Should the ship help?

But to imply the captain is some sort of god who can't be bothered with ANY issue, ever, no ifs, ands or buts, is to not have a grasp on reality. He's a man. A busy one, sure, but let's say on day 3 of a 7 day cruise the captain has a heart attack and dies. Will the ship sink? Of course not. ;)

Right on! Of course many folks do think of cruise ship captains as god. I'm sure their photo with him/her on formal night sits alongside a crucifix or some other religious icon. What really stirred my emotions in this thread was the purported quote from some staffer: “the captain doesn’t have time to see you, and NEVER will have time to see you!” “Feel free to write to Holland America Company and report this!” If posters don't consider this rude, I'm sure they will be right at home in my home town of Miami.

Okay, one last time: I'm not saying the system should be randomly broken. I'm saying the system should account for that scenario that would mean the captain would talk to a passenger if the situation warranted. In the meantime, his minions can run interference and make sure he's not troubled with nonsense.

But to imply the captain is some sort of god who can't be bothered with ANY issue, ever, no ifs, ands or buts, is to not have a grasp on reality. He's a man. A busy one, sure, but let's say on day 3 of a 7 day cruise the captain has a heart attack and dies. Will the ship sink? Of course not. ;)

No one has implied he's a god that can't be bothered. You just don't seem to have worked in customer service or management. If you had I think you would understand that if you do x for y then z will ask why he didn't get x as well and the problem will only grow exponentially. Sometimes you have to say no just because you can't give that inch. Same thing is often found with raising kids. You have to stand by rules or procedures or you render them pointless and unenforceable.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70

First, you have to understand that right away, the front desk and security staff pretty much knew that your phone was STOLEN. This wasn't the first time or the last time this has or will happen. Yes, you have some responsibility because you left it unattended, but that doesn't change the fact that someone stole it. That person is who you should be angry at!!

Second, what was HAL's obligation to you? That's the question that you asked. IMHO, HAL had an obigation to give it back to you if someone turned it into them. Additionally, if it was an employee who STOLE the phone, HAL has liability for that as well, though you will have to prove that fact (more about that later). They didn't have an obligation to make an announcement, they didn't have an obligation to conduct a search, and they had no obligation to let you speak to the captain. Those requests were unreasonable but I can understand how you might have made those given the stress that you were under. The person who found your phone and then decided to steal it knew the property wasn't there's; they knew that they should turn it in; and HAL knew that the person would know that. How would any of your suggestions change the criminals behavior?

So, what can you do now? All hope isn't lost. Some criminals are stupid. Google "Nelson, iPhone, and Disney Cruise Line" as an example of a criminal who stole an iPhone and got caught. (Nelson worked for Disney Cruise Line). If you use iCloud, check to see if the criminal has pictures downloading there. Check to see if "Find my iPhone" will tell you where the phone is. You may get lucky. Also, if you use iCloud, your apps, music, pictures, etc., are still in the cloud and will be there once you get a new phone. If you haven't been using iCloud or backed up your phone regularly, you should look into it for your next phone.

As a parent, I can understand your worry about your daughter. Hindsight is 20/20, so I'm assuming that she did just fine in China and didn't need you while you didn't have the phone. I know that doesn't make what the criminal did to you OK.

This thread has been closed because of an excessive number of personal shots and other posts not in conformity with our guidelines.

Please refresh your understanding of what is and what is not permitted by our guidelines, especially those that pertain to discussing any thoughts regarding fellow Cruise Critic members.

Thanks.