Will Carnival let me do this?

Dizzneefan

We are planning a 7 night cruise to Alaska next June (2015). It will be a party of 11, ranging from 11 to a very youthful 83 year old. In dates close to the cruise, we are having different events to celebrate--graduation, birthdays, anniversaries, so I am thinking about having a special night for each person or couple. For example, I would place photographs and small decorations for anniversaries, mortar board for graduation, etc. and have the "guest of honor" have a special seat each night at our table.

You think they would allow this since it will not be Carnival setting up the small decorations?

BTW it's our 30th anniversary so DW and i would have a night too---but she knows nothing about this.

Edited by Dizzneefan

Since there are 11 in your party there should be no other guests at your table. I don't think there would be a problem with what you are planning. If I may, I would suggest you keep things to a minimum as the table space is limited. We had a party of 8 at one of the long tables in the rear of the Baucus by the windows. There was not much extra room. I wish you the most wonderful of cruises! We have done Alaska twice and I am ready to go again.

We are planning a 7 night cruise to Alaska next June (2015). It will be a party of 11, ranging from 11 to a very youthful 83 year old. In dates close to the cruise, we are having different events to celebrate--graduation, birthdays, anniversaries, so I am thinking about having a special night for each person or couple. For example, I would place photographs and small decorations for anniversaries, mortar board for graduation, etc. and have the "guest of honor" have a special seat each night at our table.

You think they would allow this since it will not be Carnival setting up the small decorations?

BTW it's our 30th anniversary so DW and i would have a night too---but she knows nothing about this.

I think its a wonderful idea. I'm just wondering how you could get into the dining room and to your table before the guest(s) on honor gets there.

There's also a difference in planning if you select early, late or YTD... early might be best for getting in and setting up the surprise at the table... late might be tough since they might just be clearing the table from the early seating... YTD you don't have a pre-assigned table... I'd talk to the Maitre d' when on board and ask for advice on how to do it...

We are always Early Diner's and yes, the decorations will be small. I doubt I'll have much room to pack any larger items, so it will be more suggestive and just something do add to the fun.

And I would only do this is we had a table to ourselves. I can't imagine we will have more and would not want them to fill neglected if not included or recognized if we did have others sitting with us.

We have done this without issue. Just let your head waiter know.

We have also done special door decorations. When my daughter graduated, we hung a special banner on her door and attached a pen. Lots of other cruisers stopped and wrote her a note of congratulations. On my last cruise (2 weeks ago on Sensation) someone stole our door decorations though.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We are always Early Diner's and yes, the decorations will be small. I doubt I'll have much room to pack any larger items, so it will be more suggestive and just something do add to the fun.

And I would only do this is we had a table to ourselves. I can't imagine we will have more and would not want them to fill neglected if not included or recognized if we did have others sitting with us.

You sound like easy-going reasonable folks, so I am sure that it will work out fine with a little arranging. A few things to ponder,

1. What if they split your group into two tables (quite possible for a large group if they only have 8-top tables).

2. Are all of the bookings linked? If not you could end up being seated all over the dining room. If not, then calling the cruise line would resolve this one as they can then link the bookings.

3. I read some time back somewhere on this forum about a group that wanted to hold group-toasts and speeches at their dining table in the evenings, and they were "shushing" people at surrounding tables. Of course the other tables seemed to ignore them, but it could get irritating for all parties when this situation arises. As I said you sound like easy-going folks, so I am sure you would not be "shushing" the surrounding tables :)

I don't see how this would be an issue since it shouldn't affect service at all or disturb other diners.

I would also do door decorations to match your occasions. That's fun even if you aren't celebrating something :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sound like easy-going reasonable folks, so I am sure that it will work out fine with a little arranging. A few things to ponder,

1. What if they split your group into two tables (quite possible for a large group if they only have 8-top tables).

If we are split I will probably change plans and have a little celebration somewhere on ship perhaps in our cabin if not TOO crowded. We have an extended aft cabin but we could not all fit there LOL !

2. Are all of the bookings linked? If not you could end up being seated all over the dining room. If not, then calling the cruise line would resolve this one as they can then link the bookings.

They are not all linked yet. I called Carnival yesterday but was missing the PIN of one of the parties so was not able to link them. However she knew how many would be in the party so I am hoping we will all 11 be at one table

3. I read some time back somewhere on this forum about a group that wanted to hold group-toasts and speeches at their dining table in the evenings, and they were "shushing" people at surrounding tables. Of course the other tables seemed to ignore them, but it could get irritating for all parties when this situation arises. As I said you sound like easy-going folks, so I am sure you would not be "shushing" the surrounding tables

I would never think of interfering with there guests by shushing them. They deserve their time to have fun as much as anyone else without being asked to be quiet

Good, it sounds like you have a handle on things. One thing you can also do once you board the ship is to go down to the dining room around lunch time that first day and ask if you can check the table that is reserved for your group. It will give you a better idea on location and whether you need to make any other plans. Happy cruising.

I'm not sure that they would necessarily be too enthusiastic about getting into the DR early to decorate, it's a pretty busy place getting set up for dinner.

I guess if you brought the decorations with you and they weren't too elaborate and you took them completely away after your meal, they wouldn't say anything.

I certainly wouldn't use any glitter or confetti or anything that would cause the waitstaff problems in getting set up for the next service.

What a great idea! Yes, talk to your head waiter. They will usually accommodate that. And if you have someone in your party to "delay" the unwitting person, you will have extra time if you get there right when the doors open. My ex-MIL surprised me one year by having pics on the table & decorations she had brought with her. The head waitress was in on it & had let her in a few minutes early. MIL had let our kids in on the surprise so they delayed me from getting to the DR "on time", thereby giving grandma extra time to set up.

As far as split tables, once you link your reservation, I know from experience that they will try to get one big table for your group. In the past, with 11 or 14 in our group, they have offered a small table off to the side and it was great for the kids to sit at, with the adults at the bigger table. However, even with split tables, as long as your reservations are linked, they should be right next to each other in the DR. Have a blast!

We were able to do this with no problem. Birthday hats at each place setting and party plates for the birthday cake we ordered. We delayed the birthday girl for only 5 minutes and 2 tables of 10 were set up by the DD's in less than 5 minutes. The Carnival dining staff had no problem with this and quickly got into the spirit of the night.

On another evening we provided everyone with a glow in the dark necklace and bracelet. We set them at each one's seat.

Different cruise- Celebrating parent's 60th anniversary, we made a door poster that said "Just Married" (with a picture of them that had been taken close to the sailing date), then put .... (in big dots). Under that we wrote "60 years ago" and placed a copy of their wedding picture. This became a great conversation piece and brought them many congratulatory wishes.

Edited by Smiling Cruiser
spelling