Set dining times vs theatre shows

Wastegirl

I am asking this question for a friend as I usually travel HAL and my upcoming cruises are with Celebrity. She and her DH are doing a cruise on the Diamond Princess out of Sydney Australia, my friend is the sort who will cram every activity in every waking and if she can manage it, sleeping hour :). She has set dining at 8pm and her only other cruise has been on the very small vessel the Athena (600 pax I think) which set its dining around their show. She said to me she wants to attend every show in the Theatre, is this possible given her dining time, does Princess have an early show that will finish before she needs to go to the MDR or is she better off swapping to an early seating or anytime dining?

She also wants to mingle with the performers and dine with the Captain, I have tried to explain that her experience will be totally different to what she had on the intimate Athena but I am afraid it is falling on deaf ears. Is there a way she can achieve, at least in part, these aims?

Thanks for all your help.

There are usually two shows in the main theater, early and late, to accommodate people from both dinner seatings. Anytime dining would work for them as well.

Regarding the other request, I think she may be disappointed. I've seen performers at very off hours in the buffet and wandering around the ship from time to time but that's been about it, and have never come across a captain's table. Chef's table yes, for a good chunk of extra change :)

I am asking this question for a friend as I usually travel HAL and my upcoming cruises are with Celebrity. She and her DH are doing a cruise on the Diamond Princess out of Sydney Australia, my friend is the sort who will cram every activity in every waking and if she can manage it, sleeping hour :). She has set dining at 8pm and her only other cruise has been on the very small vessel the Athena (600 pax I think) which set its dining around their show. She said to me she wants to attend every show in the Theatre, is this possible given her dining time, does Princess have an early show that will finish before she needs to go to the MDR or is she better off swapping to an early seating or anytime dining?

She also wants to mingle with the performers and dine with the Captain, I have tried to explain that her experience will be totally different to what she had on the intimate Athena but I am afraid it is falling on deaf ears. Is there a way she can achieve, at least in part, these aims?

normally they have the shows on late but sometimes there could be a show on 6.30-7pm so she might be able to catch a few, all times will be in the patter

she wont be able to dine with the captain as thats only for the top 40 cruisers for a special luncheon or cocktail party

not sure about mingle with the performers unless she sees them around the ship in their free time

One night on a recent cruise there was one show scheduled at 7pm, 8:30pm and 10:15pm. A second performer in another venue scheduled at 7:45pm and 9:30pm and Country Music Trivia at 8:30 and Country and Western night at 9:15pm at a third venue.

If your friend wants to try to do it all, early traditional dining or anytime dining will give her more options.

She can skip the dining room and go to all the shows then get something to eat in horizon or ic before or after the shows. Horizon is where she MAY find the entertainers, and she could request a dinner with the captain or other officers.

I would suggest anytime dining especially on the Diamond which has 4 anytime dining rooms. Pacific Moon was our favorite. One night we had our dinner went to the show and then went back for coffee and desert . There isn't an International Cafe on the Diamond.

I have to agree that late traditional dining will present the most conflict with activities. Late diners can always see the Princess Theater show and, if there is a second entertainer in another lounge, can usually see that. But if game shows and trivias and (at least the start of) theme parties are important, they generally conflict with second seating.

We've had late traditional for every cruise, except two cruises ago when we had anytime because we didn't clear the waitlist. We usually can get to any production show we want to see (especially when Princess started offering a shorter show that is put on three times during the evening). Some other activities we might miss if they start during our dinner.

When we had that anytime dining, we noticed the captain and other officers and their wives (probably because it was the holiday cruise) sitting at the very next table. Didn't look like any passengers sitting with them. Doesn't matter to us. And seriously, if you're on a cruise with two thousand other passengers, there isn't a way for the captain to dine with everyone.

When we had that anytime dining' date=' we noticed the captain and other officers and their wives (probably because it was the holiday cruise) sitting at the very next table. Didn't look like any passengers sitting with them. Doesn't matter to us. And seriously, if you're on a cruise with two thousand other passengers, there isn't a way for the captain to dine with everyone.[/quote']

On a Princess ship? I don't think I've even seen any officers eating in the general dining room.

On a Princess ship? I don't think I've even seen any officers eating in the general dining room.

This was on New Years Eve so maybe on holidays, especially with spouses visiting, they would. Hubby said that one of the officers was definitely the captain.

Marry the Captain?

In my experience, a lot of the headliner performers can be found wandering around the ship. For the most part, my interchanges with them have been somewhat less than riveting, though. It's not like Sir Ian McKellen will be doing a show in the Princess Theater.

If your friend does the Ultimate Ship Tour she should get to meet the Captain and at least a couple of the performers :) It's a good tour but a costly way for just a few minutes of their time.