Oasis of the Seas B2B Trip Report - 5/10/14 & 5/17/14

Thank you Mark for such a fantastic report. Our last trip on Oasis, Simeon was on board too and we loved him.....what a funny guy. I hope he is still there in August. Your story about your flight home reminded me when we were leaving FLL from our Oasis cruise. We sat at the airport from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm...our flight was delayed 3 times because of severe thunderstorms back in Jersey. Take-off was about 5:30 pm.....I looked outside the window and Oasis was sailing away. Oh my what a feeling, I literally had tears in my eyes.

Thanks again for all your time in sharing your experience.:)

Awesome review - loads of fun !

Quick question I haven't been able to get answered - the OBC you got for booking multiple specialty restaurants - is that just a standard OBC, usable for anything (shopping, excursions, etc)? The wording is a bit confusing...

Thanks !

Awesome review - loads of fun !

Quick question I haven't been able to get answered - the OBC you got for booking multiple specialty restaurants - is that just a standard OBC, usable for anything (shopping, excursions, etc)? The wording is a bit confusing...

Thanks !

As far as I could tell, it was a standard OBC. It just reduced the amount on our account - we did not pre-pay gratuities, which hit $12 per person per day on our account, as well as some purchases, so we already have a balance and this just reduced it. Hope that helps. :)

Edited by marklodi

As far as I could tell, it was a standard OBC. It just reduced the amount on our account - we did not pre-pay gratuities, which hit $12 per person per day on our account, as well as some purchases, so we already have a balance and this just reduced it. Hope that helps. :)

Definitely, thanks !

Quick update: The reason this report took so long to post - about one day each day - wasn't just from writing it all out as detailed as I could (for better or worse), but also because I was creating a full document I had other plans for.

And those plans are to make this into a PDF file with dozens and dozens of pictures. I have added some additional details, edited for my silly spelling and grammar mistakes (though like any self-editor, I may still miss a few), etc.

The end result? It's in final editing now and weighs in at 265 pages and about 66mbs.

Now please note I will NOT be posting the PDF or a link to the PDF here on the board. Instead, I will make a note here when it is ready, and then anyone who is interested can either post their email address if they feel comfortable, or can message me here on the board. I will then email you a private link to download the file from my Dropbox account.

A couple of notes: First, I will NOT use your email address for anything other than to send you a link. I will keep your address private, and I ask you do the same with the address I email you from.

I also ask that you do not copy or duplicate the trip report. If you know of someone who wants a copy, please email me their email address (again, please do not give them mine once you have it), and I will contact them with the link. My way of keeping track of who has a copy.

Finally, I ask that anyone who downloads it and then reads it, please email me back with your feedback. There is no charge for this document - 100% free - in case you were wondering. Some have suggested I look into publishing future trip reports, since they are almost book-length, so this is my way of testing the waters, getting feedback from my friends here on Cruise Critic, and seeing what works and what doesn't. That's all I ask: let me know what you think of it when you finish reading it. :)

So with all that said, expect a message that the PDF is ready in the next few days. And if you have any questions on the document, this report or anything to do with the trip, please post it here.

Thanks! :D

Quick update: The reason this report took so long to post - about one day each day - wasn't just from writing it all out as detailed as I could (for better or worse), but also because I was creating a full document I had other plans for.

And those plans are to make this into a PDF file with dozens and dozens of pictures. I have added some additional details, edited for my silly spelling and grammar mistakes (though like any self-editor, I may still miss a few), etc.

The end result? It's in final editing now and weighs in at 265 pages and about 66mbs.

Now please note I will NOT be posting the PDF or a link to the PDF here on the board. Instead, I will make a note here when it is ready, and then anyone who is interested can either post their email address if they feel comfortable, or can message me here on the board. I will then email you a private link to download the file from my Dropbox account.

A couple of notes: First, I will NOT use your email address for anything other than to send you a link. I will keep your address private, and I ask you do the same with the address I email you from.

I also ask that you do not copy or duplicate the trip report. If you know of someone who wants a copy, please email me their email address (again, please do not give them mine once you have it), and I will contact them with the link. My way of keeping track of who has a copy.

