Has any one had luck scoring an upgrade at the pier lately?

Due to the nature of my reservation, I am not eligible for any pre-cruise cabin upgrades. I was told that upon embarkation, if any staterooms are available I would be eligible to upgrade at that point.

As of right now, 6 days prior to sailing on the Breakaway, 25% of categories still have availability.

Has anyone attempted to upgrade at the pier lately? If so what category did you upgrade from/to and what was the cost?

semantics :cool:

Not really, the folks at the pier are not NCL employee's. We've never been on an NCL cruise that did not have a sign at guest services stating "No rooms available for upgrade", I guess it's possible. If they were available, the cost would be the difference between what you paid for your ticket and the current price of the cabin you are looking for. If it were routinely possible, the line at guest services would be hundreds long of folks wanting a cheap upgade.

I don't understand what type of booking you have that won't let you pay for an upgrade?

You state 25% of the staterooms are currently available, I'm not sure where you can see that, but this is the time they start calling booked passengers for upsells if they are available. Good luck!! It doesn't cost a thing to ask except for the time you spend in line at guest services. Have a great cruise!!!

I don't understand what type of booking you have that won't let you pay for an upgrade?

You state 25% of the staterooms are currently available, I'm not sure where you can see that, but this is the time they start calling booked passengers for upsells if they are available. Good luck!! It doesn't cost a thing to ask except for the time you spend in line at guest services. Have a great cruise!!!

I'm on a TA reduced rate that is not eligible for upgrade until on the ship as I'm considered a non-revenue client.

And it's not that 25% of staterooms are available, but rather 25% of the categories still have availability. There's a fairly popular website that tracks these drops. So it could be that there's 1 cabin left in each of the 18 categories that have listed availability- but with the aggressive price drops in the past 4 days, it's likely there's more than 1 cabin left in each aforementioned category. I don't really feel like hopping on the NCL website to count cabins.

Edited by TravelDiva88

Due to the nature of my reservation, I am not eligible for any pre-cruise cabin upgrades. I was told that upon embarkation, if any staterooms are available I would be eligible to upgrade at that point.

As of right now, 6 days prior to sailing on the Breakaway, 25% of categories still have availability.

Has anyone attempted to upgrade at the pier lately? If so what category did you upgrade from/to and what was the cost?

They will not let you pay to upgrade? Or you want something for nothing?

They will not let you pay to upgrade? Or you want something for nothing?

There are not paid upgrade opportunities currently. That's been the response I've received when I inquired last week. They suggested I speak to guest services upon embarkation.

I understand the rationale, just wanted to know the chances of something being available once we're there.

Edited by TravelDiva88

There are not paid upgrade opportunities currently. That's been the response I've received when I inquired last week. They suggested I speak to guest services upon embarkation.

I understand the rationale, just wanted to know the chances of something being available once we're there.

I was able to obtain an additional cabin upon embarkation at guest services. When I first went, they took my name and cabin number and said they would call me after we departed, and they did. So - just go to guest services and ask.

If you or your agency is a strong performer your rep may be able to pull some strings. I recently faced a similar situation; when one of my favorite category staterooms became available I was able to pay for the upgrade, but only after my rep went to bat for me. The general reservation folks could do nothing.

Breakaway was full last week and no upgrades. It pretty much filled up at the end, lower rates to residents I suspect. With schools being out soon, I expect the rest of the sailings will be full too!

I sure do not know, but can not imagine anything being different upon boarding vs in advance.

Based on what folks have said here, upgrades are rare.

They are rare, have been for years. OP, regardless of what you might be seeing, my advise, don't get your heart set on upgrading. It doesn't hurt to ask though. Many years ago, we did get one and at no extra cost. it was still the same cabin, just on a higher deck. Others who asked for them, had to pay extra (it was our anniversary) Since then we have only tried twice (both times with one of our daughters doing the asking) both times, nothing was available. I will tell you, if they do have any you will have to wait til the ship has sailed, then they will call you. In the meanwhile, you can't unpack, you can't do much of anything. My advise, unless the cabin category you have is really awful, just be happy with what you have. We used to use Airline rates all the time (no more) and we were just happy with the price we paid.

Edited by newmexicoNita

Nobody has been successful in fact you can't upgrade or change cabins at the pier. If any cabins are available you will need to check onboard at the Guest Services desk.

But when you visit Guest Services Desk as soon as you board it would be at the pier.

:D

I would think that the chances of getting an upgrade would be pretty slim. I am sure NCL would have been calling with up sales before the ship was at the pier.

I am leaving on Breakaway in 3 days. I called yesterday and after two hours on the phone was switched from an inside deck 5 and balcony deck 8 to two balconies deck 12 for NO extra charge. Never hurts to ask, especially if you have time to be on hold. Definitely worth two hours of phone time. . . Plus, I was given my choice of 6 different balcony cabins on deck 12 so there must be more than a few unsold cabins.

I'm on a TA reduced rate that is not eligible for upgrade until on the ship as I'm considered a non-revenue client. ...

Before folks answer with their experience, please read the above post.