lunch in Carcross??

dfam4

This is a bit of downtown Carcross now, with the Visitor Center on the left, and Caribou Crossing Coffee, one of the 7 new shops.

Murray, I remember seeing those two new building last year, I didn’t go in. I walked over to burn ship and looked around over there.

I think the best lunch we had at Carcross was at the “Cinnamon Cache” a few years back, it’s too bad she couldn’t find anyone to keep it going and had to close it.

This is the only photo I took of Carcross from the bus earlier this month during our visit to Carcross. No one on our bus wanted to get off because nothing was open yet. We were on the first cruise of the season 5-3-2014 to 5-10-3-30-2014.

My mom and I did enjoy the lunch at Caribou Crossing. I posted a photo of it as well. I am sorry they are just thumbnails. I need to post them out on the web somewhere so that people can see them larger. I hope to do a review in the near future and will have that done by then.

21030055.jpg.b998deebb79356a51d6c6ec4b3998ee9.jpg

21030083.jpg.36a02cabfa7ffa22ea9222c43bb6c6b7.jpg

Edited by plattwear

No, you are not allowed to take food from your ship to shore.
While you're not allowed to take a sandwich or fruit from the ship with you, you can take prepackaged food such as granola bars. I bought several different things to bring on our cruise so we wouldn't have to search out food when we rented a car in Skagway. We also brought plenty of water. Edited by geoherb

I just found information today on the new shopping center in Carcross: http://www.carcrosscommons.com/

Looks like a few restaurants:

- Bistro on Bennett

- Gold Pan Pizza

- Frisky Fresh Fish

- Caribou Coffee

It looks like the official opening was just a couple of weeks ago, and it's not clear if all of these restaurants are open for business yet. Not much info on their web sites.

I'd love to hear from anyone who tries any of these new places!

I just found information today on the new shopping center in Carcross: http://www.carcrosscommons.com/

Looks like a few restaurants:

- Bistro on Bennett

- Gold Pan Pizza

- Frisky Fresh Fish

- Caribou Coffee

It looks like the official opening was just a couple of weeks ago, and it's not clear if all of these restaurants are open for business yet. Not much info on their web sites.

I'd love to hear from anyone who tries any of these new places!

I just stopped in for a latte at Caribou Coffee an hour ago but had a look at the other places. Frisky Fish is operating in a trailer, Gold Pan Pizza's building is empty, and the Bistro looks great, though they won't have their beer taps set up for a couple of weeks ago.

Had lunch at Skagway Brewing, and while the quality of the halibut is as excellent as always, the portions are much smaller. It just went from being one of the two best halibut-and-chip places in the North to being a distant 2nd (the best is in Whitehorse).

I just stopped in for a latte at Caribou Coffee an hour ago but had a look at the other places. Frisky Fish is operating in a trailer, Gold Pan Pizza's building is empty, and the Bistro looks great, though they won't have their beer taps set up for a couple of weeks ago.

Had lunch at Skagway Brewing, and while the quality of the halibut is as excellent as always, the portions are much smaller. It just went from being one of the two best halibut-and-chip places in the North to being a distant 2nd (the best is in Whitehorse).

I guess we will have to wait and see if these businesses are up and running by the end of July. I'd rather eat at a new small business in Carcross than the mediocre chicken BBQ at Caribou Crossing.

Halibut is really expensive lately, so I can understand why they might reduce portion sizes. I had some great halibut and chips near Port Townsend last weekend, and those portions seemed rather small too.

We just returned from our Alaska cruise. We took the Dyea Dave tour, and stopped in Carcross. The bakery was very good. We had their soup (no need for a sandwich, since bread comes with the soup) and a dessert. It was very good. Lots of people were getting ice cream cones down the street. They looked good, but we were too cold for ice cream!!

Perhaps the bakery has improved over the years, but I found it phenomenal when we were there a few weeks ago. They had plenty of sandwiches pre-made in the cooler and soups came out super fast. Only line was for the bathroom!

Perhaps they have improved. When we ate there in 2012, I would have compared it to a school cafeteria food except with no salt in anything. I will keep an open mind and continue to watch current reviews.

We still probably won't eat there this year, because I'll have 4 picky teens/young adult with us who would not want pre-made sandwiches. Two kids don't eat cheese or mayo, 3 don't like tomatoes, etc. ... you get the idea. :rolleyes: But they will all eat fish & chips so I'm hoping for some good reviews of the Frisky Fish place.

the bakery wasn't bad. it was more than we would usually spend for soups and sandwiches, so that is probably coloring my opinion a bit. I had an egg salad sandwich with tomato soup while my husband had a reuben with vegetable soup. I also had a cinnamon bun. Everything was made from scratch and tasted good. I dislike salt and would not like it in egg salad, tomato soup or a bun, so I can't comment on anything lacking it. I only interacted with one employee, but she was really nice and we had a long conversation about the history of the town and the hotel across the street. if I went back, I might try somewhere else in town but would definitely stop in for a baked good.

the bakery wasn't bad. it was more than we would usually spend for soups and sandwiches, so that is probably coloring my opinion a bit. I had an egg salad sandwich with tomato soup while my husband had a reuben with vegetable soup. I also had a cinnamon bun. Everything was made from scratch and tasted good. I dislike salt and would not like it in egg salad, tomato soup or a bun, so I can't comment on anything lacking it. I only interacted with one employee, but she was really nice and we had a long conversation about the history of the town and the hotel across the street. if I went back, I might try somewhere else in town but would definitely stop in for a baked good.

When I mention that the food seemed to be lacking salt, I didn't mean that it wasn't really salty, I mean it was as if they had forgotten it completely, even in the baked goods. Bread requires some salt. We got a cinnamon roll and it was completely bland and had a dry texture. The bread I got with my soup was similarly bland. I think they claimed it was sourdough bread, and it had no flavor. I think we must have just hit the place on a really bad day.

BTW, I never eat egg salad that had been pre-made and sitting for who-knows how long. I learned my lesson with that back in college. :eek: