Did we make a mistake?

Buzeekie

Taking our first ever cruise on Pride in a month. We are going with our two sons, 12 and 9. Sons are prone to motion sickness. When searching for a cruise this seemed reasonable, but I am not seeing too many activities for the kids (they do not want to try kids camp). Also wanted to try swimming with the dolphins but it was booked. Did we make a mistake with this booking? Is it too late to cancel? Thanks in advance

There are plenty of places for them to meet others their age, without using the camps. My kids find plenty of friends by the pools and the slides.

They'll be overwhelmed from the time they board the ship, and there's plenty of places just to explore. As far as motion sickness, just have something on hand just in case, but it's an altogether different kind if motion. They might not even notice, unless someone "suggests" it to them.

Edited by TPFKAH

Taking our first ever cruise on Pride in a month. We are going with our two sons, 12 and 9. Sons are prone to motion sickness. When searching for a cruise this seemed reasonable, but I am not seeing too many activities for the kids (they do not want to try kids camp). Also wanted to try swimming with the dolphins but it was booked. Did we make a mistake with this booking? Is it too late to cancel? Thanks in advance

It's only a mistake if you think it is. Why cancel and lose your money? How can the kids know they don't want to try camp if they've never been a part of it? Of course there aren't too many activities for kids, that's what camp is for. As for motion sickness, don't even plant the idea in their head.

I don't think you made a mistake. Cruises are fun for all ages, even if they don't use the camp. Who knows, maybe they will opt to at least try it and actually like it. If not, still plenty to do. Try looking for an independently operated dolphin tour. Also, with the motion sickness, our son just started to get extremely car sick, but was fine on the cruise. Still planning to have meds on hand this time around as you never know. Talk to your pediatrician about medications for it that you can have on hand just in case. Hope your family has a great time.

Prone to motion sickness and you put them on a ship ??? If they were afraid of heights, would you have them look down from a glass elevator in a sky scraper?

You need to cancel before you ruin their lives and they resent you forever as parents for putting them thru this hellish experience.

I wouldnt worry too much about motion sickness purely for the fact that each ship/journey will have a different motion so while one may make them sick its likely one wont...not to mention that people that get sick from cars/rides etc never get sick on a ship. Stock up on ginger products and get apples from Lido.

Also the ship is a good size with mini golf, a slide and 3 pools (1 is adult only) and it is common for some kids to stay with their parents and have great time without the kids club.We were on Prides sister ship and the kids were having a ball without being in the kids club.

Although next time it may be advisable to book a large ship with more stuff.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Velvetwater

We don't know why the OP mentioned motion sickness. People say kids get sick if they can't see out of a car window, but remedied when they can. Those kids won't likely be sick on a cruise because they are so busy. Consider the volume of kids cruising, they are all over the place.

Don't make a big deal out of potentially being sick (to the kids), just leave it alone and don't plant the idea. How many adult cruisers get (or think) about being sick. They go anyway

I understand the OP's concerns, a cruise is a lot of money and the unknown is making them anxious and second guess the decision.

Attitude is everything though! Get ready to have a fantastic vacation!

Motion: It wouldn't hurt to give the susceptible a daily dramamine as a preventative. The power of suggestion goes far with children, so you may want to talk up the wristbands and how great they are and have the kids wear them. (non-invasive, no drugs, and what could it hurt)

Kid's club: Again, I wouldn't go into it thinking "we don't want to do that". The kids camps are amazing, keep the kids happy and busy with high energy adults that want to entertain (so you can relax a bit!). Your kids may or may not want to spend a lot of time there, but I think you should definitely go the first night to the "welcome" activities and meet the counselors and some of the other kids. On our first cruise, our 13 year old didn't want to sign up, predicting that it would be "lame". We signed her up anyway so she could try out what she wanted. She ended up spending a lot of time with the camp group, and had a great time.

Before our first cruise, I had similar concerns about keeping the kids happy all day long. They turned out to be completely unfounded. The kids were dazzled by the impressiveness of the ship, loved the counselors and couldn't wait to hang out with them, and we rarely saw them as they had "things to do" with their new friends.

We have had only positive experiences with all aspects of cruising, and are taking our fourth family cruise next week, also on the Pride. Cruising has something for everyone, but if you think you won't be happy..... you won't.

Anticipate an adventure, 24/7 pizza and ice cream for the kids, relaxing sit down dinners for you, snacks anytime, a myriad of activities for all of you.

Have a great cruise!

