Can't decide...Cockleshell or Carambola Beach

Nana57

I will try to post pictures of Cockelshell. We loved it there. Though the ride is a little further than South Friar's Beach, the ride is scenic. We are taking a catamaran tour this time. I didn't thinks the snorkeling at Cockelshell was great; however, you will have the opportunity to see Nevis from there.

Carambola was wonderful. We reserved 2 chairs and an umbrella - arrived at 9:30 and had our pick of the beach. Definitely do reservations. the beach was full by 11 or so. Was was crystal clear, beach was clean, they took our drink order, and there is also a bar and full service restaurant. We got a taxi at the port arranged for him to come back and pick us up. Clean, nice restrooms and showers. No one harassing you on the beach. Probably about a 15-20 min drive - a beautiful drive, though. No water toys like trampolines of mountains to climb, so not really for the kids. Just sand, chairs, and beautiful blue water.

Which beach would you recommend and which would be a shorter drive from the port?

We enjoyed our day at Carambola in March. Beach is more upscale than Cockleshell. They have brand new cushion lounge chairs and an umbrella cost is $30. No need for water shoes at Carambola, which you'll need for other beaches in St. Kitts. We ate at their restaurant, food, service and drinks were very good. Looking forward to going back to Carambola in January. If interested, I would suggest emailing them in reserving chairs and an umbrella.

We walked down to the other end of the beach which you'll find another place to eat called Shipwreck. Beach is small with black volcanic sand, prices to eat there were less than Carambola. They have old chairs to rent, 2 for $10 and thatched umbrellas. You'll need water shoes here as the sand get very hot. Bring cash, Taxi is $4 pp.

We enjoyed our day at Carambola in March. Beach is more upscale than Cockleshell. They have brand new cushion lounge chairs and an umbrella cost is $30. No need for water shoes at Carambola, which you'll need for other beaches in St. Kitts. We ate at their restaurant, food, service and drinks were very good. Looking forward to going back to Carambola in January. If interested, I would suggest emailing them in reserving chairs and an umbrella.

We walked down to the other end of the beach which you'll find another place to eat called Shipwreck. Beach is small with black volcanic sand, prices to eat there were less than Carambola. They have old chairs to rent, 2 for $10 and thatched umbrellas. You'll need water shoes here as the sand get very hot. Bring cash, Taxi is $4 pp.

Was that the entire price for Carambola beach day or just for the umbrella. Is the sand also blackish like Shipwreck Beach? Thanks for any info

Was that the entire price for Carambola beach day or just for the umbrella. Is the sand also blackish like Shipwreck Beach? Thanks for any info

The $30 is the price for two chairs and an umbrella. food is extra. the sand is white and soft. I just wrote a Jewel of the Seas review with a lot of pictures. The link is above and in my signature. We were there a couple of weeks ago. The Carambola Beach part of the review begins with Post #48.

Cambrola is a bar on the same beach as the Shipwreck Bar. One is at each end. I have also been to Cockshell beach. Cockshell as the name says full of shells, while it is very pretty, it is not as nice swimming beach. The shells are very thick in places and I found them very hard on the feet in the water. In December we are going back to the cambrola. The have nicer chairs and facilities then the shipwreck.

The $30 is the price for two chairs and an umbrella. food is extra. the sand is white and soft. I just wrote a Jewel of the Seas review with a lot of pictures. The link is above and in my signature. We were there a couple of weeks ago. The Carambola Beach part of the review begins with Post #48.

Who did you email to reserve the two chairs and umbrella?

Thank you both.. If you rent the chairs/umbrella from them are they ok with that or do they expect you to order food from them? I'm thinking we may walk down the beach some to get some cheaper food then walk back when done..There are 4 of us & I think it would be fairly pricey for us to eat there..

You are not obligated to eat there. I did love having the food delivered right to my chair, though. It was just the cap on an already delightful experience.

Thank you! Glad you had a great time there..Looking forward to taking the family there in 2015. Maybe we can split some food. :)

We were just at Cockleshell in April. We went there to snorkel and found the snorkeling on the left very good! I have pictures of the area above and below water here:

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2014/05/2014-april-11-22-maasdam-southern.html

it was our 2nd port day after 3 sea days, so you may have to skim down a ways to get to it.

• 2 weeks later...

We went to Cockleshell and it was one of my favorite cruising days ever. The ride to the beach is probably 40 minutes, so it's on the longer end, but I'd do it again any day. Heck, I would pay just to drive there and back, the ride was that gorgeous. It went all over the mountains, you'd see a long, windy switchback road way off in a mountain and before you knew it, you'd be ON that road! You get to stop at that famous point in St Kitts where you can see the Caribbean sea and Atlantic ocean and the view is just breathtaking. St Kitts is my favorite island in the Bahamas+Caribbean and Cockleshell beach was a big part of that.

The beach itself has a very stereotypical beach bar, decent restrooms, etc. Prices are what you'd expect, on the higher end, but the food was good and drinks were delicious. The view was pretty unbeatable and lots of wildlife: we saw green monkeys, mountain goats, lots of fish, a cat that wanders the beach chair area looking for scraps, etc.

We got rained out a bit toward the end of the afternoon but even that was an experience. One of my fondest vacation memories, I can't wait to be back! I'm sure you won't be disappointed, whichever place you pick, though. St Kitts is just an amazing place!