Has the Bacon thread been deleted?

Katgoesonholiday

Posted here because the original bacon thread is closed...

The non-American bacon lovers seem to think that bacon is eaten with a fork, it's a finger food. As such it must be crispy so it doesn't fall limp and yes, it will go flying across the table if you try to spear it. Do you eat crackers with a fork?

As far as the health concerns...crisp bacon is better for you because all of the fat has melted away. On the buffet, I find most the bacon isn't fried enough; i.e. not crisp enough; i.e. not American enough. :D

Well we are the melting pot so it takes all kinds.

You must have a devil of a time to ask every resturant you have any sort of bacon product to say, and can you make my bacon raw please. : D As bacon is served, unless its the canadian bacon on the egg mcmuffin, in the standard and proper American crispy style.

Maybe, there's misunderstanding on my part. :confused: Frying bacon so the fat isn't completely raw, but still partially limp, is how I eat & am often served bacon. When it's so crispy that it snaps to the touch, it's too done for many of us. Are we calling both styles crispy? If so, I agree that's American bacon. If not, it's individual preference & perhaps some regions or families prefer a common cooking consistency.

American & European bacon often appear to be a different cut of meat. Theirs has less fat, which would be preferable to me, but hard to find in the US. That's the biggest difference I've noticed in the great bacon debate. :D

Posted here because the original bacon thread is closed...

The non-American bacon lovers seem to think that bacon is eaten with a fork, it's a finger food. As such it must be crispy so it doesn't fall limp and yes, it will go flying across the table if you try to spear it. Do you eat crackers with a fork?

As far as the health concerns...crisp bacon is better for you because all of the fat has melted away. On the buffet, I find most the bacon isn't fried enough; i.e. not crisp enough; i.e. not American enough. : D

Now, I see you all are fanning the flames & feeding into misconceptions. ;) No wonder there's so much back & forth. Buffet bacon in the US is often not crispy (cooked, yes; crispy, no). That's the only way I can eat it. I do see people pushing it all around looking for bacon that's falling to pieces due to being fried too long (or too long, IMO). Other places cook it crispy, so some of us just eat sausage. Regardless, how we prepare &/or eat our bacon is one thing we're still free to choose in the US. :p There's no universal, American style.

ETA: I don't know how anyone could confuse Canadian bacon with regular bacon, but I guess it's possible. :confused:

Edited by tarheelmjfan