The only mistake you made was booking a first cruise :) Now you will be like us

I didn't cruise as a kid but I can imagine a pool ,waterslide and unlimited ice cream will make them have a great vacation and once you do it you will realize the motion is USUALLY not that bad.They try to steer clear of bad weather

As far as the swimming with dolphins ,you didn't post what ports you will be visiting but if you look at the ports of call boards you will be able to find an independent tour operator who will do what you want (and likely at a better price and more personalized private excursion). Please do not fear not booking through the ship MOST of us here do all the time and never an issue especially if we use the ones suggested here based on word of mouth

Don't worry have a great cruise your family will love it !!

Plenty of people prone to motion sickness cruise having found a way to manage it. There's plenty of information on here with advice and tips to ward off motion sickness for cruisers of all ages. OP should search the family board.

Sailing on the Pride may make it more of a factor only because I've heard there can be some rough sailing going down the atlantic - through the cape by the carolinas. You avoid that sailing out of Florida.

As far as the kids being bored and not wanting to try camp, why are they so close-minded and they've never tried it before? Most kids enjoy the camp. At least have them try it. And if they find it's not for them, there's other things to do onboard. Your funtimes will be loaded with ship activities everyday.

I would pack some meds, read up on managing motion sickness, and vow to enjoy my cruise before I cancelled and lost money. The Pride gets pretty good reviews.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

My kids hate the camps too, but they love cruising. My now 18 yo stopped going to camp at 12, 9 yo stopped at 5. Fine with me, I take family cruises to see them, not to drop them off at camp all day. My oldest brings his ps4 and acts just like he does at home, like a gamer. But be warned, you need to bring a monitor to hook it up to. As for sea sickness, why not stick the patch behind their ear and not worry about it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have been on the Pride twice with my children who are around the same ages as yours and they had a blast! They didn't want to try the camp, but ended up trying and had fun! Whether they were connected with camp or not, they enjoyed themselves!

Also, I am prone to motion sickness and didn't get sick on the Pride. I brought the wrist bands just in case. Just make sure your room isn't towards the front of the ship, as there is obviously more motion up there.

Have fun! You will have a wonderful vacation! We are booked for the third time on the Pride for next year, so I think that speaks volumes! :)

I don't think you made a mistake..you're just anxious because this is something you've never done before with your kids.

I have a 10 yr old and on our last cruise, we took him to Camp Carnival when we first boarded (right after we checked out our room) and talked to one of the counselors, since he's special needs. He walked around the room and looked at all the stuff and really the only thing that interested him were the video games. When I informed him he would NOT be allowed to sit on his butt and play video games all day, he declared it "too babyish" for him. So we let it drop. He spent the cruise hanging out with us doing trivia (which we all love), doing karaoke with me and we even went to the high tea on the sea days together. We got some looks from the other moms who were there doing their girly tea thing but I didn't really give a flip. My son enjoyed having some special one on one time with me and especially the little cakes and cookies and the cucumber sandwiches. :D

Prone to motion sickness and you put them on a ship ??? If they were afraid of heights, would you have them look down from a glass elevator in a sky scraper?

You need to cancel before you ruin their lives and they resent you forever as parents for putting them thru this hellish experience.

Now just stop that !!!

My 8 year old gets nauseous just going to school some days. She was fine with Sea Bands and the occasional Dramamine. She had to leave dinner early once when there was a little movement.

Pack every anti nausea remedy you can find and see what works.

Oh and Camp Carnival was her fav part of the cruise.

Have fun!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The one curmudgeon!!!!!! Drop the panic attack!!!! Today's ships are equipped with bow planes that smooth the seas. DO you really think every cruise line would be building more and more ships and more and more people would be cruising if your fears were realized? NO!

Stop second guessing yourself. Get the wrist bands. Worry not! Let the kids figure out their own vacation, suggest the clubs, but let them decide. Once they are onboard, they will find a ton of things to do!

Enjoy!!!!

Bon Voyage!!!!!

Our two boys were reluctant to do the kids club as well. They pretty much refused. Once we explained that we'd not be cruising anymore if they were not open to new things, they decided to give it a try. They had a great time.

As far as motion sickness, there is a product out now called Emetrol. Pregnant women use it for morning sickness but it is safe for kids. Keeping a full stomach is a good approach and if they do get nausea, green apples are available. Just ask anyone in the buffet area and they can find you some.

Your kids will probably look to you to see how you are handling things. If you are enjoying yourself, then they will too. :)

Unless you are in a storm, unlikely, you will probably not even know the ship is moving. You kids will enjoy every minute. There is so much to see and do and explore. Heck, they may find the secret doors! :eek: In short, you didn't make a mistake unless you cancel. Go! Have fun! Don't worry! And the only "hell" you will be putting yourself through is an instant, impossible to withdraw from, cruise addiction where all your future money will be poured into like a junkie on the monkey.

Edited by dljones