Venice Airport

Canadian Eagle

I would appreciate any info regarding the connection between the Venice Airport Terminal and the Water Taxi depot. Is the walk flat and smooth? Is it covered? How long do you wait for the taxi and what is the transit time? I am trying to compare the walk at the airport to the walk to our hotel (Al Sole) if we take a regular taxi and then decide if it is worth the extra cost to take the water taxi. After flying all night I want to have as smooth of transfer as possible.

Thanks

It is a 7 minute covered walk to the water taxi's. Back when I used the waterbus to the airport, there was a courtesy shuttle that took you to the airport but it doesn't indicate that this is still there on the airport website. Personally... if you are going to spend 100 Euros on a water taxi, it makes more sense to stay at the Santa Chiara or Ca Doge where the airport bus drops off in Piazzale Roma instead. The bus is comfortable and costs on 6 Euros- no tipping expected or allowed. The water taxi is hard to get in and out of and they will expect a tip. In fact, they might demand one if someone helps lift the bags on and off for you.

In the end- staying in Piazzale Roma is cheaper getting to and from the ship- even if the hotels in Piazzale Roma are more expensive. If you stay at the Al Sole- you are automatically adding 200 Euros extra for the water taxis from the airport and to the ship.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I haven't used the water taxi, but there is info about the service, tickets, how to reach the dock, etc in this link:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/water-taxis.htm

On our last visit we stayed about a block away from your hotel. It's an easy walk from Piazzale Roma, 8-10 minutes with 2 smallish bridges to cross. We took the ATVO Express Bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma; it's like a greyhound bus, luggage hold underneath, takes 15-20 minutes makes no stops, and costs 7E pp. Quick and easy. I think it leaves at 20 and 50 minutes past the hour.

The hotel is quite easy to find, but be sure to bring the map! Actually, veniceforvisitors has walking instructions to your very hotel. http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/directions/al-sole.htm

p.s. about 2 blocks beyond your hotel is a small storefront that sells pizza slices. yummy and reasonable.

Edited by mapleleaves

I never know the ages of the people who are posting and try to keep in mind that they might not be able to easily find a hotel in Venice. It can be very confusing. When I traveled there with my then 5 year old a few years ago- the Hotel Antice Figure looked so close to Piazzale Roma. However, I had trouble getting to it and took the obvious route which was over a tall bridge. Now picture a five year old- two roller carryons and two roller bags. What do I do? Had to leave my child unattended with three bags, lift the first large bag over to the other side- then the next large bag to the other side. Meanwhile my suitcases are now unattended on the other side of said bridge. Then went back to get my 5 year old and the two carryons. Yikes! Talk about welcome to Venice. After we settled in, I scouted out an easier route over a smaller bridge but this wasn't something that a first timer to Venice would have been able to figure out on zero sleep.

If you say the bridges to Al Sole are small and easy for reasonably fit people to navigate I believe you. Problem is when you get to Venice it is so easy to get lost trying to find an address.

If you say the bridges to Al Sole are small and easy for reasonably fit people to navigate I believe you. Problem is when you get to Venice it is so easy to get lost trying to find an address.

I think the directions I posted for the hotel are pretty clear. I forgot mine so we got lost looking for our hotel.:o Hopefully the OP will remember to bring the directions.

My mother was 80 at the time of the last trip and had no problem with the 2 bridges. The Calatrava Bridge was a different story!

Edited by mapleleaves

• 2 weeks later...
The bus is comfortable and costs on 6 Euros- no tipping expected or allowed. The water taxi is hard to get in and out of and they will expect a tip. In fact, they might demand one if someone helps lift the bags on and off for you.

Hi. Can you please give me some idea of how much I should tip?

Thanks.

-Deb D.

10 Euros will be about right if the water taxi driver helps you get your bags on and off. Watch out for a stranger helping with bags. This has only happened to me once... I took a water taxi from our hotel to the train station. When we arrived at the train station, there was a man there helping to lift our bags off the water taxi. I was settling up with the driver and this little man was making a bee line for the train station. I was yelling out to him, that I could take it from there and didn't need his help with our luggage but he just kept walking. We get into the train station and this guy has our two bags. I hand him 5 Euros and he says "NO! 20". I was like NO! He pretends not to speak English and yells for the Police! Now I'm thinking, this guy is either calling my bluff or the police are in on it. I gave him the 20 and walked to the train. My son was so mad at me for giving in but I was in a strange country and worried that this man would lie to the cops in Italian.

Now if that wasn't bad enough, I was so upset that I went straight to the train. We both had three day train passes and I didn't get them stamped in the station. I thought I could get it stamped on the train- WRONG! The conductor made me purchase two tickets on the train. So 20 Euros and another 200 Euros (for my own mistake) later... I was hating Italy but then the beautiful mountains leading to Bolzano cheered me up.

