Trying to make online purchase, CC declined

Mandy

I am attempting to use a Visa gift card to make a purchase on the HAL website for our upcoming cruise. The card has a $100.00 balance. I want to purchase dinner for two at the Pinnacle Grill, which is $58.00 total. My card gets declined. The decline message simply states to use a different card. I wonder if HAL would put a hold on the card over the amount of purchase?

The reason I want to use the Visa gift card it so I can surprise my husband with the reservation. If I use our regular credit card, he will see the charge. Ship Services is open Monday-Friday, so I will call Monday to see if they can help me out. Until then, has anyone experienced this, or do you have any ideas why the card would be declined?

I am attempting to use a Visa gift card to make a purchase on the HAL website for our upcoming cruise. The card has a $100.00 balance. I want to purchase dinner for two at the Pinnacle Grill, which is $58.00 total. My card gets declined. The decline message simply states to use a different card. I wonder if HAL would put a hold on the card over the amount of purchase?

The reason I want to use the Visa gift card it so I can surprise my husband with the reservation. If I use our regular credit card, he will see the charge. Ship Services is open Monday-Friday, so I will call Monday to see if they can help me out. Until then, has anyone experienced this, or do you have any ideas why the card would be declined?

Several years ago I tried to use a gift card to pay toward a cruise with my PCC. It was also declined. I was told that it was because it did not have a name / address associated with it. You may not be able to use the gift card with Ships Services either.

Well, shoot. I'm just venting and understand their policy is their policy. However, here's my vent.

The VISA gift card is registered online with my name and address. The card is charged at the time of purchase, just like any credit card. HAL would have my money immediately, just like any credit card. I find it silly and pointless on their part.

Like I said, I'm just venting. I'm going on a cruise and feel so blessed to have a good life. If I only had the buffet to look forward to, I'd be just as excited about the cruise.

Edited by Mandy
spelling

Is there someone you know who would charge it for you and you just pay them for it...or hand over your cash card to them? Have them order a bottle of wine too while you're at it, to use the entire card.

There were a couple places here at home that wouldn't take the visa gift cards either. At least not when they first became popular.

Edited by eandj

Well, shoot. I'm just venting and understand their policy is their policy. However, here's my vent.

The VISA gift card is registered online with my name and address. The card is charged at the time of purchase, just like any credit card. HAL would have my money immediately, just like any credit card. I find it silly and pointless on their part.

Like I said, I'm just venting. I'm going on a cruise and feel so blessed to have a good life. If I only had the buffet to look forward to, I'd be just as excited about the cruise.

Mandy, I had purchased a $500 gift card to take with us on one of our cruises. It was registered in my name, charged to my credit card but we never used it on our cruise. I tried to using it to purchase airline tickets a few months later, and it was declined. We later used it for dining, clothing, etc. When we had only about $75 left on the card, some retailers wouldn't take it as a partial payment. Only Best Buy would use the remaining balance as a partial payment for a purchase.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

Is there someone you know who would charge it for you and you just pay them for it...or hand over your cash card to them? Have them order a bottle of wine too while you're at it, to use the entire card.

There were a couple places here at home that wouldn't take the visa gift cards either. At least not when they first became popular.

That's a very good idea, eandj. I'll see if my mom will help out and I'll just reimburse her. I'll use my card elsewhere. Thanks!

Good idea. :)

Don't blame you but they have their silly rules even if it doesn't make much sense to any of us.

Great suggestion about using someone else credit card so that you can still surprise you DH.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise and dinner.:)

I certainly understand the reasoning behind not accepting a Visa gift card for airline tickets, car rentals, booking a cruise. But for a prepaid dinner purchase? That is not the same thing at all. It doesn't make sense, but it is what it is.

It has to do with the gift card & its preauthorization method. It's not you. I had an AT&T VISA gift card and thought I would use it to buy OBC. I couldn't use it online with HAL, nor could they do it over the phone. I wound up using it with Amazon instead.

I wish I had a work around for you so your could still work your surprise magic. :(

There is a growing trend with fraud and gift cards. People buy cards, spend them on services then report them stolen some time later. Most have some protection that refund the now "stolen" funds. As this is a service there is no tangible asset that can be tracked, tagged, returned. This can be setup in a way that is nearly anonymous. As you do not need a SSN, proof of identity gift cards are perfect to mask who you are. But with the transaction amounts being low dollar value the law authorities are not interested in perusing. If you notice you will see restaurants are starting not accepting gift Visa,MC,Amex card. HAL is just protecting themselves from this gray area. As much as the credit card companies try to say you can use them like any other cards the details say something else.

Last time I wanted to surprise the DW with a cabin upgrade to a Neptune suite I asked a friend, gave them hard cash plus to cover interest. I could have charged and explained away $20 or $50 but not $1,000+