BOGOHO rip off -- but at least it's up front

With the extension of the BOGOHO sale, I decided to start looking for a Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. You always hear complaints about RCI spiking prices before a sale, but now the prices spike in the booking segment of the web site.

I looked at several cruises and started a ghost booking. When selecting cabins the price was say between $800 - $1000 per person. selected cabin, but when clicking on summary of charges - bam price increased $300 pp so the $600 discount I then got was a wash.

Most annoying.

I dunno, except to say that isn't RCI having some serious IT issues? A lot of complaints about what the web site is doing or not doing lately.

Maybe. Hopefully. Still have a southern on the To Do List.

With the extension of the BOGOHO sale, I decided to start looking for a Southern Caribbean out of San Juan. You always hear complaints about RCI spiking prices before a sale, but now the prices spike in the booking segment of the web site.

I looked at several cruises and started a ghost booking. When selecting cabins the price was say between $800 - $1000 per person. selected cabin, but when clicking on summary of charges - bam price increased $300 pp so the $600 discount I then got was a wash.

Most annoying.

The website shows the BOGOHO prices up front, as an average of what the two guests would pay. Only when you click on the details do you see the original price for the first guest and the half off for the second guest. Much as I complain about Royal's website, the way they have programmed the BOGOHO has been consistently working well.

The website shows you the best possible price taking into account any applicable promotions. So the original price you see is the averaged price with the BOGOHO price applied. When you get to the summary you see the actual full price for the first and half for the second passenger price. A little confusing yes but it does work out.

I see why they do it that way, but yes, it is very misleading.

They show (for example) it he cabin starting from $800 per person. You would assume with the BOGOHO, that would mean $800+400, but they have already averaged the 50% off into the price, so it is $800+800.

I see why they do it that way, but yes, it is very misleading.

They show (for example) it he cabin starting from $800 per person. You would assume with the BOGOHO, that would mean $800+400, but they have already averaged the 50% off into the price, so it is $800+800.

Kind of...except it shows the "price starting from" before you even put in the # of passengers. Then, after you go through the process, the prices are jacked. There should be a way to get the "prices from" price for the first person & the 2nd should be half off of that.

Kind of...except it shows the "price starting from" before you even put in the # of passengers. Then, after you go through the process, the prices are jacked. There should be a way to get the "prices from" price for the first person & the 2nd should be half off of that.

I agree.

They recently upgraded their software. I paid for my reservation. Have confirmation. Bought restaurant reservations. Even though I paid for them, the system says that I still owe money for it, and it is on my main reservation. It is not supposed to do that. I cannot print out my boarding passes or complete my online check in because their programs think I owe money with no way to pay what I already have paid for.

They are working on it. They said about 500 reservations are messed up from the glitch.

Most annoying.

I agree, did a mock booking, it showed a JS for 1002 per person, then when you do all of the selections, it becomes over 1300 with a 652 dollar discount, so my ? is why the difference? You are not saving any money, the price is being jacked up to recover the discount.

I can see how it appears to be working. But frankly, when I search for a cruise and the very first results page says "from $900" for a balcony, I really expect I'm paying $900 for me and $450 for the guest. I'd really rather it say $1200 if it's really $1200 and see the discount after the fact.

The bottom line is much cheaper than a similar cruise in 2014. I guess seeing how it works and knowing how that first results page really works, it makes more sense.

Thanks for the responses! Can always count on cruise critic.

Agreed with all of the above. Even before the sale, I was pricing may 2015 sailings on Oasis. I thought the buy one get one 50% off would bring the overall price down, however, in the end it ended up being the same price. I'm sure there are some deals out there but definitely not with the sailings I've been looking at - just jacked up prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Those so called sales are to fool people that dont know the games they play. ITS NO SALE!!! Now that the WOW sale started they jacked up the prices on a C2 balcony that we were looking at from $1790 to $2163.

I agree, did a mock booking, it showed a JS for 1002 per person, then when you do all of the selections, it becomes over 1300 with a 652 dollar discount, so my ? is why the difference? You are not saving any money, the price is being jacked up to recover the discount.

Youre 1000% correct, some people fall for it.

I had booked the Legend 11 day Southern cruise for Jan 15. Inside was $1064.00 each. When I saw a price drop I called RCI and my fare went up $60.00, however, my DW fare went down $562.00. I kept the same cabin I had earlier selected.

