Trip Insurance for South American cruise

clojacks

We just booked a South American cruise on the Norwegian Sun for Feb of 2016through on online cruise consolidator last week and haven't purchased their trip insurance....yet. I believe we have 21 days from deposit date. Is trip insurance available in the marketplace? Would there be any reason to "shop" for it? Does Norwegian offer it if we have booked from someone else? This will be our 14th cruise and we have never purchased it, but our ages, winter weather where we live, and family considerations have us convinced it is something we should do, but I have also heard horror stories from people trying to collect on trip insurance from this past winters travel nightmares..

I always shop around for trip insurance. Insuremytrip(dot)(com) will give you good comparisons and allow you to read the full policy document before purchase.

From personal experience, I always use and highly recommend TravelGuard. I've had to file claims for a few complicated trips (including a death in the family where the deceased was ill at the time of purchase) and have never had a problem getting claims reimbursed.

Since you mention your age, I want to highly suggest looking at a good med-evac policy. That's where the big financial losses can be felt.

Also be sure to check with your current health insurance policy, as well as with your employer (if you are still employed) and your credit card company to see what coverage, if any, you have as a benefit.

You will get better responses if you re-post this in the Travel Insurance Forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=635

(Copy and paste if this isn't clickable).

We use TripInsuranceStore.com

and we suggest you CALL them (not just look online) so they can help you determine what your specific insurance needs are (or what you do not need).

GeezerCouple