Crusing out of Texas, NCL Jewel vs RCCL Navigator

I posted this down on gulf coast departures, but didn't get any bites.

The cruisers here would be family, 70s to 30s, active in the walking/ ballroom dance sense of the word, but not heavy gamblers or clubbers. Food without a lot of upcharges, entertainment, venues where we can sit and talk to each other without shouting to be heard, and cleanliness are selling points. Does anyone have experience on the Jewel and Navigator of the Seas and can give some pros and cons?

Navigator has more active (as in physical fitness) type activities such as the rock climbing wall and the FlowRider. Jewel's only contribution to such activities is a small water slide.

Fewer active-family bells and whistles translates (in general) to better prices as well.

I'll let others chime in on food, venues and noise level, etc.

Navigator has the Royal Promenade down the center of the ship. This is a great place for people watching. Also, has the Promenade Cafe, which has the best cookies at sea! Not sure what the difference in price would be, but I think the Navigator would give a better all round cruise. Also, IMO, food is better on RC, than NCL, but this is very subjective. I have been on both ships. They offer different types of cruise vacations, IMO.

I believe you, debshomespun. Can you give me an overall sense of the differences? I dug up the deck plans for both ships (even though they *both* just got out of drydock, so I know there are differences from that).

It may not matter to you, but it does play into my decision. Other than overall WOW factor, you can hang out on the bow of the Navigator. It is a really nice place to be while entering port.

I perfer the food options on NCL by far, but the ship itself (Navigator of the Seas) on RCCL.

I'll be curious to hear other people's opinion on this topic also. I'm visiting family in Houston later this year and am considering taking a cruise from Houston or Galveston while there. I love the pics of the common rooms on the Navigator but all of the cabin picts I have seen make it seem really dated. I can't find any recent pictures after the dry dock. I'm very interested in Navigator, but I absolutely hate the idea of formal nights on tropical vacations. I'm going on my first NCL cruise this weekend and am excited that they don't have formal nights. The last thing I want to do on vacation is wear a jacket and tie. If I'm going to a tropical climate, I want to be dressed for the destination.