Those so called sales are to fool people that dont know the games they play. ITS NO SALE!!! Now that the WOW sale started they jacked up the prices on a C2 balcony that we were looking at from $1790 to $2163.

WOW! I'm glad you clued me in to this, otherwise I would have been mislead into believing that the cruises I re-priced and the new cruises I booked were actually real sales:eek:

I guess these numbers don't really exist:

Re-priced:

$3413 to $2653

$1483 to $1209

$3324 to $2682

New:

$2062 to $1656

$1895 to $1497

How could I have been so easily fooled:rolleyes:

BTW, if the cruise you were looking at was $1790, and the new price was $2163, then the BOGOHO price would work out to $1622 :)

Edited by orville99

Another factor is when there are multiple dates listed for the same ship/itinerary. The prices fluctuate depending on the date you are choosing, so the first price you see on the first page is the cheapes room on the cheapest sailing date. It's not until you go into the date you want, and the stateroom type is chosen that you see the price reflected for your ship/date. It is misleading, but I understand why it says "starting from". Nevertheless, it's frustrating thinking your price could be lower.

Hence, why I obsessively watch my cruise prices for price drops!

While I have read about many prices increasing, I was able to get a $431 drop, a $100 OBC and a refund for 1/2 of my deposit on a cruise I booked 2 months ago. So for some, it has been a pretty decent sale :) I guess it's like any sale, it will work for some but not for everyone.

Just like other's have mentioned even from other posts, if you happened to have caught the BOGOHO sale in the first day or two, then you would have potenially gotten a fabulous price.

Mine for example. Before the BOGOHO sale started, the price for 1st and 2nd person was 1369 p/p. On the second day of the BOGOGO sale, the price was still 1369 p/p and I was able to get the 50% the second person. When I looked Friday, 1st and 2nd person was up to 1919 p/p. So that went up considerable. I'm sure it will go back down once it is over.

Just like other's have mentioned even from other posts, if you happened to have caught the BOGOHO sale in the first day or two, then you would have potenially gotten a fabulous price.

Mine for example. Before the BOGOHO sale started, the price for 1st and 2nd person was 1369 p/p. On the second day of the BOGOGO sale, the price was still 1369 p/p and I was able to get the 50% the second person. When I looked Friday, 1st and 2nd person was up to 1919 p/p. So that went up considerable. I'm sure it will go back down once it is over.

I was really afraid mine would skyrocket so I did take advantage day one(hour one actually ;) ) however it is the same price today (base) as it was the week before the BOGO sale started. Maybe because it is a year out?

I Sail Solo, And I Lucked Out With This Sale, I Booked 2 Cruises Last Month, May 01, 2014, The First Day Of The Sale!!!

First Cruise 4-15, 7 Day,Jewel Of The Seas Southern Caribbean, St. Thomas, St.Croix, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada!!! $948.00 Fir Inside Cabin:)

Now The Price Is $1,132:eek: I Saved $184.00!!!

Second Cruise 7 Day, Independence Of The Seas, Eastern Caribbean, San Juan, St.Kitts, St. Marteen, 3 Sea Days, And My Birthday Cruise, I Paid $883.00, For A Promenade Cabin, The Price Is NOW $1,162.00 :eek:, I Saved $279.00!!!:)

Royal Caribbean DO Offer Great Rates, IF You Booked The First OR, Second Day Of The Sale!

Edited by Big Jay

We did ghost bookings on two different computers for the same cruise and date. The prices on each were different. We then called Carnival and got an even lower price. We ended up with a mid ship ocean view balcony on Oasis for slightly over $800 pp. That was the final figure after all the port fees, taxes, and Diamond discount. For this cruise the BOGOHO worked well.

When we re-priced our 2015 NYE cruise on Brilliance on 5/1, the total price came down from ~$3500 to $2682. It is still showing as $2682 a month later, so not all the prices have "skyrocketed"

many of those who say they got a great deal had already agreed to pay a jacked up price from the start, then got the bogoho so they think its great. when in fact its ok , nothing more than a price reduction and sales technique to drum up business and fill the ships for next year up quicker.

i caught the bogoho the first day and while it was a good price it wasnt the best ,nor the best iv gotten. i see there are some great deals inside 60 days. i do realize not everyone can do that though.

Edited by Harooni