Caribbean Princess..in good Shape??

Nan-L

Thinking of sailing on her this January and was wondering when or if she's been in dry dock.

Any info appreciated..

I was just on CB last weekend. The dry dock didn't do much. The ship isn't all fresh and spiffy, but I wouldn't say she's in bad condition. In fact, she looks pretty well maintained.

FYI, "dry" dock simply means routine maintenance of the ship below the water line that can only be done with the ship out of the water. Unless a major addition is planned, most updating of the ship is done constantly with passengers on board.

FYI, "dry" dock simply means routine maintenance of the ship below the water line that can only be done with the ship out of the water. Unless a major addition is planned, most updating of the ship is done constantly with passengers on board.

Exactly. The vast majority of what takes place in dry dock will never been seen by passengers. In CB's case they did add a few cabins and replaced some carpeting, but the bulk of the maintenance you are referring to is done on an on-going basis.

I'm not sure where all these rumors are coming from lately about the CB being in bad shape and giving poor service. I think there are plenty of accounts of her being just fine. Remember, reviews are very subjective and some people have very elevated expectations. The smallest imperfection will set them off on a tirade about how terrible their cruise was. These are the same people you usually see treating the crew like their personal servants and then they wonder why staff isn't chomping at the bit to help them.

I have no doubt you will have a great time on the CB :)

PS...CarolynR....I lived in Johnson VT for 10 years till I got tired of freezing and paying outrageous taxes :)

I can understand the confusion. Other cruise lines tend to conduct a full refurbishment while a ship is in a scheduled dry dock. Perhaps that's not typical of Princess but because it is with others, it's normal for people who cruise other lines to think the ship would look new afterwards.

I know I was a little surprised at how the hull looked. Again, it didn't look bad. It just wasn't a fresh paint job like one would expect after a dry dock.

Edited by Aquahound

We were on the first cruise after dry dock and noticed....

- Lots of carpet replaced in the public areas

- Deep cleaning of cabins including carpet, replacement of drapes, sheers & some bedding - pillows for sure

- Public areas of the ship also seemed very clean

- Most railings of decks had been recently varnished

- Exterior hull is in need of painting