Confused with Carnival

kurukthemal

I currently saw that our sailing on the Pride dropped again. So, I called the TA and he said Carnival would only offer us anything if we were a past guest. We aren't...this is our FIRST Carnival cruise.

Being in sales myself, I would think you would want to make the first cruise experience amazing, so people like me would come on to CC and extol the virtues of an incredible experience that included how accommodating they were with price drops.

So, that isn't the case and my experience is less than wonderful. We are still looking forward to the cruise and can't wait until we see the clear blue waters of the Bahamas again. But for Carnival...meh.

IF the fare sale is specifically for past guests then why should you receive the discount if this is your first cruise?

That makes no sense at all!

IF the sale is not for past guests then the TA made an error. I'd look carefully at the web site to see the situation and then if you think a mistake was made call back and speak to someone else.

I booked my first cruise with a TA, and found out that I had to stay on her to get the price reductions. I would research it myself to make sure I had the correct information, and would have to hold her feet to the fire to get it done, since I could only go through the TA. Not saying all TA's are like that. I have since booked with Carnival's PVP's and had a much more pleasant experience with price drops, submitting them myself as well as just taking a screen shot and emailing it to my PVP. Just my opinion, but I would do some research and get back in touch with your TA.

I currently saw that our sailing on the Pride dropped again. So, I called the TA and he said Carnival would only offer us anything if we were a past guest. We aren't...this is our FIRST Carnival cruise.

Being in sales myself, I would think you would want to make the first cruise experience amazing, so people like me would come on to CC and extol the virtues of an incredible experience that included how accommodating they were with price drops.

So, that isn't the case and my experience is less than wonderful. We are still looking forward to the cruise and can't wait until we see the clear blue waters of the Bahamas again. But for Carnival...meh.

Not sure which rate you are booked under but if it is Early Saver then you would be able to get a price reduction up to two days before sailing for any rate you would normally QUALIFY for ( i.e past guest, senior, residence, etc) . If you do not fall under one of those rates the no you are not due a price reduction.

I personally think the Early Saver rate Carnival has is a great deal and I have been able to get a number of price drops in the past.

As with any other cruise line, you need to understand the terms under which you are booked so that you don't miss anything you are due.

I do hope you have a wonderful cruise!

I booked my first cruise with a TA, and found out that I had to stay on her to get the price reductions. I would research it myself to make sure I had the correct information, and would have to hold her feet to the fire to get it done, since I could only go through the TA. Not saying all TA's are like that. I have since booked with Carnival's PVP's and had a much more pleasant experience with price drops, submitting them myself as well as just taking a screen shot and emailing it to my PVP. Just my opinion, but I would do some research and get back in touch with your TA.

Where's the "Like" button when you need one?

I have a feeling that if we'd gone through a TA instead of booking it ourselves through Carnival, we would have had the same problem. Fortunately, before our first ever cruise we went to a travel agency that was highly recommended. The TA seemed bored with us though and wanted to talk more about the places he'd been, etc than about the cruise we wanted to take. Hubby and I walked out of there and said, "Well that was definately NON helpful!", went home and booked the darn thing ourselves.

It seems like you're inside the penalty phase. That means NO onboard credits or price adjustments if the prices drop. The only way around it is if you have booked an Early Saver rate which will allow price adjustments until a few days prior to sailing. But based on what you wrote, it seems as if you didn't book under this rate.

About your TA's comment concerning past guests: If prices drop inside penalty, and you're not booked under Early Saver, AND you're a past guest, Carnival will allow an upgrade free of charge. However, if you're NOT a past guest, you can't get an upgrade free of charge. BUT you could still upgrade by paying the price difference. For example:

Say that you paid $500 for standard window stateroom. Prices drop and an 8A balcony stateroom is now priced at $500, and an 8B balcony is now priced at $510.

As a first time cruiser, Carnival will NOT let you upgrade for free to the 8A balcony because you're not generating any revenue, but they will allow you to upgrade to the 8B balcony by paying the $10 difference.

So if you can find the next category currently priced HIGHER than what you paid for your cruise, you can upgrade by paying the difference. This is really all you can do at this point in time.

This rule was revised last year after the Carnival Triumph debacle, allowing past guest to upgrade complimentarily should prices drop, but not first timers. I believe that this is what your TA meant when they said that they couldn't do anything for you since it's your first Carnival cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

OP didn't say much - like when the cruise is and what rate they are booked under. If there's a lower price under a past guest rate, then the OP isn't eligible. About the only time it matters if you're a past guest or not, is when that rate is offered. If you're not a past guest obviously you can't get it.

OP didn't say much - like when the cruise is and what rate they are booked under. If there's a lower price under a past guest rate, then the OP isn't eligible. About the only time it matters if you're a past guest or not, is when that rate is offered. If you're not a past guest obviously you can't get it.

Signature indicates 7/20 on Pride.

It seems like you're inside the penalty phase. That means NO onboard credits or price adjustments if the prices drop. The only way around it is if you have booked an Early Saver rate which will allow price adjustments until a few days prior to sailing. But based on what you wrote, it seems as if you didn't book under this rate.