So- do NOT let anyone besides the water taxi driver touch your bags. Won't be a problem when dropped off at the hotel though.

I would appreciate any info regarding the connection between the Venice Airport Terminal and the Water Taxi depot. Is the walk flat and smooth? Is it covered? How long do you wait for the taxi and what is the transit time? I am trying to compare the walk at the airport to the walk to our hotel (Al Sole) if we take a regular taxi and then decide if it is worth the extra cost to take the water taxi. After flying all night I want to have as smooth of transfer as possible.

Thanks

We are flying in overnight and have never been to Venice. We decided to book a water taxi from the airport with a company that will meet us in Arrivals, drive us over to the airport water taxi and drop us off at our hotel Antiche Figure. The company was even nice enough to say we could do it much cheaper by car because the hotel was near Piazzale Roma. We decided that because we had never been to Venice and because we wanted a no thinking arrival, that we would treat ourselves and arrive in style lol. I don't know if I can mention the company if I haven't used them yet but if you want to email me - cjj dot johnson at gmail dot com - I can send the info and prices to you.

What is the best non-expensive way to get from the cruise terminal to the airport? I don't mind walking a bit if that is necessary.

Since you're willing to walk 'a bit' I suggest that you take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma (1E for the 3 minute ride), In Piazzale Roma, catch the ATVO express bus to the airport ( 7E for the 15-20 minute ride). The bus is like a greyhound bus, with a luggage hold beneath.

The bus stop is about a block walk after you get off the People Mover. Buses leave twice an hr at 20 and 50 minutes after the hour. Depending on where your ship is berthed it might be a few blocks to reach the People Mover, but it's flat.

You'll find info on the bus, and people mover in this link:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

Since you're willing to walk 'a bit' I suggest that you take the People Mover to Piazzale Roma (1E for the 3 minute ride), In Piazzale Roma, catch the ATVO express bus to the airport ( 7E for the 15-20 minute ride). The bus is like a greyhound bus, with a luggage hold beneath.

The bus stop is about a block walk after you get off the People Mover. Buses leave twice an hr at 20 and 50 minutes after the hour. Depending on where your ship is berthed it might be a few blocks to reach the People Mover, but it's flat.

You'll find info on the bus, and people mover in this link:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

We were just in Venice Jun 8-10. We used the People Mover for our first day (since the ship overnighted). Depending upon where your ship is docked, it can be a bit of a hike to get to the People Mover. The actual "station" is surrounded by a wire fence and looks like an abandoned small building, but does have an escalator and elevator to get to the top. There is plenty of room in each car for luggage unless it happens to be crowded with people. The price if I remember is now 1.3E one-way. We were going to use the People Mover the next day to get to Piazzale Roma but decided with luggage and 3 people, we would take a taxi. They have a flat rate of 20E to go to Piazzale Roma (yes it is expensive but we were glad we didn't lug the luggage to the People Mover). The ATVO airport buses from P. le Roma to Marco Polo airport start at 5:00am, then 5:40am, 6:20, 6:50, 7:20, 7:50, etc., according to the schedule we were given. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the airport. We bought tickets the day before at the ATVO ticket counter at P. le Roma, although I think, but not sure, the bus driver will sell you a ticket. The tickets are not for a specific date or time. The cost was 6E one-way per person. The other option is to take a cab from P. le Roma to the airport and the flat rate advertised was 40E. I don't know the cost of a cab from the cruise terminal to the airport. The bus was very easy to use, fast, and dropped us off right at the departure door of the airport.

Edited by Denverite

Thanks everyone.

We are going to use the People Mover and bus. Our flight is at noon.

If we leave the ship around 8:00 (it gets in the day before) we should be at the airport by 9:30, I figure.

Does this timeline make sense?

If you are going to get in a taxi- don't go to Piazzale Roma for 20 Euros. You will have to buy bus tickets 6 Euros each. So now you are into 32 Euros. Spend 45 and go to the airport.

Is €45 not more than €32 ??

Thanks everyone.

If we leave the ship around 8:00 (it gets in the day before) we should be at the airport by 9:30, I figure.

Does this timeline make sense?

Probably. It will take some time to get your luggage (unless you walk off with it) and walk to the people mover. If you get to Piazzale Roma in time for the 8:50 bus you'll be at the airport just before 9:30. The bus schedule can be found here: http://www.atvo.it/images_doc/linee/Linea_35_-_dal_30.03_al_25.10.2014.pdf

Thanks everyone.

If we leave the ship around 8:00 (it gets in the day before) we should be at the airport by 9:30, I figure. Does this timeline make sense?

