Alaska on the Pearl May 25-June 1

Had an absolute BLAST!!

The day started great, embarkation was fast as we were there at 10:40 am and were on the ship by 11:30.

It was raining in Seattle (no surprise, but the other time I went on this cruise, it was sunny) so the sail away party was in Spinnaker. The weather the rest of the trip was partly cloudy, not a drop of rain the whole trip that I know of.

My grandkids had a great time at Splash Academy, what a fun thing for them!

we never tried any other restaurants, the Garden Cafe was sufficient for us and the food was great.

we had some excitement on the 1st sea day (Monday) as the captain (Gunnar Hammerin) announced that there was a medical emergency and we would be turning a bit to accomodate a helicopter. My granddaughter and I were in the Guppy Pool (in the Guppie area...the area for the under 3 kids) and we felt the ship shudder as it slowed and turned. We heard later from the captain that she was airlifted to the hospital and after surgery went home.

Will be back later with more :) have to unpack....

Going to be on the Pearl in 12 days with my three grandsons, can't wait for the rest of your review!! Tell me about the Splash Academy! I have a 10y/o (birthday on the cruise), a 4 y/o and a 16 month old as well as my daughter and a good friend!

I was just pricing Alaska cruises on NCL this morning. I am looking forward to your review.

What month you looking at? I just returned from 10 day Pearl on 5/18. Wish I was still on board. I talked to other cruisers on the Pearl...who have gotten some great deals for the 10 day cruises in May.

I'm retired...so much more flexible. I paid $2269 total for wife and I... for my recent 10 day. Purchased this past March. I had a choice of ....If I recall correctly...23 balcony cabins on decks 9 & 10.

We are going on the 10 day Pearl or Sun next May. I'll watch prices daily..starting in Feb. 2015.

Hope you get a price you like and have a great cruise!

What month you looking at? I just returned from 10 day Pearl on 5/18. Wish I was still on board. I talked to other cruisers on the Pearl...who have gotten some great deals for the 10 day cruises in May.

I'm retired...so much more flexible. I paid $2269 total for wife and I... for my recent 10 day. Purchased this past March. I had a choice of ....If I recall correctly...23 balcony cabins on decks 9 & 10.

We are going on the 10 day Pearl or Sun next May. I'll watch prices daily..starting in Feb. 2015.

Hope you get a price you like and have a great cruise!

For grins I priced Sep 2015 and while I did mention it to DW I do not think she will want to book anything, at least at this point in time.

The ship was rocking a bit as we went out into open water on Monday...I used Sea Bands and I still have them on as even as I am typing, I feel like I"m moving a bit. They really worked for me to prevent the nausea and dizzyness, and as I said before in another thread, I can't use the Transderm Scop, I had a reaction to it that was a little frightening..I would go into a room and couldn't think of what I was doing, so I took it off. (I tried it before the cruisea) We signed the kids up for Splash Academy. Since it was raining, the pools were empty, so my grandson wanted to swim anyway. felt like we had the ship to ourselves lol

I had an inside cabin, and will probably do that again. I am claustrophobic, and was hesitant, but was fine. The TV with the view outside the ship helped. I liked the set-up of the bathroom better than the balcony. The toilet is out in the open, with the shower being behind the glass partition. In the balcony, the toilet is in an enclosure that's pretty cramped.

One thing that was fun was the Happy Happy Washy Washy crew at the Garden Cafe. They learned the grandkids names and greeted them warmly every time we went in :) The crew definitely goes all out. How they do that week to week with little time off...it's amazing.

Going to be on the Pearl in 12 days with my three grandsons, can't wait for the rest of your review!! Tell me about the Splash Academy! I have a 10y/o (birthday on the cruise), a 4 y/o and a 16 month old as well as my daughter and a good friend!

Splash Academy ROCKS :) They were gone to this in the morning AND at night till 10:30, so parents can see shows. They don't HAVE to stay there, but my grandkids wanted to stay, they were having so much fun. They have a show at the end in the theater called Big Top At Sea Circus Show. So much fun. They have a Guppy area for the under 3 kids (parents have to stay with them)with activities every day, and a small swimming pool. NONE of the pools are heated that I could tell, but they weren't ice cold by any means. The kids didn't much mind till they had been in for a while, the air temp wasn't warm most of the time.

I can't figure out my scanner *thumps forehead* I wanted to print out all the Freestyle Dailies. it says there's a connection problem. I have it attached by a USB cord, so who knows.

One problem was the pool. There was a "Kid Pool" and an Adult Pool. They were both almost the same depth. My grandson couldn't touch. The Guppy pool is too small. They need a shallower pool for the in-between kids.

I'm gonna go take a nap, I'm exhausted lol Stayed up way too late, got up way too early, lots of sleep debt :o

Edited by Traveller20074