About your TA's comment concerning past guests: If prices drop inside penalty, and you're not booked under Early Saver, AND you're a past guest, Carnival will allow an upgrade free of charge. However, if you're NOT a past guest, you can't get an upgrade free of charge. BUT you could still upgrade by paying the price difference. For example:

Say that you paid $500 for standard window stateroom. Prices drop and an 8A balcony stateroom is now priced at $500, and an 8B balcony is now priced at $510.

As a first time cruiser, Carnival will NOT let you upgrade for free to the 8A balcony because you're not generating any revenue, but they will allow you to upgrade to the 8B balcony by paying the $10 difference.

So if you can find the next category currently priced HIGHER than what you paid for your cruise, you can upgrade by paying the difference. This is really all you can do at this point in time.

This rule was revised last year after the Carnival Triumph debacle, allowing past guest to upgrade complimentarily should prices drop, but not first timers. I believe that this is what your TA meant when they said that they couldn't do anything for you since it's your first Carnival cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Excellent post, Tapi. I didn't know about the rule that you mentioned.

...this is our FIRST Carnival cruise.

You most likely will have an amazing cruise and incredible time aboard the Pride. But being in sales yourself you also must realize that if the only way you are winning a customer is via price, that's the same way you are going to lose that same customer to a competitor.

Not sure which rate you are booked under but if it is Early Saver then you would be able to get a price reduction up to two days before sailing for any rate you would normally QUALIFY for ( i.e past guest, senior, residence, etc) . If you do not fall under one of those rates the no you are not due a price reduction.

I personally think the Early Saver rate Carnival has is a great deal and I have been able to get a number of price drops in the past.

As with any other cruise line, you need to understand the terms under which you are booked so that you don't miss anything you are due.

I do hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Yes, GTO-Girl is correct. If you booked Early Saver rate, you can price match to any rate's price drop, including Past Guest rate. You don't have to be a "past guest" to match that price drop with Early Saver. Sometimes Travel Agents don't want to give you a price drop because that affects their commissions! That is why we book directly with CCL now, and use Early Saver every time.....have received many many price drops in the past.

Yes, GTO-Girl is correct. If you booked Early Saver rate, you can price match to any rate's price drop, including Past Guest rate. You don't have to be a "past guest" to match that price drop with Early Saver. Sometimes Travel Agents don't want to give you a price drop because that affects their commissions! That is why we book directly with CCL now, and use Early Saver every time.....have received many many price drops in the past.

I thought you could only match fares you were eligible for...

Hi

I booked on the Victory and saw a price drop yesterday. My cruise is in 3 weeks and i am not under early saver promo. I called Carnival and they gave me an upgrade for the equivalent of the value. I had done my research and told them what i wanted and the price i saw online. It was a bit complicated but i got exactly what i asked for.

They say they cant give you money but they try to upgrade when they can

Thanks for your comments and I was unaware of the Early Saver booking and will look for that in the future. I understand that if you sell on cost you become a commodity, etc.

My experience comes from our trip last February on RCL Brilliance. On a whim, I called RCL about three weeks before the cruise date and asked if I could get an upgrade that I would have to pay for, perhaps at a reduced cost. My thought was it doesn't hurt to ask. So, I was dumbfounded when the TA came back and said we were upgraded to two balcony staterooms for free. I was like...holy crap that is soo cool. I went and told everyone I knew, posted it on Facebook. How great was RCL to give my little group a free balcony bump?!?! The ship was very good and the quality aspect of the cruise top notch.

So, now we are on Carnival and I have eight people across three staterooms going. I thought I would give it a try and gave them a call. I was surprised that there could be a free bump, but only if I was a past guest. Now its my impression that the best way to get a past guest is to make a first time guest pretty happy. I also realize that it was a Past Guest "rule" or whatever you would call it. However, a company can do whatever it wants...whenever it wants. Also, given the extensive price drops and that FTTF is still available, the ship must not be selling very well. So, why not make a decent group happy and give us the upgrade?

I am very much looking forward to this cruise and the blue waters of the Bahamas. By the end of the summer, I will be lucky enough to have tried DCL, RCL, Carnival and Norwegian. This will determine who gets my non-DCL business. DCL is without question the highest quality line I have sailed with so far, but their prices are crazy high and you have to not mind the mouse.

I also realize that I am one person, with one family and if we choose "x" cruise line, then I am quite sure the others will still survive. Happy Sunday!:)

GTO-Girl did say you can price to any rate you QUALIFY for. The guest did not qualify for Past Guest as it's his first cruise.

I am very much looking forward to this cruise and the blue waters of the Bahamas. By the end of the summer, I will be lucky enough to have tried DCL, RCL, Carnival and Norwegian. This will determine who gets my non-DCL business. DCL is without question the highest quality line I have sailed with so far, but their prices are crazy high and you have to not mind the mouse.

I also realize that I am one person, with one family and if we choose "x" cruise line, then I am quite sure the others will still survive. Happy Sunday!:)

@kurukthemal, your response here indicates to me that you have accepted the situation and will not let it affect your upcoming cruise. I honestly applaud you for this! There are way too many "I will never sail this cruise line again" posts on these boards. I hope you enjoy all your sailings. :) I think whichever cruise line eventually secures your business will be lucky.

Brian

I am one who hasn't researched this and has always paid in full when I book, and I don't have es. Since booking this cruise and frequenting these boards and seeing posts like these, Im now feeling very foolish :/ I don't guess i can call and get onboard credit for the price difference now, as a past guest...right?? Live and learn I suppose.