Bankrupt at Northwest? Sept. date apparently.

I had tickets for my daughter on nwa to meet me in Calif for a weekend in Oct......they changed her flight times on all four flights and I had just found out about the strike ect and did not like the times so we put on hold a flight on american and then called nwa and told them we did not approve of the time change and wanted our money back. They offered a full refund which we took and I rebooked her on American....

for the person who has the tickets and rebooked.....cross ur fingers and hope they change your times and then ask for $$ back.....maybe it'll work for u too.

Flying is always hard when there is airlines that have problems..we fly a lot for business too and it's tough to never know whether u go or not...

We've gotten caught in the "blue flu" at Cmas time with a $10,000 cruise on the line but thankfully we ended up flying.....I always leave myself enough time between flight and cruise time that I could drive there if I had toooo

1.I don't. I disagree with a government that allows me to have to work 60 hours a week and says it is illegal for me to get OT. I don't hold that against union workers. Almost no one under the age of 30 has a pension unless they are in a union. Most companies have gotten rid of them flat out. My beef about the sikc time lies soley with my employer. I'm just saying that people should put things in perspective. If it's so bad, leave! That's what I did and I'm starting a new job (mind you not a lot has changed, but it's a beeter working enviroment).

2.Did you not read the guy's post who I was referring to? He has a 401k and has had one with matching for some time.

3.I understand why unions were created. Heck, I have lived my whole life in Detroit, which is where the UAW was born. I think they had a place. I don't think they do so much now. There are other labor laws present now that weren't back then. I couldn't begin to explain in here the effect the unions are having on our economy here and this isn't the place for it...

4.These two sentences do not make sense together. As I stated, not all union people are like the girl I mentioned. I never said ALL union people take advantage of the system, I said she does. So what logic is that? You make no sense.

5.If that is the case, why did the unions walk away from the table? It's like they want to strike. Even if the company won't budge, I would think the reps owe it to the employees who need money and healthcare to try to talk until they can't talk anymore.... I would be ticked to hear that my side just gave up because they were frustrated and walked away. Guess that's just me.

1.As a salaried exempt IT person ( currently downsized by the way) I agree -

WHY do I by virtue of my degree, get classified as not being eligible for OT. Worse still my employers in the past thought if I didn't work those crazy hours for free ( even though they got paid by the clients) I was Cheating them.

2. I was very surprised that one of the companies I worked for recently ( who moved to Washington state) had a Pension plan - non contributory AND a 401k match. even though I was there less than 5 years as were many others - they bumped everyone up to 5 years so that at some point we would collect some pension benefits - ( There is a switch)

3. I agree with why unions were created in the 20s and 30s - and I also agree that any company that still has a union today probably deserved it.

BUT I also believe that in many cases unions have outlived their usefullness and serve to line the pockets of the officers not to help the members.

4. I would also agree - if you don;t like the company you work for - vote with your feet and move on.

But here's their press release about it...

Updated: August 9, 2005

Northwest Airlines is pleased that the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association's (AMFA) has agreed to continue National Mediation Board (NMB)-hosted negotiations in Washington, D.C. next week.

Northwest wants to reach a consensual agreement, in advance of the August 20 deadline, that provides wage and benefit levels that are fair to its AMFA employees while allowing Northwest to stem its record operating losses. The company continues to believe that it is in the best interest of employees for the two parties to meet in order to reach an agreement.

Northwest must realize at least $1.1 billion in annual labor cost savings in order to restructure successfully. In addition to negotiations with AMFA, Northwest is in federal mediation with The International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers (IAM) and The Professional Flight Attendants Association (PFAA). Also, the airline is in discussions with representatives of its other unions.

I may get seriously flamed here, but I just do not understand the mentality of a union that will strike a company on the brink of failure. Do they think the management is lying? Look at all the big airlines. The industry has some serious problems. If the job is so bad you can't stand to go to work, leave; don't cost thousands of other people their jobs.

This topic hits near and dear to me. My father is a United Airlines employee. He has worked for the company for 18 years and has faced just about every type of cut to his salary, pension, and other benefits. Yes the company is in bankrupcy yet the upper management of the airline claims to be taking pay cuts but at the same time is awarding themselves bonuses (Tilton CEO of United- $763,000 salary + Success Sharing Bonus of $366,000) Now how is there success when the company is still "not making money".

United has also downsized it's staff, a dear friend of our family with 20 years at United lost her job, because of the restructuring of the company. Please don't blame the employees of the airline for the striking and such. No one I know wants to strike. That is a vote that happens through out the country and usually is a pretty close race. There are alot of hard working people that work for these big airlines, so please don't lump them all into a group that hates their jobs and strikes about everything.

Archived