an issue flying from RSW.

Ah, another day of research!

Barb

Barb,

Our overnight in Paris is not on the airline. We just planned the trip that way. I found a good deal on a hotel in Terminal 3 of CDG airport for $130 per night. It is the Ibis Paris CDG Airport. We take the easy internal train from Terminal 2E to 3, not leaving the airport. We have one overnight to recover from our flight and not suffer immediately a 12 hour flight to Singapore.

The Boeing 767 aircraft has a seat configuration of 2-4-2 which we like as well, but for the long haul flights like Paris to Singapore or Atlanta to Tokyo, the 777 is what you will get. It has the 3-3-3 configuration. Still, if you book early, there are a few seats on a 777 have are just two, side by side.

Check out seatguru

Barb,

Our overnight in Paris is not on the airline. We just planned the trip that way. I found a good deal on a hotel in Terminal 3 of CDG airport for $130 per night. It is the Ibis Paris CDG Airport. We take the easy internal train from Terminal 2E to 3, not leaving the airport. We have one overnight to recover from our flight and not suffer immediately a 12 hour flight to Singapore.

The Boeing 767 aircraft has a seat configuration of 2-4-2 which we like as well, but for the long haul flights like Paris to Singapore or Atlanta to Tokyo, the 777 is what you will get. It has the 3-3-3 configuration. Still, if you book early, there are a few seats on a 777 have are just two, side by side.

Check out seatguru

Thanks. I also checked out the hotel where you are in staying in Singapore. It has the best rate that I have seen so far. If I can get my flights booked, I may also stay there.

I like your idea of breaking up the flighst. It is a long trip from Florida to Singapore! Makes the Rome to Florida look like a piece of cake!

Barb