Anybody Willing to 'describe' QE2??

LocoLoco1

Much seems made of QE2 as NOT a cruise ship.. We've been on Princess Megas and Sun etc. and Celebrity. Now we thought, 'what the heck' ..QE2 for Panama Canal in Jan. So what are we going to find that could be much different?? Any reply much appreciated.

Much seems made of QE2 as NOT a cruise ship.. We've been on Princess Megas and Sun etc. and Celebrity. Now we thought, 'what the heck' ..QE2 for Panama Canal in Jan. So what are we going to find that could be much different?? Any reply much appreciated.

Rather depends on what you will be sailing in - the high end suites are like high end suites & the Queen's Grill reputedly the best restaurant on the Ocean. If you are sailing in Princess or Britannia Grill you will find large, comfortable, traditional cabins. In Caronia or Mauretania you will probably find cabins smaller than on mega ships - but still well equiped and functional. The lowest Mauretania grades are probably to be avoided (ask Ernie!;) ).

Layout - confusing at first - as originally designed as a 3 class ship, launched as a 2 class one and now run as a (virtual) one class one you will find the stair towers a little confusing - 'A' ('Third Class') does not stop at Quarter or One Decks ('First Class'). 'D' lifts do not go down below 3 deck (why would they - that was Tourist/Third?) - but 'E' goes 'everywhere'.

There are two main decks of public rooms - Quarter Deck (old First Class: Chart Room Bar, Queens Room, Caronia Restaurant) and Upper Deck (for the lower classes - Grand Lounge, Golden Lion Pub and Mauretania Restaurant). Its fun playing 'spot the difference' in style and atmosphere - even to this day.

Lovely open decks at back, tiering down to the sea, with new Funnel Bar on the old First Class Sun Deck.

Interesting artifacts & ship models throughout.

In sum - the last of her breed - enjoy her while you can - go!

Peter

Yes - go. But don't expect a modern ship, she is getting on and shows it at times. There will be the occasional aroma down some of the corridors, the cold water may be a bit warm at times and the aircon not quite what you may be used to. But you can expect a standard of service enhanced by the fact that all aboard are aware of what this ship is. We may not have long and I am sailing on her again in November way down to the Falklands.

But the canal, wow, wish I was there.

David.

Tom,

All the responses you received are accurate as far as the ship's layout and facilities, but I'm with Myles, I go for the diversity. There are tiny ladies in polyester from the 60s who do a half world cruise each year, (and confide they live on toast and tinned beans in order to do it), to those who dwell in the penthouses with their own butler. Yet when you are in the public rooms you are equals. Chat up a person at tea and they might be a judge, a rancher, a pensioner, and could be from anywhere in the world. The ship is a wonderfully comfortable backdrop for meeting and interacting with these interesting folks. Plus the food, the activites, and the ports are all very enjoyable. I fell in love with QE2 on my first transatlantic in 1976 and still love her.

Crepidula

I wholeheartedly agree with Crepidula above regarding the diversity of QE-2's

passengers. I couldn't possibly have said it better myself.

Occaisionally, a first time passenger on QE-2 will be disappointed in the whole experience, and in my opinion this is because he or she came aboard expecting the wrong kind of experience.

If you go to COLONIAL WILLIAMSBURG expecting DISNEY WORLD, you will be disappointed. QE-2 is not a THEME PARK, rather it is in itself a PLACE IN HISTORY. Go aboard expecting THAT, and you probably won't be disappointed.

The funny thing is: CRUISE SHIPS are an imitation and updated re-adaptation of the old ocean liners. The reverse is NOT the case. Still, many newer cruisers form their first opinions on the cruise ships, then use the "FUN SHIPS" as a measuring stick to compare QE-2 to, and that's where they end up feeling shortchanged.

I think we are going to have a GREAT time on QE2.. and Hull736 echos our sentiments. Way back when, I believe a certain 'someone' enjoyed the all-you-can-drink...chase the girls...up til dawn bizzo; things change don't they? I finally caught one!! Our final decision now is to book M1 or M2 or whatever?? based on previous passengers' advice. The $$ has been forwarded...we're off!!

The QE2 will always be my favorite ship. Cumulatively, I have spent over 2 years on board, attained before the age of 20. For various reasons, she will always be my favorite; I enjoy the British flair and elegance. Sort of a manor house or club feel. Think Savoy Hotel. But others see her as a worn-out, second class ferry that needs to be scuttled.

At least you'll never see a Wet T-shirt Contest.....thank goodness. Leave that to Carnival! :eek:

guernseyguy - Yes, every cruise / crossing is different re passenger type. QM2 crossings are far far different from, say, a Baltic cruise on the old Caronia. QM2 is a modern ship and attracts an average younger clientel, and QE2 is certainly a very different ship on the world cruise than, say, a Med. one.

