Tropical Storm Harvey to hit Bermuda

Swizzle v2.0

Looks like a tropical storm formed in the Atlantic and will hit Bermuda tonight. The weather here is already poor - heavily overcast with high winds and rain is on the way. It is expected to leave Bermuda by tomorrow afternoon so cruise ships that are leaving for Bermuda in the next day or two probably won't be rerouted.

Looks like a tropical storm formed in the Atlantic and will hit Bermuda tonight. The weather here is already poor - heavily overcast with high winds and rain is on the way. It is expected to leave Bermuda by tomorrow afternoon so cruise ships that are leaving for Bermuda in the next day or two probably won't be rerouted.

Hi Swizzle. Yes, I was just reading about this on the RCI threads.

We are due to depart on Sunday, making landfall on Tuesday. Should be OK, unless another tropical storm starts up.

Honestly, when we booked this cruise last December, we were totally unaware of how many Hurricanes and tropical storms you get this time of year! :eek:

Well I hope the folks scheduled for Royal Carribean's Bermuda cruise take both warm weather and cold weather clothing. I bet the Captain heads north to Canada again this week!:confused:

Honestly, when we booked this cruise last December, we were totally unaware of how many Hurricanes and tropical storms you get this time of year! :eek:

Actually Bermuda doesn't get that many and we were in a drought through June and much of July. A hurricane seems to happen once every 8-15 years.

Thanks for the concern Iszu but don't worry, Bermuda homes are made of cement. My house is also well sheltered, I didn't even have plywood on the windows when Hurricane Fabian went through and didn't lose a single pane - and that was Category 3 Hurricane.

Harvey is # 8 this season, and usually # 8 does not happen until the end of September. :confused:

I wonder if the Zenith made it out of St George O.K. this afternoon, with all the heavy rain and wind.

If all goes well, we’ll be there Monday morning. :)

Actually Bermuda doesn't get that many and we were in a drought through June and much of July. A hurricane seems to happen once every 8-15 years.

Thanks for the concern Iszu but don't worry, Bermuda homes are made of cement. My house is also well sheltered, I didn't even have plywood on the windows when Hurricane Fabian went through and didn't lose a single pane - and that was Category 3 Hurricane.

Your architecture is just ONE of the MANY reasons we want to come visit your island.

But if a Cat 3 (or above) Hurricane comes to visit also next week, can we come to your house?!?! :p

(and can I bring 3000 of my closest and newest friends too) :D

Everything is fine, the worst passed over in the middle of the night. Power didn't even go out :) - so I had to go to work today :( .

At lunch time yesterday Zenith was docked in Hamilton along with the Horizon and NCL Crown, it was windy so I doubt it went to St. Georges.

SMEYER

quoted "...pictures of the Tropical storm in Bermuda...."

Thanks for the link.

As I read through the story, at the bottom, it said,

"The Grandeur of the Seas left Dockyard early yesterday morning as opposed to late afternoon to stay ahead of the storm."

What do you want to bet there will be more than a few postings from cruisers upset about that decision!!

If I were on RCI's cruise, I would be pretty disappointed considering it is only a 5 day cruise with just 2 days in port. The second day in port they were supposed to leave at 5:00 pm but left 8:00 am instead.

I just arrived back from my trip today and it is true, we had to leave extra early Wed. because of Tropical Storm Harvey. I was beyond pissed off but with the plethora of liquor and food (and my engagement on the ship :) ) I became a happy camper.

I did hear that 6 passengers (who I believe were golfers) were left in Bermuda.

VOS passengers,

How did they alert you that they were leaving Bermuda early? Did you get any compensation?

And anyone else, how quickly are cruiselines to change the ports of call for cruise ships for bad weather?

We will be departing for Bermuda on the Zenith on Aug. 13th --- so it's a bit too early to predict what's going to happen, but any information I can have will help calm my father who keeps on saying ---- cruising to Bermuda during peak hurricane season is insane ... as I can see the worried look in his eyes.

VOS passengers,

How did they alert you that they were leaving Bermuda early? Did you get any compensation?

And anyone else, how quickly are cruiselines to change the ports of call for cruise ships for bad weather?

We will be departing for Bermuda on the Zenith on Aug. 13th --- so it's a bit too early to predict what's going to happen, but any information I can have will help calm my father who keeps on saying ---- cruising to Bermuda during peak hurricane season is insane ... as I can see the worried look in his eyes.

Its not the Voayager that is there this week its the Granduer

The cruiseline change anytime they feel is necessary. The Voyager last week the Granduer this week---its Hurricaine season...

Its not the Voayager that is there this week its the Granduer

The cruiseline change anytime they feel is necessary. The Voyager last week the Granduer this week---its Hurricaine season...

Yes, I know that ... it was VOS that left Bermuda early last week due to TS Harvey and the Zenith that was held longer than expected in Hamilton.

I just wanted to get information from them or anyone else as to how cruiselines handle forecasted bad weather. I'm not the least bit concerned ... meteorological math models are in their infancy and will offer greater information as more is learned, in the mean time, I would merely like information to pass on to my dad to ease his worries.

Any information that any of you might have from prior experiences regarding potential bad weather in Bermuda would be greatly appreciated!

We are on the August 13th sailing of the Zenith also!!!!! We have been unable to find anyone else sailing with us until now!

VOS passengers,

They alerted us via the loudspeaker inside the ship. When we were on alert it was like 8:00am and most people were still on the ship. There was no compensation but to make up for it, they gave us complementary drinks that evening.

They are very quick about it seems as far as changing ports of call or changing their routes. Basically the captain (and his staff) kept in contact with the NHC in Miami to determine what to do.

Archived