Tarragona, Spain

JVNYC

Good day everyone. I'm looking at a Riviera sailing next summer and the Barcelona stop is listed as Tarragona. I've done a little digging through Cruise Critic and I see that Tarragona is used when the Port of Barcelona is full. After doing a little more digging I see that Tarragona looks like a nice stop in itself, perhaps a pleasant surprise.

Has anyone ever visited Tarragona? It looks like Sitiges is also close by (on the way to Barcelona). Anyone ever visited there as well?

Thanks!

Good day everyone. I'm looking at a Riviera sailing next summer and the Barcelona stop is listed as Tarragona. I've done a little digging through Cruise Critic and I see that Tarragona is used when the Port of Barcelona is full. After doing a little more digging I see that Tarragona looks like a nice stop in itself, perhaps a pleasant surprise.

as anyone ever visited Tarragona? It looks like Sitiges is also close by (on the way to Barcelona). Anyone ever visited there as well?

Thanks!

The entire coast is beautiful but unless you've been to Barcelona before I would say don't bother because there is so much to see and do in Barcelona.

Otherwise, the beach towns are very nice to visit.

Edited by orchestrapal

We were in Barcelona and Tarragona at the beginning of May for a business trip. We spent 3 nights in Barsa (vacation) and then 2 weeks in Tarragona for work.

Both are unique and different- and depending upon what you want to see you will be pleased with either port. Both have many wonderful little restaurants with authentic Catalan tapas, wines, or other types of food.

Barcelona is of course the more famous city with the Gaudi Church and many Gothic Cathedrals and Museums, and the famous La Rambla (and all their famous thieves and pick pockets).

Tarragona is a very pleasant, very small city with their own La Rambla, their own gothic/old quarter, many Roman ruins and museums to visit. It is much more residential, and the tourism is more casual. We did not have any concerns about pick pockets and thieves compared to Barcelona. Spanish, Catalan, and English menus are available, also german and russian!

If your ship docks in Barcelona I would not travel all the way to Tarragona unless you have a very specific desire to see something there. It is about 1.5 hour drive by car or train- if you can get on the express train.

If you dock in Tarragona there is plenty to see and do. I'd be happy to share any information I have, but Trip Advisor is also a great resource.

Edited by makai 7

Thanks for this great info! I'll be in Barcelona this July on Riviera and will be arriving early to spend some time. So I was thinking of just sticking around Tarragona for next year since I'll already be in Barcelona proper this year.

The coastline does look beautiful! Oceania doesn't have their 2015 excursions listed as of yet so I'm curious to see what other things they may offer in that area.