QM2 would not be attractive to "romantics" - QE2 would be very much so.

And if you get a catch in your throat when you enter a medieval cathedral you will love QE2.

David.

Peter --

It's a general rule amongst cruisers--the more sophisticated the itinerary, the more expensive the cruise line, the longer the cruise....the older and more sophisticated the crowd will be. Younger generally equals shorter cruise (less vacation time at work) and a more economically-feasible itinerary (Carib or Mexico) and a party atmosphere. A trans-Atlantic cruise does not offer a new port every day, which also leads to a more quiet crowd.

I'm early 40s (or, mid-40s, depending on my mood for the day) and we are taking an 18-day cruise SEA-Alaska-Russia-Korea-Japan cruise this fall. I am anticipating a crowd which is generally more mature (I, too, will be that age sometime.....don't want to call them "old!" ;) ) on our itinerary.

I also have sailed on Cunard many times and some of the other high-end lines. There are always some young folks (dot.com retirees!) but overwhelmingly a bit older crowd.

cheers

Rather depends on what you will be sailing in - the high end suites are like high end suites & the Queen's Grill reputedly the best restaurant on the Ocean. If you are sailing in Princess or Britannia Grill you will find large, comfortable, traditional cabins. In Caronia or Mauretania you will probably find cabins smaller than on mega ships - but still well equiped and functional. The lowest Mauretania grades are probably to be avoided (ask Ernie!;) ).

Layout - confusing at first - as originally designed as a 3 class ship, launched as a 2 class one and now run as a (virtual) one class one you will find the stair towers a little confusing - 'A' ('Third Class') does not stop at Quarter or One Decks ('First Class'). 'D' lifts do not go down below 3 deck (why would they - that was Tourist/Third?) - but 'E' goes 'everywhere'.

There are two main decks of public rooms - Quarter Deck (old First Class: Chart Room Bar, Queens Room, Caronia Restaurant) and Upper Deck (for the lower classes - Grand Lounge, Golden Lion Pub and Mauretania Restaurant). Its fun playing 'spot the difference' in style and atmosphere - even to this day.

Lovely open decks at back, tiering down to the sea, with new Funnel Bar on the old First Class Sun Deck.

Interesting artifacts & ship models throughout.

In sum - the last of her breed - enjoy her while you can - go!

Peter

I'd be interested in hearing what "Ernie" complained about staying in the Mauretania lower grades. We stayed on the 4th deck Mauretania and it was fine. My grandfather crossed on the QE1 one way and QM1 the other way, and I could visualize him in similar surroundings. (Look at the room charts, and see how unique the different layouts are in the same category. You won't see the twists and turns like this on the QM2 or many other modern ships.)

What's wrong with dreaming that you are in a row boat gently tossing from side to side? I liked the creaks, etc., because I could actually feel that I was on a ship which is another reason that I chose the QE2. The room was compact but not too small (unlike our hotel room in London).

I enjoy visiting old estates, inns and castles in Europe and think the rubbed patina and scratches in the wood demonstrate a well-deserved history and wonder about the previous occupants and travelers on the ship who opened the drawers, sat on the furniture and drank their martinis. As long as they didn't close a gate to keep us in the bowels of the ship, I was fine with it!

I know that my ancestors didn't travel to America in first class. Besides, we left our room in the morning and didn't return to it until we changed for dinner and then returned to sleep. It depends on the history that you would like to experience - luxury and high price or functional and historically sensible. We couldn't imagine the food being tastier, and my husband had his off-the-menu grilled salmon every evening!

I'd be interested in hearing what "Ernie" complained about staying in the Mauretania lower grades. We stayed on the 4th deck Mauretania and it was fine.

I'm sure Ernie will expound for himself, iirc he had a particularly scuzzy M5 (inside, with bunks...) I've always booked Mauretania guarantees and got M1 or M2 - and sailed on 4 deck forward to 5 deck midships - probably the most stable location on the ship for the December crossing.

Peter

......And if you get a catch in your throat when you enter a medieval cathedral you will love QE2.

David.

Come on David, she is old but not THAT old!!! Does that mean that if you don't love QE2 you break wind every time you enter a Medieval cathedral??? (sorry just joking - couldn't resist).

Ken

I think the whole 'thing' about the QE2 is she is in effect a collective fantasy - on your own, in the middle of the Atlantic, everyone dressed to the nines - you all believe you are on the most fabulous and glamorous ocean liner in the world - and lo - you are! Its only when you see Chris Tarrant drunkenly murdering 'New York! New York!' in the Crystal bar, where once Marlene Dietrich might, long ago have sang, (though she used to sail on the Normandie and was not best pleased when the Tourist Class Games Deck was built directly in front of her usual suite) reality temporarily intrudes.....

