Drink Prices/Package - FACTS

Just got off Allure, you are correct OP is not ( unless prices differ for each ship)

Prices for drinks on European sailings are $2 higher as they include gratuities and the extra tax that is charged when sailing in and around Spain - hope that helps clear that up :-)

...We're booked for Adventure on the Seas for March - and it's only our 2nd cruise. Last time, On Carnival - we got the drink package and were satisfied with service everywhere except the MDR - we rarely saw the bar staff and therefore only enjoyed a glass of wine on maybe 3 of the 7 nights. There were only 2 bar staff in the entire dining room, so my anticipated 2-3 glasses of wine with dinner NEVER happened, so we didn't get our money's worth.

OP here.

We found that the bar service was a little poor in the MDR. We only ever had (got) two glasses of wine and the service was slow. It may be quicker if you have the bottled wine package or PAYG with bottles.

We had no problems in any other bar having a package.

Gx

OMG, these drinks packages are so confusing!!!

We sail on the Allure in September and do drink quite a lot. My husband drinks beer and then will have a wine later on and then probably a gin & tonic. I will drink soft drinks during the day and will then have cocktails in the evening. We tend to also have the after dinner shots.

Am I right in thinking the only difference between the premium and ultimate package is with the ultimate package you get the speciality coffee and fresh OJ? Are the price limits for both the ultimate and premium package the same or do you get more allowance with the ultimate.

We will definitely be getting one of the drinks packages but don't want to pay more than we need to!!

Thanks for your help.

Kaz xx

OMG, these drinks packages are so confusing!!!

We sail on the Allure in September and do drink quite a lot. My husband drinks beer and then will have a wine later on and then probably a gin & tonic. I will drink soft drinks during the day and will then have cocktails in the evening. We tend to also have the after dinner shots.

Am I right in thinking the only difference between the premium and ultimate package is with the ultimate package you get the speciality coffee and fresh OJ? Are the price limits for both the ultimate and premium package the same or do you get more allowance with the ultimate.

We will definitely be getting one of the drinks packages but don't want to pay more than we need to!!

Thanks for your help.

Kaz xx

You are almost correct, the only differences between the premium and ultimate packages is specialty coffee, fresh squeezed OJ, and bottled sparkling water. The dollar limits on wine and cocktails are identical.

You are almost correct, the only differences between the premium and ultimate packages is specialty coffee, fresh squeezed OJ, and bottled sparkling water. The dollar limits on wine and cocktails are identical.

Fab, thanks for that, we will opt for the premium then as we aren't fussed about the coffee, OJ or sparkling water!!

Can't wait :)

Edited by tayworth83

Do you have to purchase the package/s before you arrive on the ship to receive a discount or can it be done the first day of cruising?

The price on adventure was the same online as it was onboard. If you buy onboard then it goes onto your seapass account (good it you have some OBC)

You can buy it on any day as long as it is for atleast 3 days, I think, or is it 4 days? The package lasts from day of purchase until end of cruise. ie you can buy it on Day 4 of a 10 day cruise.

You cannot buy it for days 1,2,3,4 the revert to PAYG for the remainder of the cruise.

We found the premium package ($55pppd) great value. See post No1.

Hope that helps.

Grant x

The price on adventure was the same online as it was onboard. If you buy onboard then it goes onto your seapass account (good it you have some OBC)

You can buy it on any day as long as it is for atleast 3 days, I think, or is it 4 days? The package lasts from day of purchase until end of cruise. ie you can buy it on Day 4 of a 10 day cruise.

You cannot buy it for days 1,2,3,4 the revert to PAYG for the remainder of the cruise.

We found the premium package ($55pppd) great value. See post No1.

Hope that helps.

Grant x

thanks,

going to wait til we board, my wife and daughter will probably get either the Soda package or Replenish package. I will probably get the 5 bottles of wine for dinner package. I am concern that if I get a beer package I will be drinking too much and adding too much weight. I usually get about 6 beers all trip as my younger days are behind me!

The bar prices for European departing cruises are around 2 dollars more than departures from the US. I know this for sure, as on our recent Norway cruise my elderly mother in law asked if she could have a champagne bar menu as a souvenir, she was given an old one from the previous American crossing and yes, the prices were all a couple of dollars less. So the OP is right!

I'm getting conflicting statements about buying a package once you are on board.

We're taking our first cruise in a few weeks and I'd like to wait a while before deciding whether to get a package. I have no idea how much we'll drink until we do it. It's a 12 day cruise so the package for two will be quite expensive and there are a lot of port days when we won't drink as much. I thought I'd pay into obc an equivalent amount to 3 or 4 days package and see of we spent more or less before deciding.