You should be fine. Do you know how many other ships are disembarking that day? Sometimes the People Mover can get jammed up if several ships are disembarking, but it's only a 3 minute ride so the line moves.

On our last trip we had a noon flight to JFK. We caught the 9:20am ATVO bus and arrived at the airport at 9:35. But due to the long lines we only had about 10 minutes to spare before boarding. So if you miss that 9:20am bus, don't wait for the 9:50am; catch a cab. Have a great trip!

Is €45 not more than €32 ??

Just seems like a huge waste to pay 20 Euros to Piazzale Roma with a surly cab driver, who will dump you in the middle of the parking lot and drive off in a huff. The drivers at the port are looking for airport runs and aren't pleasant- been there.

You do realize that there is going to be one 9:20 bus to the airport. You aren't the only people getting on the bus and people start to line up there much before that. So there is no guarantee you are getting on the bus. I have done the airport bus both coming and going but never on the day of disembarkation. Even on a normal day, when you aren't contending with cruise passengers, the people get in line for the bus at least 30 minutes in advance. So ok- you miss the bus... now you have to spend at least 45 Euros on a taxi anyway and now you've lugged your crap to Piazzale Roma.

Personally- if I'm going to spend thousands of dollars going to Europe- then spending more a few Euros more to have a more relaxing end to a vacation... I'll pay the 45 Euros (instead of 15 for the people mover and bus for two people)- to not have to deal with the luggage, crowds and worry of getting to the airport on time. Think of it as an excursion. You can probably share a cab with another couple if it's large enough.

It's an easy walk from airport to water taxi even with loads of luggage. We've done it a few times. Taxis come and go all the time so never much of a wait. We find it a relaxing way to travel. There's something about the breeze in your face as the taxi speeds along, one of my favourite bits...... We usually stay at the hilton in Venice and we regard the cost of taxi as part of the trip. Would be a bit of a hassle to get to the hotel by other means. We've always done a taxi to and from ship too, but love using water buses around Venice.

You do realize that there is going to be one 9:20 bus to the airport. You aren't the only people getting on the bus and people start to line up there much before that. So there is no guarantee you are getting on the bus. I have done the airport bus both coming and going but never on the day of disembarkation. Even on a normal day, when you aren't contending with cruise passengers, the people get in line for the bus at least 30 minutes in advance..

That's why it's a good idea to find out how many ships are disembarking that day.

OTOH, I've used the ATVO bus several times and my experience has been that the 25 people waiting in line were the only people who boarded except for 5-6 stragglers.

If they're off the ship by 8am, they'll probably make the 8:50am bus. Heck you can walk from the pier to PRoma and catch the 8:50 bus! Depends on how much luggage you're schlepping. I was surprised at how many people walked to the pier from PRoma.

We were just in Venice Jun 8-10. We used the People Mover for our first day (since the ship overnighted). Depending upon where your ship is docked, it can be a bit of a hike to get to the People Mover. The actual "station" is surrounded by a wire fence and looks like an abandoned small building, but does have an escalator and elevator to get to the top. There is plenty of room in each car for luggage unless it happens to be crowded with people. The price if I remember is now 1.3E one-way. We were going to use the People Mover the next day to get to Piazzale Roma but decided with luggage and 3 people, we would take a taxi. They have a flat rate of 20E to go to Piazzale Roma (yes it is expensive but we were glad we didn't lug the luggage to the People Mover). The ATVO airport buses from P. le Roma to Marco Polo airport start at 5:00am, then 5:40am, 6:20, 6:50, 7:20, 7:50, etc., according to the schedule we were given. It takes about 20 minutes to get to the airport. We bought tickets the day before at the ATVO ticket counter at P. le Roma, although I think, but not sure, the bus driver will sell you a ticket. The tickets are not for a specific date or time. The cost was 6E one-way per person. The other option is to take a cab from P. le Roma to the airport and the flat rate advertised was 40E. I don't know the cost of a cab from the cruise terminal to the airport. The bus was very easy to use, fast, and dropped us off right at the departure door of the airport.

We have a 6:30 am flight. I want to be there when the airport opens at 5am. Does anyone know how difficult it may be to get a cab from Piazalle Roma at 4:30am? Would this be something my hotel could arrange?

We have a 6:30 am flight. I want to be there when the airport opens at 5am. Does anyone know how difficult it may be to get a cab from Piazalle Roma at 4:30am? Would this be something my hotel could arrange?

I've never had an early flight from Venice so I have no personal experience, but from what I've read on this forum, people have a reservation for an early ride because taxis aren't sitting around PRoma at 4:30am.

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I just completed a cruise in Venice and flew out of VCE. I thought our experience at VCE would be worth sharing. For those of you who just want top line, this it it: the recommendation to arrive 3 hours before the flight is a good one.