Finally, I ask that anyone who downloads it and then reads it, please email me back with your feedback. There is no charge for this document - 100% free - in case you were wondering. Some have suggested I look into publishing future trip reports, since they are almost book-length, so this is my way of testing the waters, getting feedback from my friends here on Cruise Critic, and seeing what works and what doesn't. That's all I ask: let me know what you think of it when you finish reading it. :)

So with all that said, expect a message that the PDF is ready in the next few days. And if you have any questions on the document, this report or anything to do with the trip, please post it here.

Thanks! :D

How do you message someone on these boards? I thought you could not do that.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How do you message someone on these boards? I thought you could not do that.

You are absolutely correct - I thought for sure Cruise Critic had that ability, but upon researching it appears it is turned off. You can actually get to where you can PM a person in your contact list, but if you try it, it brings up an error message.

No worries - once I have the PDF ready to release, I'll post exactly how to get me email addresses for the link. Not a problem. :)

Thanks for the info!

You are absolutely correct - I thought for sure Cruise Critic had that ability, but upon researching it appears it is turned off. You can actually get to where you can PM a person in your contact list, but if you try it, it brings up an error message.

No worries - once I have the PDF ready to release, I'll post exactly how to get me email addresses for the link. Not a problem. :)

Thanks for the info!

No, thank you. Awesome trip report and cannot wait for the PDF. Going on Oasis next year so researching like crazy. Your scanned docs are a big help.

Although I promised myself to only read Oasis Western reviews, I had to read yours to the end, and would love to see the photos as part of the PDF. I really think that a nicely detailed, well written review like yours would make a great Ebook (especially with some additional pointers/maps, etc). Hopefully you can work out a way to distribute it without having a list of email addresses (even slightly obscured) posted in public (too much spamming!).

Two options - easiest is just to create a temporary gmail account people can email to to sign up. More complicated would have people signup to discussion group set to keep email addresses visible only to the moderator where people could then also discuss the PDF there, offer comments, suggestions.

Whichever way, I hope to eventually read it!

Hi All!

The PDF of the report, with pictures, should be ready sometime this week - no later than Friday afternoon.

If you are interested in receiving a link to download the file, please email me at cctripreport-at-att-dot-net. (just delete the dashes, replace the at with @ and the dot with .) If you feel comfortable doing so, you can post your email address here in this thread as a reply and I will send you the link as well.

As soon as my final edit is finished, I will email anyone interested the link to download the PDF.

Please remember what I posted earlier:

I will NOT use your email address for anything other than to send you a link. I will keep your address private.

I also ask that you do not copy or duplicate the trip report. If you know of someone who wants a copy, please email me their email address or have them email me directly at the above address, and I will contact them with the link. My way of keeping track of who has a copy.

Finally, I ask that anyone who downloads it and then reads it, please email me back with your feedback. There is no charge for this document - 100% free - in case you were wondering. Some have suggested I look into publishing future trip reports, since they are almost book-length, so this is my way of testing the waters, getting feedback from my friends here on Cruise Critic, and seeing what works and what doesn't. That's all I ask: let me know what you think of it when you finish reading it.

Edited by marklodi

Earlier in the week, I had made reservations with Yellow Cab on their website for a 9:45am pickup. Sure enough, at 9:40am I received a text saying the driver was just a mile away, then another saying he was arriving. A few seconds later, here comes our cab. Another couple had also been waiting outside and tried to take the cab, but the driver asked them their name, then shook his head and came up to me. I confirmed our reservation and he loaded us up. The other couple stared at us, and I just smiled back.

I had not heard of that service and the texting status to you. I've sailed out of that port several times and that is a real convienance for a busy port day and good customer service on his part.

Day Four – Tuesday, May 13th: Falmouth, Jamaica It was time to meet up, and the rain had begun, coming down pretty good now. We got into the bus and settled in for the 45 minute drive to Chukka Beach. When we arrived, the rain had let up and we had the opportunity to rent lockers for $5, which given they would not let us take cameras with us and we had out towels for the swim part of the tour, we took advantage of.….

Excellent reading! So many times I wanted to stop and make some comment, but you anticipated it and made the comment yourself (Wife between your legs holding on to the small handle)

Anyway I started reading because A, I read all reviews in case it may come in handy, B, We may try Oasis someday and C I am going on Freedom on a similar itinerary that will take me to Fallmouth for the first time. I've never done a horseride beach excursion and this paragraph caught my interest. What was the reason for no cameras? Was it so they could sell you photos, or was it because of the water and rough terrain? Could I take my wrist mounted GOPRO?

