Lunch and shopping near the port

browneyedwoman

We would like to have a short lunch and do some local shopping close to the port but I really don't want to shop in the cruise line owned port shops A short cab ride would be fine. I'm not familiar with the area. Does anyone have any recommendations of what area would work?

My parents are going to be with us and I wanted them to get a taste of shopping in the Caribbean. We'll be buying touristy things like T shirts, magnets and mugs, nothing special. I'm sure they'll tire out fast in the heat and want to go back on the ship. I thought lunch and a little shopping would be enough for them.

Old San Juan does not have cruise line owned shopping. They have real stores, owned by real locals and some of the major retailers such as Coach, Ralph Lauren/Polo, Dooney & Bourke etc

There is a CVS and Walgreens as well as Marshall's very close to where the ships dock. :)

You could spend a good part of your day walking the streets of Old San Juan shopping and enjoying a wonderful lunch.

Walking from the port up unto the city itself you pass tons of shops. The two main streets are San Francisco and Fortaleza. They have lots of tourist shops that carry tshirts, magnets etc. There are also alot of jewelry shops, restaurants, galleries etc.

Calle Cristo crosses Fortaleza (which btw ends at the governor's mansion - the Fortaleza) and there you find the big outlets. Coach, Ralph Lauren, Dooney & Bourke, Crocs and lots more. On Cristo is the big cathedral and Ben & Jerry's :D A few block up and you hit the fort.

Everything is pretty close and is walkable but if you rather not walk there are trolleys (free) that take you everywhere in OSJ.

For lunch there are many places to choose from. You will find the regular US fast food places. If you are looking for a local restaurant try El Jibarito (calle Sol) or Café Manolin (calle San Justo). You can just walk around and if you see locals it is worth a try - they would not last long if locals did not eat there.

edit - forgot to add, if you want local art go to Puerto Rican Arts & Crafts (calle Fortaleza). It is like a little mall for crafts with shops by several artists. There is another shop nearby (on Fortaleza) that has handmade jewelry. I can't remember the name but it is awesome and has some really unique stuff and is not expensive.

Edited by sirenitas