? About vaccines.

espo56

We are leaving next Sunday. We already got the Hep A shots. Did anyone get the typhoid shots. Are they really necessary. We plan to go to Horseshoe Bay all three days.

Typhoid?!!! In Bermuda?!!! Surely you jest?

Even if the seawater were to be contaminated with sewage (which it isn't really and definitely not at Horseshoe), there need to be cases of typhoid on the island for there to be any appreciable risk to you and I haven't seen a case in the 36 years I have been here (and I'm in the medical field).

We are leaving next Sunday. We already got the Hep A shots. Did anyone get the typhoid shots. Are they really necessary. We plan to go to Horseshoe Bay all three days.

I don't think the typhoid shots are necessary. There has not been a case of Typhoid on Bermuda in many years.

Hep A I think is a good vaccine for anyone who travels to take. I would not call Hep A shots a necessity though. Even if I had the Hep A shot I wouldn't swim at Horseshoe if I thought the water was contaminated. Contaminated water can cause gastrointestinal illness. Please don't think that having a shot or shots makes contaminated water safe to swim in.

Edited by Charles4515

Thanks for the response. The CDC recommends both shots. I did get the Hep A but I was not planning to get the other. I would hope that warnings will be posted if it's not safe to swim.

I am surprised at anyone needing shots to go to Bermuda, maybe a 3rd world country but Bermuda?

It's because of the advisories released by the US Consulate in Bermuda regarding the high bacteria counts at several of the popular south shore beaches resulting from the untreated sewage blowing back up to the beaches after being pumped out to sea.

• 2 weeks later...
I am surprised at anyone needing shots to go to Bermuda, maybe a 3rd world country but Bermuda?

Have you checked the US CDC website lately? They recommend both Hep A & B and Typhoid for visits to Bermuda. I got Hep A and Typhoid (and Shingles vaccine), DH got all three recommended. Ins paid.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went to this website and the CDC suggests the same shots for every island in the Carribean, Bahamas and all other cruise destinations(basically if you plan on traveling anywhere outside the US).

I just went to this website and the CDC suggests the same shots for every island in the Carribean, Bahamas and all other cruise destinations(basically if you plan on traveling anywhere outside the US).

Since they have been no typhoid cases in Bermuda for many years I think that shot is overkill. I didn't get that shot. I think Hep. A is good to get no matter where you are traveling.

Edited by Charles4515

Since they have been no typhoid cases in Bermuda for many years I think that shot is overkill. I didn't get that shot. I think Hep. A is good to get no matter where you are traveling.

How was your cruise? Did you go in the ocean?

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

How was your cruise? Did you go in the ocean?

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

It was a great cruise. The weather was awesome. Sunny and calm seas. Great beach weather. I went to Horseshoe twice, Thursday and Friday. The water temperature was good too, just a minute to get used to the water temperature. So yes I went in the water a few times but I did not swim. I only went in at most about breast height. And I was careful not to get any water close to my head.

Thank you. Glad to hear your trip and weather were good.

I think I will do the same when going to Horseshoe. Not put my head in or do any real swimming.

Happy Cruising!

Robin

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006