On the RCI website it looks as if you can buy the package after a few days for the remainder of the cruise and pay pro-rata but when I enquirer about this I received an email from them saying that you must pay for the whole cruise, not pro-rata. I emailed back, explaining that on the website it stated you could buy it as long as there were at least 4 days left, and it stated pro-rata, but I haven't had a reply.

Does anyone know what the correct situation is please?

If you do have to pay for the whole cruise, even if you buy later, do you get credited with what you have already spent?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've now heard back from Customer Service. This was their response.

I am sorry for the information, you will need to purchase the drink package

at least 4 days before the cruise finishes, but you will be charged for the

full length of your holiday. Despite the day you book it.

This doesn't make sense to me. I think they are mis-interpreting what the regulations are. If you have to pay for the whole cruise, I don't see any reason to specify that you need to purchase it at least 4 days before the end ...

Logically, I think it means the whole of the REMAINDER of the cruise, but maybe it isn't logical. I've emailed them again asking them to clarify.

Also, I asked if it DOES mean the whole of the cruise, will we still have to pay for any eligible drinks purchased prior to buying the package?

I'm not very impressed with the level of response I am getting. I wonder which country their Customer Support is based in? I get the feeling maybe they are not native English speakers.

At the moment I think I'll buy a package for my husband, as he'll probably happily drink his way through enough beers to justify it :). For me, I'll pre-pay a certain amount into obc and monitor what I drink. Then, if I can buy pro-rata for the latter part of the cruise and I think it's worth it, I'll do so.

Otherwise I'll just continue to pay as I go.

When I get a reply from RCI I'll let you know but they are taking a few days to get back to me each time.

Edited by cairokid

I've now heard back from Customer Service. This was their response.

I am sorry for the information, you will need to purchase the drink package

at least 4 days before the cruise finishes, but you will be charged for the

full length of your holiday. Despite the day you book it.

This doesn't make sense to me. ...

You are correct, it does not make sense. They gave you incorrect information. They do in fact prorate the unlimited drink packages.

so I guess I need to decide before I board if I want the package.

does anyone know if the package that includes beer/wine/ frozen drinks (non alcohol) include coffee????

You would need the Ultimate package ($65/day) to get specialty coffee in addition to alcoholic drinks.

I've no idea if you could do this (Royal's computers would likely explode), but if you don't want alcoholic mixed drinks, you could get the Replenish package and the Select package. That would cost $60 /day.

Edited by clarea

thinking replenish for my 12 year old. select for me and premium for hubby. DD will not want a sip of soda so I save there.

now to decide to book early or on the boat???

No difference in price, why not wait until you board. You may want to skip a day or two at the beginning, and you can't do that if you book early.

Edited by clarea

Good call bob. However, didn't someone post that packages are not prorated?

Yes, they were relating what a Royal Caribbean phone rep told them, which was wrong. Check out the web page:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=336&faqSubjectName=Food+%26+Beverage&faqId=5804

You might want to print this and take it with you onboard, just in case.

Edited by clarea

My parents are regular cruise goers and have suggested that we pay as we go for drinks

The same advice I received from mine who go at least once a year. My head is going crazy though trying to figure out which way to go with all of this. Not an easy decision!

With the DUI laws so stiff in Texas, cruise ships are the only place we drink publically. In addition to the usual penalties, there's a stiff four figure fine when you renew the license. I think it's $3,000 for the first offense, and it goes up with each additional offense. At home we don't order drinks in restaurants.

Doctors always assume their patients drink too much. During an annual physical, the doctor asked when my last drink was. And I was trying to figure out which month it was. He smugly said, "if you have to think . . . "

If you're going to drink a days worth of calories, stay off the balconies.

One last note, I read a Voyager review around the time of my first Voyager cruise where a couple got cut off at two bars, ordered more alcohol though room service (which they received), then got kicked off the ship at the first port.

I like the drink package for the worry free ordering , the ability to try something new with out the concern that 1/2 way drank I realize I not a fan ,also the speciality coffee and bailey in the morning in great , I'm not worried about breaking even , I'm sure they come out ahead ,but hey I'm on holidays , live it up ! ,plus bottled water for bedtime ....l

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was on the same cruise as the OP. I was also on the same drinks package. I have also put a post on which makes interesting reading. If you like your drinks you can not go wrong with a drinks package.

Ian