Peter

I think the whole 'thing' about the QE2 is she is in effect a collective fantasy - on your own, in the middle of the Atlantic, everyone dressed to the nines - you all believe you are on the most fabulous and glamorous ocean liner in the world - and lo - you are!

Peter ..... Is 'collective fantasy 'akin to mass hysteria????

Its only when you see Chris Tarrant drunkenly murdering 'New York! New York!' in the Crystal bar, where once Marlene Dietrich might, long ago have sang,... reality temporarily intrudes...Peter

Chris Tarrant singing in the Crystal Bar ????? The ghost of Marlene Dietrich ???? Yes it must be hysteria !!!!!!!

Peter ..... Is 'collective fantasy 'akin to mass hysteria????

Chris Tarrant singing in the Crystal Bar ????? The ghost of Marlene Dietrich ???? Yes it must be hysteria !!!!!!!

I have a 'collective fantasy', You are 'deluded', They have 'mass hysteria';)

The Chris Tarrant story is true, alas....and whats worse, Nicholas Parsons was joining in.....but I feel like I'm telling tales out of school......

Peter

I have a 'collective fantasy', You are 'deluded', They have 'mass hysteria';)

OK, I'll go along with that ..... but at least I'm taking the pills!!!!

...The Chris Tarrant story is true, alas....and whats worse, Nicholas Parsons was joining in.....but I feel like I'm telling tales out of school......Peter

Oh go on tell all ..... no one is listening but me !!!!! Love to hear about the rich and famous transatlantic glitterati.......

Ken

Oh go on tell all ..... no one is listening but me !!!!! Love to hear about the rich and famous transatlantic glitterati......Ken

No, I couldn't....lets just say Jeremy Beadle was a perfect gentleman and Lorraine Kelly a real sweetie and leave it at that......you really should cross on the QE2 more often!

Peter

Agree with the comments above about the diversity of clients.

QE2 has an atmosphere (I agree its nurtured mercilessly as a selling point - but it IS there). Its the history I suppose - the art, The Queen Mary's piano, the pictures and, importantly, the tales you hear from the many repeating customers about their own experiences on board.

If 10 storey artria are your thing then dont go QE2. But if lying on your (way TOO comfortable) bed listening to the wooden panelling and doors in your cabin creaking gently with the movement of the ship is you - then youve chosen wisely! Heaven!

No, I couldn't....lets just say Jeremy Beadle was a perfect gentleman and Lorraine Kelly a real sweetie and leave it at that......you really should cross on the QE2 more often!

Peter

Nah .... couldn't stand all the excitement

Ken

Having just read all these wonderful posts has confimed my decision to book NYC to LA this Jan. Wish I could do the full 108 days but unless I find a patron I shall have to settle for the short version. Yet with several days in NYC, the opera ("Die Fladermaus"), Tea at the Pierre and then several days in LA before a great train journey back to Boston, it will be very memorable.

tumeroll - that is a faboo voyage you have planned.

I did the QE2 transcanal in 2003 & it was great. I ended up on the trip because I was to sail to Europe on 16 September 2001 on QE2 - I live in NYC . Needless to say the events of 9/11 ended that - I live downtown & was in a frozen zone....afterwards I was a mess. So late 2002 I booked the transcanal & it was great.

The people onboard were well travelled & yet friendly. Out of 1700 passengers about 700 people do the canal portion. I met a judge from England, a locksmith from LAPD(both doing the full WC, 4 men from LA, an editor from London that each year brings his wife & mother in law so the MIL gets setlled for the WC(she treats the QE2 as a winter home) & countless others. The full World Cruisers were just as friendly.

QE2 is an ocean liner with her own history. She sails wonderfully well through all seas. She has class & character. There certainly isn't anything wrong with Mauretania class. Caronia is quite nice & the open seating is worth it. I like teh Princess Grills the best. One is original to the ship & has wonderful ocean views. I found the Queens Grill too stuffy (heat wise) & unless you were on One or Two Deck the motion at times a bit much(I am a good sailor).

The public rooms are a mix - the Chart Room with the Queen Mary piano is my favorite. The Yacht Club is fun at nite. There is a very well stocked library. The Queens Room is large & I found myself waltzing / dancing with ladies just for fun(it was). There is plenty of activities during the day along with the pools & gym(try the water colors class - great fun for all).

At the end of my trip I drove to a wonderfull inn for a few days on the coast & flew home....I'd do it in a second again. I've sailed 3 x on QE2 since 1987 . Do read the David Mc Cullough book - "Path Between The Seas" before you sail.

She is unique in her purpose, design, style & passengers(those who go beyond the average). If you like saying "Why not?" then you'll have a most memorable voyage.

Archived