Booze Cruise?

Wordzz

My wife and I fell in love with Cunard a couple of years ago, since when we have been on (only) four cruises.

We are looking at taking my 91 year-old mother-in-law on a four-night cruise from Southampton to Zeebrugge and Cherbourg on 4 Ocober. She's never been on a cruise but has listened enraptured to our experiences of being on QM2 and is really keen to try it.

This mini-cruise fits perfectly in terms of dates with her birthday. My only worry is that, being a short Soton-Soton cruise, it might be more of a 'booze cruise' than a 'real' QM2 experience. Am i worrying needlessly? Or are these short cruises likely to disillusion her rather than enchant her? Will we get the 'real' Cunard experience?

Thanks in advance for advice and opinions!

My wife and I fell in love with Cunard a couple of years ago, since when we have been on (only) four cruises.

We are looking at taking my 91 year-old mother-in-law on a four-night cruise from Southampton to Zeebrugge and Cherbourg on 4 Ocober. She's never been on a cruise but has listened enraptured to our experiences of being on QM2 and is really keen to try it.

This mini-cruise fits perfectly in terms of dates with her birthday. My only worry is that, being a short Soton-Soton cruise, it might be more of a 'booze cruise' than a 'real' QM2 experience. Am i worrying needlessly? Or are these short cruises likely to disillusion her rather than enchant her? Will we get the 'real' Cunard experience?

These trips are different to the experience that you've enjoyed on longer trips, they can't really be called booze cruises though. The passenger demographic will be different as well, they aren't worse but they are different.

I have to agree with the good cap'n (above).

The "true" Cunard experience is enjoyed on a transatlantic crossing or longer cruise. However, a four day short cruise can give someone a flavour of what makes QM2, QE and QV so special. I'd say "go for it", it will certainly NOT be a "booze cruise". Although the average age of the passengers maybe be younger, and many of the "Cocktail Party in the Queens Room" invitations missing, a lady of 91 is sure to have a wonderful time.

Let us know what you decide, and a huge Bon Voyage to your mother-in-law :) !

Edited by pepperrn

My wife and I will be on the 27 August-15 September version of NYC-Soton-Zeebrugge-Cherbourg-Soton-NYC cruise. We'll let you know on 8 September how many Soton-Soton drunks we encountered so that you may prepare.

I agree with previous comments [with some minor exceptions]. Just to add, that I think you made a good choice for someone (of any age) who has never cruised previously; staying close to harbor is less anxiety provoking. May I suggest that you chose your dining times and evening activities carefully in an effort to avoid those who might over-imbibe, just as we do on land. No doubt your mother-in-law is familiar with those unwritten rules :)

Best wishes for a happy birthday celebration! Cheers, -Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Thank you all for your encouraging replies! Feeling much reassured and am about to book it.

it will be good to have it to look forward to, after we come back from Iceland on QV in July!

imho short cruises do not shine the best light on the ships.

I do use Cunard often as a ferry between Hamburg and So'ton. Can't confirm this for the grills and didn't notice bad situations anywhere on the ships.

But So'ton - Zebrugge might be different as passenger types/drinking behaviours are others.

These trips are different to the experience that you've enjoyed on longer trips, they can't really be called booze cruises though. The passenger demographic will be different as well, they aren't worse but they are different.

This is a very fair assessment. I have undertaken a number of these so can be categorised as one of the Zeebrugge "booze cruise" customers. Never seen bad behaviour but it is certainly more lively of an evening, G32 can be packed out and rocking for example.

M-AR

I am one of those who do B2B2B cruises (I hate packing and unpacking, plus I have to fly to join any ship)

The atmosphere can certainly change, I have seen a "traditional Transatlantic" atmosphere become a "I am not going to dress up, so the harpist is playing but we came for a rollicking good time " crowd in the Chart Room for a 4 day across channel and back. Even a group who decide to sing in German (Hamburg boarders) in the Chart Room, a different song to that which the pianist was playing. The pianist actually closed the piano and left.

Then on other cruises the same number of days produced a very traditional type of passenger, who just wanted to cruise on Cunard.

You cannot tell which you will get. I am 88 so close to your MIL age. There are alternatives if a certain public area does not suit her. The lectures are almost always "sedate", Sir Samuels is very good for midmorning /afternoon cup of tea and maybe something to munch.

Queens room tea with music is also very pleasant , but do get there about 10 mins ahead of time as it can fill up fast.

Evening pre dinner drinks , well Sir Samuels becomes a wine bar, the Chart Room has music , the Commodore Room is large and again good for pre dinner drink. Three areas to from which to choose.

I suggest dining at 6p.m if she gets tired early, she can retire to cabin leaving you to go dancing or whatever.

After dinner there is the show or maybe a film in the movie theatre

My best advice would be "DO NOT FORGET TO PACK her sense of humour" .

Lynn

I am one of those who do B2B2B cruises (I hate packing and unpacking, plus I have to fly to join any ship)

The atmosphere can certainly change, I have seen a "traditional Transatlantic" atmosphere become a "I am not going to dress up, so the harpist is playing but we came for a rollicking good time " crowd in the Chart Room for a 4 day across channel and back. Even a group who decide to sing in German (Hamburg boarders) in the Chart Room, a different song to that which the pianist was playing. The pianist actually closed the piano and left.

Then on other cruises the same number of days produced a very traditional type of passenger, who just wanted to cruise on Cunard.

You cannot tell which you will get. I am 88 so close to your MIL age. There are alternatives if a certain public area does not suit her. The lectures are almost always "sedate", Sir Samuels is very good for midmorning /afternoon cup of tea and maybe something to munch.

Queens room tea with music is also very pleasant , but do get there about 10 mins ahead of time as it can fill up fast.

Evening pre dinner drinks , well Sir Samuels becomes a wine bar, the Chart Room has music , the Commodore Room is large and again good for pre dinner drink. Three areas to from which to choose.

I suggest dining at 6p.m if she gets tired early, she can retire to cabin leaving you to go dancing or whatever.

After dinner there is the show or maybe a film in the movie theatre

My best advice would be "DO NOT FORGET TO PACK her sense of humour" .

Lynn

Sage advice, Lynn.

Wordzz, since your MIL is keen to have this experience--which is in itself wonderful---by all means take her and may you all have a fabulous time.

I will happily be explicit with what some other posters have politely hinted at:

As your voyage will not include an embarkation at Hamburg, life onboard the QM2 should be more or less what you are accustomed to.

Thanks once again for all your replies and suggestions.

The mini-cruise is now booked, so it's a done deal. Adjacent staterooms, so we're all set and secure. It will be good to be back on QM2 again - I thought we weren't going to make it this year, so that's a nice bonus! Would love to stay on board for the TA leaving on Oct 8th, but work and wallet won't permit that!