Ok, I read further and saw they did sell photos. On another similar excursion I was allowed to use my GOPRO if I promised to buy the photos as well. I'll pay $30 for those and then enjoy my video (maybe) Was this an RC sponsored excursion?

Edited by BillOh

We were off the ship at 8am and headed to the meeting spot for our Dolphin Encounter at Chankanab Park in Cozumel..

Here, I'll interject and see I've never been to Chankanab Park, but am thinking about it as I heard you can Scuba Dive there and I'll be with non-divers. I'll also add I'm not a big fan of dolphin encounters, but on our last trip there in 2012 the girls did one through RC. The company was called Dolphinaria or something like that. They have a location about a mile up the beach from the pier. They also forbid pictures, but I noticed a bunch of people ignoring that and nobody accosting them about it. They did let you dry off after and you could go to the photo purchase place at your leisure. Their prices were much more reasonable and for about $100 you got all the photos and a DVD which had mostly stock footage, but a little of your encounter. I purchased that to help validate the 50 or 60 pictures I took on my own. :o FWIW

His nose wrinkled up and he said, “Oh. Cruise Critic.” Like it was a bad thing. He then looked out at the rest of the audience and asked if there were any other people on Cruise Critic here. He almost said it like he expected it just to be me and perhaps to embarrass me. To his surprise – clear on his face – several hands went up. “Oh,” he said, “That many. Well good for you.” And with that he ended the session, as if we didn’t exist. I found it amusing, though found several people looking our direction when we stood up. Very strange treatment and reaction. After all, there were over 70 people signed up this week for the Meet & Mingle, so I know he knew we were on board. Just a little bizarre. Oh well..

There was so much useful information in here, I've passed on commenting on much, but I thought I would touch on this one.

You have so much detail, it can't be questioned. Most of the time when the subject of Cruise critic comes up, its mostly been good or light hearted. Elvis the current Activities Director on Jewel said, Management shows him anytime his name is mentioned (Hi Elvis) Anyway most of the time they mention it in a light hearted or positive way. Maybe this person has been blasted a few times.

Wonderful review Mark! I totally agree with you, we always take the time to get to know the crew and have many email addresses of new friends. Many of the crew members have left their family. I will never forget Pearl, we spoke to her our first night in the schooner bar and learned that her mother was taking care of her precious 2 year old daughter while she worked on the ship to make a better life for her. The next evening she was anxiously waiting for us to arrive so that she could show us pictures of her baby - she was due for a break in 2 weeks so that she could see her. We would chat with her early in the morning when she helped in the dining room, and again late into the night while she worked in the bar. Good, hardworking people - please take the time to hear their stories.

Wonderful review Mark! I totally agree with you' date=' we always take the time to get to know the crew and have many email addresses of new friends. Many of the crew members have left their family. I will never forget Pearl, we spoke to her our first night in the schooner bar and learned that her mother was taking care of her precious 2 year old daughter while she worked on the ship to make a better life for her. The next evening she was anxiously waiting for us to arrive so that she could show us pictures of her baby - she was due for a break in 2 weeks so that she could see her. We would chat with her early in the morning when she helped in the dining room, and again late into the night while she worked in the bar. Good, hardworking people - please take the time to hear their stories.[/quote']

Absolutely! I couldn't agree more. In fact, Maria who we mention in the report? She just added us as friends on her Facebook page today and I posted the picture I took with her. So happy to talk to her again. :D

Hi all!

Quick update: The PDF Version is finished and for those who emailed me your addresses, I will be sending you the link to download in a little bit. If anyone else would like a copy, please email me at cctripreport-at-att-dot-net. (just delete the dashes, replace the at with @ and the dot with .) If you feel comfortable doing so, you can post your email address here in this thread as a reply and I will send you the link as well.

Please also see my requests regarding the file earlier in this thread, and if you have any comments or questions, please email me or post them here.

Once again, thank you to everyone for your kind words and compliments on the report. It was a true labor of love and really helped lock in the memories from this wonderful cruise.

Take care! :D

Edited by marklodi