For the details: We were flying Delta non-stop to Atlanta, on an 11:50 AM flight. We arrived two hours and forty five minutes before departure.

1: There are no electronic kiosks at Delta for check-in.

2: The check-in line was long. It intertwined with another airline making it confusing. It took over an hour and 20 minutes to make it to the counter.

3: Before getting to the ticket counter, you will show your passport to Italian authorities. This process really slowed down check in. For instance, in front of us a man had an expired green card, so that shut down movement while another official come over to resolve it.

4: If you think the priority seating line will make it faster for you, it won't. I was in economy and actually got through faster than some priority people right beside me. This is a combination of the #3 above and the fact that so many people are in priority now.

5: After the passport check, you will have another wait to actually get to the counter for a paper ticket. You will show passports again.

6: Security line is strict. I fly frequently on business so I thought I had security down. However they are much more strict on what counts as liquid, and a small Neosporin I forgot about meant I got swabbed down. My wife, in a different line, also got pulled aside and swabbed for no reason. They almost made me go to the back of the line, but I just threw stuff away. Summary: the security lines move slower.

7: There is a THIRD passport check. After getting through security (now we are at 1.5 hours), we headed to the gate hoping for time to get coffee, bathroom, maybe last minute duty free shopping. However, for international flights, there was yet ANOTHER line, this one stretching back with at least 200 people. As the woman in front of me said, "Do you think we'll make this flight?" As I got to the front of the line, many people were trying to break line because their flight was having last call.

8: It took us 2.5 hours to get from check-in to the plane. No time for coffee or bathrooms.

Just a heads-up to be prepared at this airport. I realize others might have shorter waits, but I say show up and if you breeze through, enjoy your time having a nice cup of coffee before you leave Venice.

Hope that helps someone.

Greg

I agree with the above. We flew out of Venice airport on July 14th and there were many lines to wait in and multiple security checks. That being said we arrived via water taxi and were offered a shuttle to the terminal for 25 euros a person which we turned down. We were glad we did since the walk only took us about 5 minutes and we had 4 large pieces of luggage. Once inside you can only check in within 2.5-3 hours of your flight. They are very serious about this and many people were rudely told to get away from the self service kiosks. We were able to make our flight without a problem however, we arrived at the airport at 7:45 for a 10:50 flight to the US.

My wife and I just completed a cruise in Venice and flew out of VCE. I thought our experience at VCE would be worth sharing. For those of you who just want top line, this it it: the recommendation to arrive 3 hours before the flight is a good one.

For the details: We were flying Delta non-stop to Atlanta, on an 11:50 AM flight. We arrived two hours and forty five minutes before departure.

1: There are no electronic kiosks at Delta for check-in.

2: The check-in line was long. It intertwined with another airline making it confusing. It took over an hour and 20 minutes to make it to the counter.

3: Before getting to the ticket counter, you will show your passport to Italian authorities. This process really slowed down check in. For instance, in front of us a man had an expired green card, so that shut down movement while another official come over to resolve it.

4: If you think the priority seating line will make it faster for you, it won't. I was in economy and actually got through faster than some priority people right beside me. This is a combination of the #3 above and the fact that so many people are in priority now.

5: After the passport check, you will have another wait to actually get to the counter for a paper ticket. You will show passports again.

6: Security line is strict. I fly frequently on business so I thought I had security down. However they are much more strict on what counts as liquid, and a small Neosporin I forgot about meant I got swabbed down. My wife, in a different line, also got pulled aside and swabbed for no reason. They almost made me go to the back of the line, but I just threw stuff away. Summary: the security lines move slower.

7: There is a THIRD passport check. After getting through security (now we are at 1.5 hours), we headed to the gate hoping for time to get coffee, bathroom, maybe last minute duty free shopping. However, for international flights, there was yet ANOTHER line, this one stretching back with at least 200 people. As the woman in front of me said, "Do you think we'll make this flight?" As I got to the front of the line, many people were trying to break line because their flight was having last call.

8: It took us 2.5 hours to get from check-in to the plane. No time for coffee or bathrooms.

Just a heads-up to be prepared at this airport. I realize others might have shorter waits, but I say show up and if you breeze through, enjoy your time having a nice cup of coffee before you leave Venice.

Hope that helps someone.

Greg

So odd to me. We arrived at the airport at 10:45 AM for a 1:15 PM flight and were at the gate within 15 minutes. Sat there twiddling our thumbs, got lunch, did last-minute shopping etc. Absolutely none of the hassles that you had to go through, certainly not three security checks. The only difference was, we were not getting off a cruise and there was no evidence of large groups of people coming through such as would have departed a cruise ship. I'm sure that must make a huge difference, so it may pay to stay over an extra day to fly out once the majority of cruise passengers have departed.