Tropical Storm Harvey to hit Bermuda

Swizzle v2.0

Was on the Zenith last week during TS Harvey. Never made it to St. George. Instead stayed in Hamilton for 3 1/2 days. They tendered us into Hamilton on Wednesday because we were moved back to the shipping dock, which was inconvenient. On Thursday, they bussed us from the ship, which was better. We left port at 1pm.

I had gone out to Hog Penny on Wednesday night and when we left at 1am, it was windy and rainy, but nothing worse than a bad thunderstorm would produce. It appeared to be no damage to island or ship.

Celebrity gave us little information about the storm. We didn't know anything until a storm warning appeared on the bottom of the CNN TV News screen that we were watching in the cabin. We should have left Wed. night vs. Thursday at 1pm. We were very lucky the storm didn't hit directly. The ride back on Thursday was pretty bad until around 10pm. About 1/3 of the passangers were missing from dinner that night. I didn't mind staying in Hamilton. We had the busses the last day vs. the tender because Bermuda wouldn't let the tenders in the water (too rough & windy). I read about the storm warnings in the local paper that was available in the lobby. We didn't even get a free drink. I didn't mind staying in Hamilton. Bermuda is great but I wasn't that impressed on how Celebrity handled the storm.

We will be departing for Bermuda on the Zenith on Aug. 13th --- so it's a bit too early to predict what's going to happen, but any information I can have will help calm my father who keeps on saying ---- cruising to Bermuda during peak hurricane season is insane ... as I can see the worried look in his eyes.

Storm #9, now called Tropical Storm Irene, is predicted to go east of Bermuda but how far east can't be determined yet, the National Hurricane Center prediction zone gives it a chance of passing over Bermuda but more likely it will be hundreds of miles east. It's closest point to Bermuda is predicted to be on Friday so if you're leaving Saturday, thus arriving on Sunday, you should be fine. We should know by Wednesday whether Irene will be near Bermuda or not.

We are on the August 13th sailing of the Zenith also!!!!! We have been unable to find anyone else sailing with us until now!

I know, Karen, the passengers on this sailing have been unusually quite.

I can't wait ....

And thank you to all who answered my question!

Archived