Flying into Ft. Lauderdale but Cruising out of Miami

Hi everyone!

We just booked a Caribbean cruise for July out of Miami, and we found a great deal on airfare flying into Fort Lauderdale. We decided to book the airfare. Our plane is scheduled to land in Ft. Lauderdale the evening before the cruise.

So here's the question: What is the best way to get to the Port of Miami from the Ft. Lauderdale airport (or a Ft. Laud. hotel--suggestions welcome and appreciated!)? And to get back to the Ft. Lauderdale airport after the cruise is over? Rental cars? Private transportation companies?

We are really trying to make these transfer as affordable as possible, and appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks so much!

Well, the advantage of renting a car is that, not only do you have transport from FLL and to the port of Miami, but you can stay at pretty much any hotel in between - thus enabling you to often take advantage lower-priced properties.

Well, the advantage of renting a car is that, not only do you have transport from FLL and to the port of Miami, but you can stay at pretty much any hotel in between - thus enabling you to often take advantage lower-priced properties.

Excellent point! Thank you.

Excellent point! Thank you.

Check SAS shuttle. They offer shuttle from FLL to POM for 15 dollars per person. Less if you have more people.

POM to FLL is the same price.

We have used them a few times and they have been very dependable.

http://www.ridesas.com

Re- Hotel ---- We have used Red Carpet Inn in Ft Lauderdale. It is clean, cheap and they offer free shuttle from airport to hotel.

http://www.redcarpetinns.com/

Edited by swedish weave

Hi everyone!

We just booked a Caribbean cruise for July out of Miami, and we found a great deal on airfare flying into Fort Lauderdale. We decided to book the airfare. Our plane is scheduled to land in Ft. Lauderdale the evening before the cruise.

So here's the question: What is the best way to get to the Port of Miami from the Ft. Lauderdale airport (or a Ft. Laud. hotel--suggestions welcome and appreciated!)? And to get back to the Ft. Lauderdale airport after the cruise is over? Rental cars? Private transportation companies?

We are really trying to make these transfer as affordable as possible, and appreciate any help you can offer. Thanks so much!

We have done this route a couple of times. Our preference is to stay at Embassy Suites FLL (booking through Hilton Honors) and using SAS shuttle from the hotel to the port and back to either the hotel or the airport.

JMO

But I would get the transfer over with first. There are lots of hotels near the Miami pier. That way you can sleep in and have a good breakfast before you head to the ship.

We are Embassy Suites fans and there is one in the Miami area.

That makes a lot of sense as well! Thanks again, I will update you all when we've made a decision!

Check over on the ports of call board . . . That's were the pros reside. IIRC, it's not as easy to get from FLL to a hotel in Miami as it is to get from either FLL or a nearby hotel to POM. I don 't think SAS will go from FLL to a Miami hotel, but they do pick up at Ft. Lauderdale hotels and drop off at POM.

Edited by CPT Trips

Check over on the ports of call board . . . That's were the pros reside. IIRC, it's not as easy to get from FLL to a hotel in Miami as it is to get from either FLL or a nearby hotel to POM. I don 't think SAS will go from FLL to a Miami hotel, but they do pick up at Ft. Lauderdale hotels and drop off at POM.

We flew into Ft Lauderdale in Feb and used SAS transportation. They took us from the airport to Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Great location for one night pre cruise. Right across the street from Bayside Market Place which has lots of places to eat and shop. Short cab ride to the ship in the morning.

I think it is opposite. It is expensive to get from MIA to Fort Lauderdale. SAS is not allowed pickups or drop-offs at MIA. We took a shuttle from a Miami hotel to the port at Fort Lauderdale - it was $25pp. I have also had a private car from MIA to Fort Lauderdale hotel - that was $90.

We flew into Ft Lauderdale in Feb and used SAS transportation. They took us from the airport to Holiday Inn Port of Miami. Great location for one night pre cruise. Right across the street from Bayside Market Place which has lots of places to eat and shop. Short cab ride to the ship in the morning.

When we went the cost for the ride from FLL to the Holiday Inn Port of Miami was $15 each. Going from to FLL was also $15.

I think it is opposite. It is expensive to get from MIA to Fort Lauderdale. SAS is not allowed pickups or drop-offs at MIA. We took a shuttle from a Miami hotel to the port at Fort Lauderdale - it was $25pp. I have also had a private car from MIA to Fort Lauderdale hotel - that was $90.

SAS can and does pick up at POM and can take you to FLL. Check their website.

Also, hotels are usually less costly at Ft Lauderdale.

The ride from Ft Lauderdale to Port of Miami is about 30 to 45 minutes. Same going from Port of Miami to Ft Lauderdale airport. SAS price is $15 or less per person depending on the number of people.

Edited by swedish weave

SAS can and does pick up at POM and can take you to FLL. Check their website.

Also, hotels are usually less costly at Ft Lauderdale.

The ride from Ft Lauderdale to Port of Miami is about 30 to 45 minutes. Same going from Port of Miami to Ft Lauderdale airport. SAS price is $15 or less per person depending on the number of people.

By MIA I mean the Miami airport - not the cruise terminal. SAS stopped serving MIA a few years ago.

This February my husband and I flew into Miami (after our son's wedding in Cancun) and needed to get to Ft. lauderdale to sail on the Emerald Princess. We did some research and couldn't find any shuttles to do it and taxi was way too expensive. I stumbled upon a thread here on Cruise critic where someone took the tri-rail. So we decided to give it a try. It was about a $10 taxi ride to the station from our hotel. We bought the ticket at the kiosk right there at the station. They were only $3.75 each. It was an easy transfer onto the train and there was a lot of racks for your luggage, and our car even had a restroom. In the middle of the day on a week day the train was less than 25% full. We took another $10 cab ride to our hotel in Ft. Lauderdale. We couldn't believe how smoothly it went. We did hear from the locals that it does not run on time very often, but we had practically to whole day to do it. Just one option for your consideration. Have a great cruise.

Edited by Dusie