Which way to go??

budisal

The problem I'm facing is that I've sailed on the Eurodam the past two years, but the 14 day southern Caribbean cruise is only available on the Maasdam and I've been reading a lot of very bad reviews about the Maasdam lately. The Celebrity Eclipse has a better itinerary, but I must admit, I hate switching cruise lines when I love HAL so much.

Anybody have any opinions?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have to make a similar decision for Canada/New England in Sept 2015. Eurodam is making only one 10 day voyage departing NY (not Quebec) and it doesn't fit into our other plans but Princess does. Not really interested in sailing Princess so may have to change other plans to fit Eurodam. Not really enamoured in 7 day Maasdam or Veendam.

Thank goodness I have time to watch for more opinions on the Maasdam because we aren't sailing til Jan-March. No hurry to make a decision yet.

We have to make a similar decision for Canada/New England in Sept 2015. Eurodam is making only one 10 day voyage departing NY (not Quebec) and it doesn't fit into our other plans but Princess does. Not really interested in sailing Princess so may have to change other plans to fit Eurodam. Not really enamoured in 7 day Maasdam or Veendam.

We feel the same way. We want to do the Canada - New England run but not on the Maasdam or Veendam. We are looking at other lines.

We feel the same way. We want to do the Canada - New England run but not on the Maasdam or Veendam. We are looking at other lines.

HAL stops at the ports that we want especially the 10 day Colours of New England tour. Haven't found any other itineraries that we really like.

Edited by Stratheden

I was on the Maasdam April 11 to April 22 this year and it was in great shape. The staff was friendly and the food was better than I remembered. In January, there were some who had a bad experience but a new crew came on in April and everything was good.

The problem I'm facing is that I've sailed on the Eurodam the past two years, but the 14 day southern Caribbean cruise is only available on the Maasdam and I've been reading a lot of very bad reviews about the Maasdam lately. The Celebrity Eclipse has a better itinerary, but I must admit, I hate switching cruise lines when I love HAL so much.

Anybody have any opinions?

We have been on the Maasdam 3 times and would not go again despite the fact it was our very first cruise in 2006 and we loved the old girl.

The problem is the old girl is now 8 yrs older and even in 2006 it was obvious that the main problem is that this is a 21 yr old ship with 21 yr old ventilation and plumbing. It is the luck of the draw if your cabin has acceptable heating/cooling and don't expect that thermostat to do much of anything. Even in 2006 the joke was that it is only decorative. The plumbing is also often a source of consternation but not as bad as the AC when your cabin is either roasting or freezing and there is little you can do about it except call the front desk................again.

We really liked the ambience of the ship but on 10+ day cruises you should expect a more than usual elderly crowd of nice people but many wheelchairs, scooters, canes and crutches. This is not a criticism only an observation as I will soon be one of those same people.

Our current favorite has been Celebrity. However, Celebrity is undergoing its own transformations in food, entertainment and other amenities. Nonetheless, it is a younger crowd and the Eclipse does have the hot glass show at sea program that we REALLY enjoyed on a 14 day S. Caribbean cruise. We have been on S. Caribbean cruises both on the Maasdam and Eclipse and both were great with the caveats about the condition of the Maasdam vs. the comparatively new Eclipse with its own downsides at the time with a problem with loud music everywhere on the ship........but that situation appears to have been rectified. Hope this helps a bit

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

You all need to take the reports of the Maasdam with a grain of salt. You will get good and bad reports about every ship, It is just one persons opinion. Some people see a glass that is half full, other see it as half empty.

I'm just saying, I've read the reports on several ships and if I had believe everything they wrote I wouldn't have had the wonderful cruises on those particular ships that we did.

Thanks OBX. That helps a lot. Now, we're not exactly young. I'm going to be 72 and my wife will be 67 by then, but we're more like 60 and 55 in our pov and attitude, so age is not a real factor. I will admit, the more sedate crowd on the HAL ships is most soothing, but put that up against an aging ship with AC and plumbing problems and there's no contest. So I think we'll be giving the Eclipse a shot for our winter vacation in 2015.

Thanks to everyone for your great responses. They've been key in helping with a difficult decision. What's the worst that could happen? We could hate Celebrity ( doubtful) and return to HAL next year. Right?

By the way, I'm sure we'll have a great trip no matter who we choose. We are very easy going and not difficult to please. Besides... who doesn't enjoy cruising? OK, there are some. But we're not one of them. Heck, I had one of my greatest cruises on a converted Greek freighter. And we had a super Alaska cruise with NCL. So, like I said, I think we'll have a good time, no matter what. Thanks again.

We are taking the 11-day Noordam Wayfarer Southern Caribbean on 30 March 2015. I also was considering the Maasdam; but opted for the Noordam this time. We did sail the Maasdam for NE/Canada. We have also sailed the Noordam and like her alot. We will be on here for a Western Caribbean in Dec.

Dennis

I see that you posted your question on the Celebrity board too, and you're getting a lot of good answers there and here.

We have sailed both lines and like both for different reasons. It was hard for us to jump to another line too, so I know what you're talking about.

The only big negative I have with Celebrity, as a new cruiser with them, is that they do not have a decent laundry program. HAL has them beat hands down in that area. No self laundries on any of their ships, no laundry deals for the length of your cruise, and very very rarely any "by the bag" offers either. Until you are a higher level cruiser with them (sorry I don't remember what level it is, but we aren't there) your only option is by the piece. We were shocked to find this out on our first cruise with them. We've gotten spoiled with HAL!

It may not be a biggie to you, but for us 14 days of laundry by the piece really adds up. :) Thankfully we will have a big OBC on our next cruise on Celebrity this summer, and will send things out and do a few things in the sink! :D

As someone already mentioned, this is all so subjective. I myself would sail on Maasdam hands down over any Celebrity or Princess ship. My last Maasdam cruise was 7 months ago and was absolutely wonderful in every way. My last Celebrity cruise was 5 months ago and I missed HAL at every turn. But again, that's just me! I think whatever you choose you'll have a great time.. (but you knew that :))

Nothing wrong with the Maasdam.

While old, it is one of the most elegant ships in the fleet. Take the reviews with a grain of salt.

We have not sailed Celebrity, so cannot compare the lines. But, we like Maasdam. We last sailed her in 2012, and she seemed just fine to us. We have read that HAL is selling her sister ships Statendam and Ryndam, so we concluded that Maasdam and sister ship Veendam may be in better condition.

Bottom line -- you have to make your own decision, but in our opinion, Maasdam is a great small-ship-by-today's-reality cruise.

(BTW, you might find yourself joining us in March 2015 -- we have booked her for the itinerary as well as the ship itself.)

Dave

Edited by RetiredMustang

We have sailed on both HAL and X. Spent the last two Thanksgivings on Eclipse and had a great time. As you said, the ports are great. We find that there are plenty of places to meet friends or find a quiet nook on Eclipse. In our opinion it is one of the best, if not the best, in the X fleet. Either way you go, I am sure you will have a great time.